Nearfield PC Speakers, which driver? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 02:12 AM   #11
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I was in a rush as I travel often and not much time for this fun projects. My luck is not the best, PE ran out of the TB W3-1364 and not available until Feb. 20, not much of a wait. I will purchase them and when the FF85 becomes available I will purchase a pair also. It will be fun to compare.

Though tempted to do a foam core working model, I can make the cabinets of wood. I didn't say I couldn't do them just that I am a beginner. I have all the tools needed.

Planet10, thanks for those designs. I like the mFonken because their size is ideal for most cluttered desks. I spend a lot of time in my desk and PC, so this a very welcomed design. I will use with them my trusty 1998 Audio Source SA-50 8" 50w subwoofer, and be powered by a Dayton DTA-1. The speakers will substitute a pair of Realistic Minimus-18 4" FR speakers.
Old 13th February 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I was in a rush as I travel often and not much time for this fun projects. My luck is not the best, PE ran out of the TB W3-1364 and not available until Feb. 20, not much of a wait. I will purchase them and when the FF85 becomes available I will purchase a pair also. It will be fun to compare.

Though tempted to do a foam core working model, I can make the cabinets of wood. I didn't say I couldn't do them just that I am a beginner. I have all the tools needed.

Planet10, thanks for those designs. I like the mFonken because their size is ideal for most cluttered desks. I spend a lot of time in my desk and PC, so this a very welcomed design. I will use with them my trusty 1998 Audio Source SA-50 8" 50w subwoofer, and be powered by a Dayton DTA-1. The speakers will substitute a pair of Realistic Minimus-18 4" FR speakers.
I think you mean uFonken. The mFonken is a small box that works with the 4"-4.75" drivers and the ufonken is a really small box that works with 3" drivers. Both are very nice for computer speakers though.
Old 13th February 2013, 03:48 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
I think you mean uFonken. The mFonken is a small box that works with the 4"-4.75" drivers and the ufonken is a really small box that works with 3" drivers. Both are very nice for computer speakers though.
Correct...uFonken
Old 13th February 2013, 05:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have the same'ish out of stock (FF85WK) issue. Living in New Zealand $freight is a major issue, so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc. Dave, I have your uFonkenSET plans, and was wondering if anyone could suggest another FR to substitute? Or should I just not tell my significant other, & pay for 2 lots of freight when the 85's become available.
Old 13th February 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridtech View Post
I have the same'ish out of stock (FF85WK) issue. Living in New Zealand $freight is a major issue, so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc. Dave, I have your uFonkenSET plans, and was wondering if anyone could suggest another FR to substitute? Or should I just not tell my significant other, & pay for 2 lots of freight when the 85's become available.
We've listened to a lot of affordable candidates, but have yet to hear one that delivers all the performance of the 85WK. There have been a few very nice TB models, but they've often had short life spans - by the time they've gathered some traction with DIYers or small bespoke manufacturers, they're not longer available.
Sure you could possibly find a driver that fits in the box design, and modify port tuning as required, but ... see my opening sentence.
Old 13th February 2013, 06:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Same situation here, freight charges, though PR is domestic USA for USPS purposes. PE is very good at this. That is how this thread started, not only because of availability, but TB W3-1364SA basically has the same factory measured specs as the Fostex FF85WK, difference is very slight. Price is also the same, only a few cents difference.
Old 13th February 2013, 06:12 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc
What else do you need? PE has only 1 set of binding posts i'd use and they are not Dayton branded. Madisound has none i like.

Gold Plated Banana 5-Way Speaker Terminal 260-302

dave
Old 13th February 2013, 06:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Same situation here, freight charges, though PR is domestic USA for USPS purposes. PE is very good at this. That is how this thread started, not only because of availability, but TB W3-1364SA basically has the same factory measured specs as the Fostex FF85WK, difference is very slight. Price is also the same, only a few cents difference.
I'm not sure if the TB mentioned is one I've heard, but I 'll go out on a limb anyway and suggest that having "basically the same factory measured specs ... difference is very slight", might not tell the whole story of how either will actually sound in a real system.
Old 13th February 2013, 07:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks All.
I'll wait for the 85's, and cheers for the terminal (wouldn't have thought of the double).
Old 13th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks All.
I'll wait for the 85's, and cheers for the terminal (wouldn't have thought of the double).

Those are actually our second choice - after busting off more than one pair over the years, I've become quite enamored of the small recessed cups (2" through hole), They also use 5-way binding posts with plastic nuts, but due to the tight spacing are really most suited to banana plugs - and make for a convenient hand-hold
We also quite like the cheap Pomona duals - great for quick swapping, easy to identify polarity, and won't short out themselves.

Hide this!Advertise here!