Nearfield PC Speakers, which driver? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 04:13 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Note that Xmax is only 0.5 mm. It is not able to move much air...
I know nothing about this, but noted the FF85WK is "only" 0.35mm and similar sizes in Dayton 4's & 5's.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:17 PM   #42
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have these same speakers here as a PC speakers, and for my needs, it is very good.

Bookshelf build with TB W3-881SI, nice

gychang
Old 14th February 2013, 05:39 PM   #43
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Interesting, why?
After trying just about every variation of "standard" binding posts (but not Speakons or other special types) over the past dozen or so years, we've settled on these for a variety of reasons.

We like to use banana plugs, specifically the Pomona style molded duals, which have 3/4" spacing - something you'll find on many (but not all) of the larger sized recessed cups and bi-amp terminals. The little cups we've found that are very affordable happen to use about as small a through hole (2") that will still accommodate this spacing for 5-way binding posts - and even then they are a pain in the a$$ if you want to use large gauge cabling and Cardas grade spades.

But this is another of those areas that can devolve into useless debate - use whatever type of terminals you like, provided you can access the internal wiring easily. The cups or simple surface mounted dual posts allow for that.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:39 PM   #44
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I have these same speakers here as a PC speakers, and for my needs, it is very good.

Bookshelf build with TB W3-881SI, nice

gychang
And dirty cheap!
Old 14th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
...But this is another of those areas that can devolve into useless debate...
Yep, that happens a lot... Personally, I find those Mirage connectors really big, but the price and finishes might be a draw for some people. I like to keep it simple (KISS).
Old 14th February 2013, 06:01 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No they can't. I'd venture to guess they have about 2mm of travel but I have made them "click" even with a 300hz 4th order high pass. But the SPL was quite high. Depends on the use. If listening at very low SPL on a desk they'd be fine full range. I had them in a little ported box and at moderate SPL they were farting with any kick drum or bass guitar.

But as said, not sure the FF85 can move any more air than them. I don't doubt the FF85 is more "refined" though.
Old 14th February 2013, 06:35 PM   #47
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
... the Onken design guideline...
The miniOnkens (as Scott said) are not "officially" Onkens. They only borrow the self bracing side-wall/vent scheme, and the high aspect ratio vents.

dave
Old 14th February 2013, 06:39 PM   #48
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Interesting, why?
1/ i like the hole cut-out for the cup as small as possible (needed given the criteria that the posts not stick out)
2/ they are ugly
3/ the posts are not very good (at least the ones i have recycled). Often a cheaper builf post will perform better because it has less metal. (consider the Radio Shack male RCAs. The best they sell are the cheapest.
4/ they have non-standard spacing.

dave
Old 14th February 2013, 07:04 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
1/ i like the hole cut-out for the cup as small as possible (needed given the criteria that the posts not stick out)
2/ they are ugly
3/ the posts are not very good (at least the ones i have recycled). Often a cheaper builf post will perform better because it has less metal. (consider the Radio Shack male RCAs. The best they sell are the cheapest.
4/ they have non-standard spacing.

dave
Ohhhh...probably why they got rid of them and sold their inventory at rotten fish price to PE.

Your point #2 is highly subjective, others may differ. IMO, just average looking, sort of an industrial look.
Old 15th February 2013, 02:13 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Can the uFonken be made with 1/4" wood? The walls will be dampened with rubberized undercoating, also with 1/2" wool felt, as to keep resonance to the very minimum.

Hide this!Advertise here!