Nearfield PC Speakers, which driver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Default Nearfield PC Speakers, which driver?

Though I have made a few DIY speakers I'm still a beginner. I can do the mathematics and figure things out, but when it comes to woodworking I'm in the very basics.

I am in the process of building a pair of uFonken (micro-Fonken) which are basically designed for Fostex FF85WK. The problem I have is that I want to finish these speakers ASAP, and the FF's won't be available in the USA until mid to late March. Doing some research I found Tang Band W3-1364SA to have very similar specs to Fostex FF85WK, and price is basically the same.

Do you guys think I can do the uFonken cabinets and use the Tang Band, or should I modify the box? Do you recommend another FR driver that can be used in this box? I like the uFonken enclosure looks, size, and simplicity.
Old 12th February 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's Planet10's design. Might wanna ask him. Not sure what can be subbed into that enclosure. May wanna grab some $9.99 buy out tang bands from parts express to hold you over until the FF85 comes back. Why are you in a rush?
Old 12th February 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure about the feasability of subbing out the FF85wk. I'd recommend the FF85wk's are definately worth the wait for mounting in the uFonken cabinet.

I have a pair in the same cabinets now, breaking in before I finish the cabinets and am blown away by what they do as far as imaging and balance over their relavent frequency range. Unlike other Fostex's, to me they don't seem to really need the break in time.

Mario
Old 12th February 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
PKNJ is offline PKNJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Let's see, you're in a rush, and are unsure of your woodworking skills?

Take a look at the "Foam Core Board Spearker Enclosure" thread over in the Fullrange forum. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but if you don't like them, you can throw them away without feeling bad.

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Old 12th February 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
I'm not sure about the feasability of subbing out the FF85wk. I'd recommend the FF85wk's are definately worth the wait for mounting in the uFonken cabinet.

I have a pair in the same cabinets now, breaking in before I finish the cabinets and am blown away by what they do as far as imaging and balance over their relavent frequency range. Unlike other Fostex's, to me they don't seem to really need the break in time.

Mario

I've been spending more time listening to at my home desk-top machine rig lately than the main system upstairs (working on a project of scanning 40+yrs of family photos - a very laborious process). Near-field in this case means both are within arms' reach, and I can certainly attest the the 85WK are worth the wait.
Topping TP30 ain't no 6CA7 SE, but is certainly compact, efficient and a decent enough USB input to handily outperform the iMac's audio line out.

polka dots don't hurt either
Old 12th February 2013, 06:43 PM   #6
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKNJ View Post
Let's see, you're in a rush, and are unsure of your woodworking skills?

Take a look at the "Foam Core Board Spearker Enclosure" thread over in the Fullrange forum. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but if you don't like them, you can throw them away without feeling bad.

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

A micro-Onken in foam core was going to be one of my next builds. The trusty Vifa TC9FD was going to be the driver - it might not be a FF85WK but for $12, and some foam, you will get lots of enjoyment. I have a design sketched out if anyone is interested...
Old 12th February 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I have a design sketched out if anyone is interested...
I would. I have 4 of these Vifa now.... might be interesting.

dave
Old 12th February 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
and the FF's won't be available in the USA until mid to late March.
Sorry, probably my fault.

As suggested, something temporary till FF85 are available would be my suggestion. We had used Fountek FR88ex temporarily in some uFonken (only a reasonable sub if you can find some cheap).

dave
Old 12th February 2013, 10:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

As an alternative, you could just as easily buy a pair of Fostex FF105WK drivers and put them in the larger mFonken box. Its probably a better all around driver anyway without any helper woofer support as long as you don't mind the larger cabinet.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:49 PM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I would. I have 4 of these Vifa now.... might be interesting.

dave
Granted, the Vifa's are not in any way ideal for an Onken alignment, but hey, I have tried them in a lot of off-alignment enclosures and they are entertaining nonetheless. Most notable was how good they sound in the Fh3 inspired design.
The micro Onken design I have is well suited for near field desktop use as it is fairly compact. the dimensions are 5 in wide x 8 in deep x 10 in tall box (6.5 liters) with qnty 6 vents that are 0.1875 in wide x 1.5 in tall x 5.6 in long. The 3/16 in (0.1875 in) vent width is chosen for thickness of foam core. Note that this produces a box with a vent cross sectional area of only about 33% of the driver Sd vs typical 90% Sd used in Onken design. Had to do that to get a reasonable length for the ports. The calculated f3 is 55 Hz - as good as what I get with a 30 in long MLTL using this driver. What do you think? Worth trying?

Hide this!Advertise here!