diyAudio (
-   Full Range (
-   -   FE-85 final report (

tvrgeek 9th February 2013 05:19 PM

FE-85 final report
I was not happy with my first attempt to use the FE-85's as full-range desktops, so I got a bot more serious with them. In the narrow boxes, they just had too much problems with the distraction ripple and overall balance.

New baffle centering the driver. Yup, centered. This narrowed the Q of the first ripple so a notch could handle it easier. Went from 1/2 to 3/4 radius on the baffle. I found they were tuned too high, so correction of the port gave me 10 Hz back for an honest measured 90Hz F3. I gave it just a bit of a hump before rolloff for balance. BSC wound up as 356mH and 6.3 Ohms, followed by a parallel notch of 350m, 15u and 12 Ohms. It still has a tad of a peak at 1K, but this is enough for my desktops.

Oh yea, these were the drivers where I doped the dustcaps with artist glypt which killed several breakup modes.

A lot of work for $12 drivers, but the results are quite usable. So, I had a set of some unknown car 1/2 inch tweeters. What the heck, this is a cheapo-build. Just a series cap for 5K and they did add just a bit of high end detail. Not really needed for a desktop that does bings and bongs, with an occasional lecture, but I had them. "Super-tweeter" I guess as the 85's are full range. Free.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2015 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2