Experience with the Jordan Eikona - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2013, 10:51 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

In my opinion the top end of the Eikona is the biggest improvement and is a delight to listen to. The other advantage of this driver is that it uses the Jordan cone, which is very fast and robust.

In terms of the cut-out, Ted said it was to accommodate the larger surround and the shape is better suited to array configuration. Ajustments to the 92 cutout involve a larger whole and flange and filling in the areas of the flange that are not utilised from the 92. The latter is the largest issue I found.

Kevin
Old 15th February 2013, 12:28 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Thats a big advantage of Jordan metal cones, they arent fragile, Bandors also. I just haven't got the readies to invest in a pair atm

Ted doesn't anodize his cones does he?
Old 21st February 2013, 10:13 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yes, there is a thick layer of anodising on the rear. I think the front may be laquered but not sure.
Old 15th March 2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

An update for those waiting to hear more about the Eikona: I called Jordan this afternoon and they have been overloaded with the number of enquiries for the new driver. I think they're working their way through as quickly as they can. Meanwhile the production runs are still quite short so the units are being sold on a first come, first served basis.

Not a bad position to be in with a recession on but frustrating for those waiting for drive units.

There is some new info on the website, just to keep folk updated.
Old 16th March 2013, 01:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thanks v much Colin for this info.
Old 18th March 2013, 03:29 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I visited Ted at his home in Wales last weekend so was able to talk at length about the Eikona, demo my new design as well as hear his JX6 wall mounted arrays. To confirm - yes it has a thick layer of anodising both sides.

I have now done extensive listening tests compared to JX92s and can confirm:

1. There is not the problematic gentle rise from 1K upwards so giving a more balanced midrange
2. Much less sibilence in 8K region
3. Cleaner sounding overall
4. Louder and deeper bass capability and there seems to be lower bass/treble interference - just discernable with 92 with a very heavy bass line

Kevin
Old 18th March 2013, 05:05 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

That 8-9 kHz rise, did Ted decide to use a different roll surround for production models?

Last edited by Bill poster; 18th March 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 19th March 2013, 09:36 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Aparently he has solved this (for the most part) by using an energy absorbing material applied to the cone, near to the centre. It is a bit odd as it does not show up on waterfall response and is not that readily audible off axis.
Old 19th March 2013, 10:34 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Warne View Post
Aparently he has solved this (for the most part) by using an energy absorbing material applied to the cone, near to the centre. It is a bit odd as it does not show up on waterfall response and is not that readily audible off axis.
zig-zag forever sticky glue perhaps?
Old 19th March 2013, 05:10 PM   #30
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouiky View Post
My one issue with the previous version was the top end breakup and metallic sound in that region.
Of my two pairs, one was from a DIYA group buy and the other purchased earlier. Someone suggested the latter was Vifa production. It sounds much better up top. For reference my upstairs listeners sport 24" Apogee ribbons and, aimed properly to cross in front of the listener and ~20 degrees off-axis, I have no complaints about Jordan.

Hide this!Advertise here!