Nearfield PC Speakers, which driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Though I have made a few DIY speakers I'm still a beginner. I can do the mathematics and figure things out, but when it comes to woodworking I'm in the very basics.

I am in the process of building a pair of uFonken (micro-Fonken) which are basically designed for Fostex FF85WK. The problem I have is that I want to finish these speakers ASAP, and the FF's won't be available in the USA until mid to late March. Doing some research I found Tang Band W3-1364SA to have very similar specs to Fostex FF85WK, and price is basically the same.

Do you guys think I can do the uFonken cabinets and use the Tang Band, or should I modify the box? Do you recommend another FR driver that can be used in this box? I like the uFonken enclosure looks, size, and simplicity.

I'm not sure about the feasability of subbing out the FF85wk. I'd recommend the FF85wk's are definately worth the wait for mounting in the uFonken cabinet.

I have a pair in the same cabinets now, breaking in before I finish the cabinets and am blown away by what they do as far as imaging and balance over their relavent frequency range. Unlike other Fostex's, to me they don't seem to really need the break in time.

Mario

I'm not sure about the feasability of subbing out the FF85wk. I'd recommend the FF85wk's are definately worth the wait for mounting in the uFonken cabinet.

I have a pair in the same cabinets now, breaking in before I finish the cabinets and am blown away by what they do as far as imaging and balance over their relavent frequency range. Unlike other Fostex's, to me they don't seem to really need the break in time.

Mario

I've been spending more time listening to at my home desk-top machine rig lately than the main system upstairs (working on a project of scanning 40+yrs of family photos - a very laborious process). Near-field in this case means both are within arms' reach, and I can certainly attest the the 85WK are worth the wait.
Topping TP30 ain't no 6CA7 SE, but is certainly compact, efficient and a decent enough USB input to handily outperform the iMac's audio line out.

polka dots don't hurt either

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Let's see, you're in a rush, and are unsure of your woodworking skills?

Take a look at the "Foam Core Board Spearker Enclosure" thread over in the Fullrange forum. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but if you don't like them, you can throw them away without feeling bad.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures.html

A micro-Onken in foam core was going to be one of my next builds. The trusty Vifa TC9FD was going to be the driver - it might not be a FF85WK but for $12, and some foam, you will get lots of enjoyment. I have a design sketched out if anyone is interested... :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I would. I have 4 of these Vifa now.... might be interesting.

dave

Granted, the Vifa's are not in any way ideal for an Onken alignment, but hey, I have tried them in a lot of off-alignment enclosures and they are entertaining nonetheless. Most notable was how good they sound in the Fh3 inspired design.
The micro Onken design I have is well suited for near field desktop use as it is fairly compact. the dimensions are 5 in wide x 8 in deep x 10 in tall box (6.5 liters) with qnty 6 vents that are 0.1875 in wide x 1.5 in tall x 5.6 in long. The 3/16 in (0.1875 in) vent width is chosen for thickness of foam core. Note that this produces a box with a vent cross sectional area of only about 33% of the driver Sd vs typical 90% Sd used in Onken design. Had to do that to get a reasonable length for the ports. The calculated f3 is 55 Hz - as good as what I get with a 30 in long MLTL using this driver. What do you think? Worth trying?

Thanks for the suggestions. I was in a rush as I travel often and not much time for this fun projects. My luck is not the best, PE ran out of the TB W3-1364 and not available until Feb. 20, not much of a wait. I will purchase them and when the FF85 becomes available I will purchase a pair also. It will be fun to compare.

Though tempted to do a foam core working model, I can make the cabinets of wood. I didn't say I couldn't do them just that I am a beginner. I have all the tools needed.

Planet10, thanks for those designs. I like the mFonken because their size is ideal for most cluttered desks. I spend a lot of time in my desk and PC, so this a very welcomed design. I will use with them my trusty 1998 Audio Source SA-50 8" 50w subwoofer, and be powered by a Dayton DTA-1. The speakers will substitute a pair of Realistic Minimus-18 4" FR speakers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was in a rush as I travel often and not much time for this fun projects. My luck is not the best, PE ran out of the TB W3-1364 and not available until Feb. 20, not much of a wait. I will purchase them and when the FF85 becomes available I will purchase a pair also. It will be fun to compare.

Though tempted to do a foam core working model, I can make the cabinets of wood. I didn't say I couldn't do them just that I am a beginner. I have all the tools needed.

Planet10, thanks for those designs. I like the mFonken because their size is ideal for most cluttered desks. I spend a lot of time in my desk and PC, so this a very welcomed design. I will use with them my trusty 1998 Audio Source SA-50 8" 50w subwoofer, and be powered by a Dayton DTA-1. The speakers will substitute a pair of Realistic Minimus-18 4" FR speakers.

I think you mean uFonken. The mFonken is a small box that works with the 4"-4.75" drivers and the ufonken is a really small box that works with 3" drivers. Both are very nice for computer speakers though.

I have the same'ish out of stock (FF85WK) issue. Living in New Zealand $freight is a major issue, so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc. Dave, I have your uFonkenSET plans, and was wondering if anyone could suggest another FR to substitute? Or should I just not tell my significant other:eek:, & pay for 2 lots of freight when the 85's become available.

I have the same'ish out of stock (FF85WK) issue. Living in New Zealand $freight is a major issue, so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc. Dave, I have your uFonkenSET plans, and was wondering if anyone could suggest another FR to substitute? Or should I just not tell my significant other:eek:, & pay for 2 lots of freight when the 85's become available.

We've listened to a lot of affordable candidates, but have yet to hear one that delivers all the performance of the 85WK. There have been a few very nice TB models, but they've often had short life spans - by the time they've gathered some traction with DIYers or small bespoke manufacturers, they're not longer available.
Sure you could possibly find a driver that fits in the box design, and modify port tuning as required, but ... see my opening sentence. :)

Same situation here, freight charges, though PR is domestic USA for USPS purposes. PE is very good at this. That is how this thread started, not only because of availability, but TB W3-1364SA basically has the same factory measured specs as the Fostex FF85WK, difference is very slight. Price is also the same, only a few cents difference.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Same situation here, freight charges, though PR is domestic USA for USPS purposes. PE is very good at this. That is how this thread started, not only because of availability, but TB W3-1364SA basically has the same factory measured specs as the Fostex FF85WK, difference is very slight. Price is also the same, only a few cents difference.

I'm not sure if the TB mentioned is one I've heard, but I 'll go out on a limb anyway and suggest that having "basically the same factory measured specs ... difference is very slight", might not tell the whole story of how either will actually sound in a real system.

Thanks All.
I'll wait for the 85's, and cheers for the terminal (wouldn't have thought of the double).

Those are actually our second choice - after busting off more than one pair over the years, I've become quite enamored of the small recessed cups (2" through hole), They also use 5-way binding posts with plastic nuts, but due to the tight spacing are really most suited to banana plugs - and make for a convenient hand-hold
We also quite like the cheap Pomona duals - great for quick swapping, easy to identify polarity, and won't short out themselves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.