10" PA driver for FAST - possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK did some calculating and redesigning the enclosure.
Now I can use 12" PA woofer (WAF accepted), will post a sketch later.

I was playing in WinISD a little with different affordable PA drivers.
First is the Delta 12LF, second is the Beyma SM112/N I think, not sure on that one. the enclosure will bring in 113L, so I use 100L as a starting point.
Have a look at the frequency graphs first.

Second graph shows the cone excursion, which is with follow filters and EQ:
- lowpass at 130Hz all models
- EQ at certain frequencies see pic bellow
- some transform circuits to stretch down to 40Hz

Third pics shows impedance ..... which is skyrocketing :(

I wonder if I am doing it right....?

Any pointers? Which should I pursue? I like the Beyma SM-112 a lot.
thank you all

Danny

P.S.: all are at 30W input power, only the SM-112 vented is at 50W (which should be plenty for home use)

Attachments

• Frequency.JPG
    Frequency.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 266
  • EQ.JPG
    EQ.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 259
  • Impedance.JPG
    Impedance.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
yeah might do that
I tried to work the delta LF in a closed enclosure. With added 8ohm series resistance, i can get the excursion under control, but then i get a nasty peak at 70Hz. How do I compensate for this? I never did closed box, so have no idea what should the freq. plot look like. What is considered to play good in a room.

Thanks for suggestions

danny

Most people shoot for a q = 0.7 with sealed boxes. Your bump at 70hz is probably because the box is to small. If excursion is a problem, that's because in the ported box the port reduces excursion.

I'm not an experty with boxes, but if you're looking for 40hz and up, I'd port. But myself, I'd go sealed and add 4 or 8 subwoofers from 60hz and down. Depends what bass requirements you have.

Tux I know about the advantages and disadvantages of ported and closed.
Also I know the port reduces excursion.... that was ment to my experimentation with series resistance :)

anyway..... 4 or 8 subwoofers in an apartment.... and when I make that, can I live at your place? Because my wife will throw me out for sure :)))))))

To recap... I go probably with the Delta 12LF or with the SM-112/N in a 100L box. I have to pay some attention to actual frequency needed to sound good in a room about 18m2.... I don't want to end up with boom bass. Most likely I will build it, then test it sealed with EQ, and go from there.

Danny

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
the best Beyma woofer is Beyma Speakers - Beyma 12G40 speaker - Beyma 12G40 800 watt 12" woofer for all bass and mid-bass applications. Beyma 12G40 mid-bass and other Beyma 12" speakers here.

I choose the 12br70 Beyma Speakers - Beyma 12BR70 speaker - Beyma 12BR70 250 watt 12" woofer for all hi-fi and studio monitor bass speakers. Beyma 12BR70 and other Beyma 12" speakers here. because ive been told by users of both, that the 12br70 is better in the bass then the 12g40. I was skeptical, but the bass is great, yet not totally tuned and stops at 120hz for now, so cant comment really on the sound, but yeah...
BTW, I think that the eminence kappa pro is a excellent woofer and should be hifi, so you could add that to your list of contenders

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Well I done some reading, and WinISD does really not account for room gain and all this stuff.
So my plan is to buy for the start most likely the delta 12LF, stuff it in a box with same volume, and start playing with it, EQ, port lenght, close it up etc.... and see what will sound the best for me.

Appreciate all your help guys.....

Danny

It doesn't account for room gain, but there's hardly any room gain at 40hz (despite what people would like to believe). All the research I've seen points towards modes from 300hz down to 30hz and room gain from 30hz down for conventional sized rooms. And my own experience agrees with this, as well as seeing other people measure their rooms. You could have a giant suck out at 50hz. You never know what you're gonna get. I find the most problematic region to be 50 to 100hz. Wild swings are the norm.

I hope when in a box, I can tweak it with EQ, beeing PA drive might handle a lot of EQ, compared to hifi speakers. According to WinISD, with 30-40W I can get a lot of SPL, which is not necessary, and therefore might be OK for EQ the ... out of it :)
I don't listen at ear bleeding volumes, might work for me.

But..... never did active :) don't know what EQ to use... honestly I don't have any experience in equalizers, except one 8 band or whatever I had couple years ago to augment my OB with Hawthornes.... non existent anymore
I can't spend 300 on EQ... what would be the best option?

Anybody?

BTW: I highly appreciate all the help people are giving here.

i found a very good preamp in my price range with good adjustment capability, almost every Hz on its own can be adjusted. Its the Sony TA-E1000ESD preamp. I had it couple of years ago and I let it go !!!! Doh!!!!
That might work for the EQ part and perhaps get some custom made crossover with some setting capabilities.

Danny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.