Need some help please....Mac user... - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2013, 12:31 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Linux works but what about macs?
Of course. If any given Mac user can manage to get Windows XP running in any kind of virtual machine, then they can run the MathCAD Explorer just as I did. Linux has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
If you are willing to run Windows in a virtual machine, what is the objection to running it on hardware designed for it?
Quite simply; I hate Windows. With a passion. It only deserves to be run in a VM for the odd occasions that I actually need to run Windows for something (which is about 2 or 3 times a year). Installing it on one of my PCs would be a waste of a perfectly good PC. Even my daughters and wife run Linux.

For the record, I am not much more fond of OS X (hence, my 8 hour ownership of a Mac).

Quote:
I don't want to get into a mac vs pc discussion here but, there are a lot of science and engineering tools on the pc that are not available on the mac.
The "this vs. that" discussion was sort of inevitable in this thread, and I am sorry for stirring the pot. There are many topics that I have slowly learned to avoid discussing (politics, religion, philosophy, etc.) however OS choice is one I love to get into. Again, I am sorry.

For science and engineering tools, you should look at what is available for Linux. You might be surprised.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:36 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Usually the case here too, but i just installed XP (in Boot Camp) on my Dual Xeon MacPro (with Apple 22" display) to run Woofer Tester 2 (the real woofer tester, not PE's poor cousin). Quite an incongruous picture.

dave
Why not Parallels?
Old 15th February 2013, 12:53 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Why would anyone pay $80 for that when VirtualBox is just as good (arguably better) and free?
I didn't say it was better, in fact I didn't compare at all. I simply stated it was one of the options to run Windows 'stuff' on a Mac.
Old 15th February 2013, 01:15 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Why not Parallels?
Maybe later.I didn't want anything between the OS and the USB... a weak point in all the VMs The compter was already dedicated to doing T/S

dave
Old 15th February 2013, 01:52 AM   #25
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Quite simply; I hate Windows.

The "this vs. that" discussion was sort of inevitable in this thread, and I am sorry for stirring the pot. There are many topics that I have slowly learned to avoid discussing (politics, religion, philosophy, etc.) however OS choice is one I love to get into. Again, I am sorry.

For science and engineering tools, you should look at what is available for Linux. You might be surprised.
Oh, I know Linux has science apps, I did Linux starting way back with Slackware v1 and have built and programmed parallel computational clusters with Linux and Windows. Android is just highly polished Linux and i am using an android tablet to write this. I just have such a large vested interest in software packages that it is tough to break the chain with Windows. To be fair, the latest version of Windows 7 x64 professional as deployed in the enterprise works very smoothly and I have not had a single blue screen or lock up since I got my new machine in September (quite a feat for Windows). I was looking for a good virtual windows machine on Android and have not yet found it.
Old 15th February 2013, 02:27 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
To be fair, the latest version of Windows 7 x64 professional as deployed in the enterprise works very smoothly and I have not had a single blue screen or lock up since I got my new machine in September (quite a feat for Windows).
I've been using Win7 64 for a while now, and have had more hardware issues than anything else.

jeff
Old 15th February 2013, 02:44 AM   #27
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

yeah, what's with the MS hate? It is a great system if you purchase decent hardware. Apple basically forces you to buy in to a top tier product. Go spend that 2k on a PC and it will not fail you! Everyone seems to buy those 300-600 dollar POS pc's.. and 100 of that goes to ms, so you're spending pennies on the hardware.
For the record, I run linux for my primary workstation w/ a win7vm w/ virtualbox Works perfectly, out of the box. No special config, no troubles.

I use windows 7 and 8 on various other boxes in my house, as well as an exchange server, all work perfectly, never any trouble. I've also got various macs. (I run anIT company, gotta use 'em all) I honestly experience more problems w/ old macs than I do old pc's. and really.. the MS hating is SOOOO 10 years ago.... get over it, people.

Last edited by wicked1; 15th February 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 15th February 2013, 05:37 AM   #28
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have used XP bootcamp for Woofer Tester 3 (Dayton), Omnimic and Room Analyzer II
Would they work in Virtual box? As we have both and app running and it also need to access some hardware throgh the USB port...

I worked part time IT support, my G4/400 upgraded to 1.2 GHz was running Seti and F@H 24/7 for 10 years is still working old Dell Pentium III also refused to give up, harddisk broke regardless of OS.
Old 15th February 2013, 06:33 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
Would they work in Virtual box? As we have both and app running and it also need to access some hardware throgh the USB port...
According to Smith & Larson, until me, all the Mac Guys were running their stuff thu Parallels or VM Ware.

dave
Old 15th February 2013, 07:50 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Previously I had Vista running in bootcamp, AND Parallels could have access to the partition as well. So I could both boot as a pure PC, or use the virtual machine concept.

Unfortunately one day Vista (that horrendous piece of sh*t) completely froze during an update and I never bothered re-installing it.

I have now winisd and a few calculation spreadsheets on my work laptop, a PC.

Last edited by talaerts; 15th February 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!