Nearfield PC Speakers, which driver? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 02:12 AM   #11
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I was in a rush as I travel often and not much time for this fun projects. My luck is not the best, PE ran out of the TB W3-1364 and not available until Feb. 20, not much of a wait. I will purchase them and when the FF85 becomes available I will purchase a pair also. It will be fun to compare.

Though tempted to do a foam core working model, I can make the cabinets of wood. I didn't say I couldn't do them just that I am a beginner. I have all the tools needed.

Planet10, thanks for those designs. I like the mFonken because their size is ideal for most cluttered desks. I spend a lot of time in my desk and PC, so this a very welcomed design. I will use with them my trusty 1998 Audio Source SA-50 8" 50w subwoofer, and be powered by a Dayton DTA-1. The speakers will substitute a pair of Realistic Minimus-18 4" FR speakers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I was in a rush as I travel often and not much time for this fun projects. My luck is not the best, PE ran out of the TB W3-1364 and not available until Feb. 20, not much of a wait. I will purchase them and when the FF85 becomes available I will purchase a pair also. It will be fun to compare.

Though tempted to do a foam core working model, I can make the cabinets of wood. I didn't say I couldn't do them just that I am a beginner. I have all the tools needed.

Planet10, thanks for those designs. I like the mFonken because their size is ideal for most cluttered desks. I spend a lot of time in my desk and PC, so this a very welcomed design. I will use with them my trusty 1998 Audio Source SA-50 8" 50w subwoofer, and be powered by a Dayton DTA-1. The speakers will substitute a pair of Realistic Minimus-18 4" FR speakers.
I think you mean uFonken. The mFonken is a small box that works with the 4"-4.75" drivers and the ufonken is a really small box that works with 3" drivers. Both are very nice for computer speakers though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 03:48 PM   #13
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
I think you mean uFonken. The mFonken is a small box that works with the 4"-4.75" drivers and the ufonken is a really small box that works with 3" drivers. Both are very nice for computer speakers though.
Correct...uFonken
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 05:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
I have the same'ish out of stock (FF85WK) issue. Living in New Zealand $freight is a major issue, so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc. Dave, I have your uFonkenSET plans, and was wondering if anyone could suggest another FR to substitute? Or should I just not tell my significant other, & pay for 2 lots of freight when the 85's become available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridtech View Post
I have the same'ish out of stock (FF85WK) issue. Living in New Zealand $freight is a major issue, so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc. Dave, I have your uFonkenSET plans, and was wondering if anyone could suggest another FR to substitute? Or should I just not tell my significant other, & pay for 2 lots of freight when the 85's become available.
We've listened to a lot of affordable candidates, but have yet to hear one that delivers all the performance of the 85WK. There have been a few very nice TB models, but they've often had short life spans - by the time they've gathered some traction with DIYers or small bespoke manufacturers, they're not longer available.
Sure you could possibly find a driver that fits in the box design, and modify port tuning as required, but ... see my opening sentence.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 06:03 PM   #16
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridtech View Post
I have the same'ish out of stock (FF85WK) issue. Living in New Zealand $freight is a major issue, so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc. Dave, I have your uFonkenSET plans, and was wondering if anyone could suggest another FR to substitute? Or should I just not tell my significant other, & pay for 2 lots of freight when the 85's become available.
Same situation here, freight charges, though PR is domestic USA for USPS purposes. PE is very good at this. That is how this thread started, not only because of availability, but TB W3-1364SA basically has the same factory measured specs as the Fostex FF85WK, difference is very slight. Price is also the same, only a few cents difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 06:12 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridtech View Post
so I'm trying to buy all of the bits from PE. But they don't do Fostex. I do like the "look" of Dayton Audio parts like binding posts/speakers etc
What else do you need? PE has only 1 set of binding posts i'd use and they are not Dayton branded. Madisound has none i like.

Gold Plated Banana 5-Way Speaker Terminal 260-302

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 06:39 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
Same situation here, freight charges, though PR is domestic USA for USPS purposes. PE is very good at this. That is how this thread started, not only because of availability, but TB W3-1364SA basically has the same factory measured specs as the Fostex FF85WK, difference is very slight. Price is also the same, only a few cents difference.
I'm not sure if the TB mentioned is one I've heard, but I 'll go out on a limb anyway and suggest that having "basically the same factory measured specs ... difference is very slight", might not tell the whole story of how either will actually sound in a real system.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 07:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks All.
I'll wait for the 85's, and cheers for the terminal (wouldn't have thought of the double).
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridtech View Post
Thanks All.
I'll wait for the 85's, and cheers for the terminal (wouldn't have thought of the double).

Those are actually our second choice - after busting off more than one pair over the years, I've become quite enamored of the small recessed cups (2" through hole), They also use 5-way binding posts with plastic nuts, but due to the tight spacing are really most suited to banana plugs - and make for a convenient hand-hold
We also quite like the cheap Pomona duals - great for quick swapping, easy to identify polarity, and won't short out themselves.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Nearfield DIY speaker for PC listening thisisvv Multi-Way 73 25th September 2012 04:09 PM
Help ! Fullrange speakers for Nearfield listening jtjy Full Range 7 4th October 2010 10:18 PM
Suggestions for high efficiency nearfield speakers mrevie Multi-Way 8 29th August 2009 04:20 AM
best diy nearfield speakers for <300 shipped thadman Multi-Way 0 25th September 2006 10:28 PM
Need Help Getting Started - Nearfield Speakers alex douglass Multi-Way 20 4th October 2001 02:56 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2