Nearfield PC Speakers, which driver? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2013, 05:15 PM   #51
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Can the uFonken be made with 1/4" wood? The walls will be dampened with rubberized undercoating, also with 1/2" wool felt, as to keep resonance to the very minimum.

the thinnest we've ever used is 1/2" ply or solid - if well braced (I'd avoid the undercoating) 1/4" could be OK - there are tons of commercial enclosures in molded plastic composites that are thinner than that, and seem to work just fine

the only downside I could see is there isn't much core for the driver mounting screws
Old 15th February 2013, 05:49 PM   #52
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
the thinnest we've ever used is 1/2" ply or solid - if well braced (I'd avoid the undercoating) 1/4" could be OK - there are tons of commercial enclosures in molded plastic composites that are thinner than that, and seem to work just fine

the only downside I could see is there isn't much core for the driver mounting screws
Bolts with nuts. They can be glued with epoxy to the wood, there are ways to get around that.
Old 15th February 2013, 06:02 PM   #53
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Can the uFonken be made with 1/4" wood? The walls will be dampened with rubberized undercoating
You can try it... 1/4" likely isn't thick enuff, the rubber stuff will make things worse.

dave
Old 15th February 2013, 06:10 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You can try it... 1/4" likely isn't thick enuff, the rubber stuff will make things worse.

dave
You saved me of using undercoating...I bought it because I needed it for something else in the house, and noticed that the label said "deadens sound". Made sense to me to use it to line a speaker cabinet.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:05 PM   #55
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Bolts with nuts. They can be glued with epoxy to the wood, there are ways to get around that.

I've seen epoxy both shear off from the wood, and contaminate the threads of machine screws - either make for "very interesting times"

Unless using dense plastic or aluminum plate, both of which can be tapped for machine threads, I'd be far more inclined to use 1/2" material for the driver panel at least.
Old 15th February 2013, 08:07 PM   #56
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Glue a thicker block of wood where screws go, I do this all the time to mount drivers to foam core speakers. Use bracing to avoid large spans of thinner wood - that is only other thing to watch for when using thin materials.
Old 15th February 2013, 09:48 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Glue a thicker block of wood where screws go, I do this all the time to mount drivers to foam core speakers. Use bracing to avoid large spans of thinner wood - that is only other thing to watch for when using thin materials.
That was one of my plans, using wood blocks or FRP blocks. The bracing of the uFonken is plenty for 1/4" wood. Remember these speakers are small, so loads are not much of a concern.

Last edited by guangui; 15th February 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:55 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can the uFonken be made with 1/4" wood? The walls will be dampened with rubberized undercoating, also with 1/2" wool felt, as to keep resonance to the very minimum.
From the posts that follow it sounds () like you have an amount of 1/4", so if you REEAALLLY want to use it, why don't you double it up. ie; 2 sandwiched together with PVA glue ending up with 1/2".
Although, personally I'd still go with the experts use of 1 piece 1/2" thick.
But then if you sandwiched 3 pieces together..........
Old 15th February 2013, 11:05 PM   #59
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The bracing of the uFonken is plenty for 1/4" wood.
Probably not. It is just sufficient for quality 12mm ply. More would be nice on some of our 12mm solid builds.

As suggested, double it up.

dave
Old 15th February 2013, 11:31 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridtech View Post
From the posts that follow it sounds () like you have an amount of 1/4", so if you REEAALLLY want to use it, why don't you double it up. ie; 2 sandwiched together with PVA glue ending up with 1/2".
Although, personally I'd still go with the experts use of 1 piece 1/2" thick.
But then if you sandwiched 3 pieces together..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Probably not. It is just sufficient for quality 12mm ply. More would be nice on some of our 12mm solid builds.

As suggested, double it up.

dave
Yes, I have some 1/4" panels that were left from a house renovation project. I can double up, but will try not doubling up first. I am also building a pair in 12 mm Baboon Plywood, as I have two 12 mm x 2' x 4' panels. I am also finishing a mock-up (but functional) pair in 3/16" Foam Core panels that I had. Just did a math of the loads involved in using 1/4", and the spans are not that long or wide as to justify doubling up, there are no loads, except for the front baffle. Anyways, I will play with different thickness' and see what works and what doesn't. I can tell you a lot about metals and exotic metal alloys, but not much about wood.

Hide this!Advertise here!