Best full range driver between 50-10.000Hz for a 3way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nice projects there Adason. I have used the small Dayton's too (5" full rangerers) to good effect in small BIBs that were designed for the Fostex 127e. The Dayton's offer more punch and bass than the Fostex but a less refined sound. Sometimes who gives a crap about refined tho... a lifelike reproduction can trump microdynamics depending on how you listen or your mood. I used to shy away from pro drivers but don't anymore.

I heard the Audax driver (the original one) in an open baffle setup with ported VOT woofers beneath them and an old Klipsch tweeter. The sound was effortless and dynamic.

The Aplair A12P could also be a choice even though I would rather cut the sub under 100Hz.
How does an A12P crossed at 100Hz would compare to an FF225WK + tweeter with a 6db/octave XO @~5-8K?
The Alpair is a 6" driver right?

I only listened to the FF225WK full range without extra tweeter. Very pleasant but a bit too dark on its own. I have not heard it with tweeter but it should be great.

The A12P is quite simply one of the very best fullrange speakers I have ever heard. It is one of those few "why pay more" products. It does not need a tweeter. What is remarkable is that it even sounds dynamic at low volume.
I would cross it a bit above 100hz.
Alternatively you can find a great looking standmount design for the A12P here on the forum (someone will be kind enough to post a link to the pictures and the dimensions). I think that the A12P descends to 90hz or so in that box. You could initially even try not to filter it at all, only match the sub.

Well, contrary to my own expectations, the FF225WK is not shouty when played unfiltered. It is pleasant and warm sounding. The B200 indeed has a reputation of being somewhat difficult to handle.

so the 225WK was just dark above 8K(?), as compared, say to the 165?

but, yeah, the A12P is pretty special - in a full sized Pensil, quite capable to well below 80Hz, and younger, keener ears than mine might want some help above 12-15K

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I only listened to the FF225WK full range without extra tweeter. Very pleasant but a bit too dark on its own. I have not heard it with tweeter but it should be great.

The A12P is quite simply one of the very best fullrange speakers I have ever heard. It is one of those few "why pay more" products. It does not need a tweeter. What is remarkable is that it even sounds dynamic at low volume.
I would cross it a bit above 100hz.
Alternatively you can find a great looking standmount design for the A12P here on the forum (someone will be kind enough to post a link to the pictures and the dimensions). I think that the A12P descends to 90hz or so in that box. You could initially even try not to filter it at all, only match the sub.
I have the A12p. it sound really really good. for your needs, it would fit.
however, the suggestion of a audax pr170mo (which I use) is miles better then the a12p, but you do need a supertweeter at 5k and a bass/midbass woofer up to 300hz...

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
In what way?

That's a tweeter.

jeff
Well, yeah, but you can use a good supertweeter that can go low.

well, its hard to compare especially since the audax is used from 300hz to 5khz.
The audax is more natural sounding. really organic. the weight of th instrument is better rendered, sparation of instrument is stunning. vocals are more natural. the tone is spot on, great tone. The naturalness of the sound is really addictive. Miles davis have never sounded so good really. The vocals are to die for, spinechilling. The presence of the music is just magical, the dynamics are shocking. It really feels as if the musician are right there. Yeah, the audax is the only driver I can honestly say that the musician feels just in the room. the slightest details are showed in a way that if someone cough and you didnt knew it, you would think its a real person. The audax is probably the best midrange I have ever heard. Its the only driver that I can compare to the mid of a tannoy red. The a12p tone is different. Its hard to talk about sound quality. The a12p sounds great, but side to side, the audax win easily. The highs of the 12p may be lacking a bit, I would use it with a supertweeter myself. The mid of the a12 is great though.
I am not bashing against the a12p, its a really good driver, the comparison is a bit unfair. The a12p is a driver I would have been happy with from 200hz with a woofer support.The audax is legendary and its aimed for midrange only, the a12p is a fullrange.

Last edited:
Guys, thank you very much for all the info.
I spent the last few hours searching the Internet, looking at driver specs, similar speaker designs and reading articles. At some point I stumbled on the Zu Audio speakers and right after that I saw the Tekton Designs speakers.
Both seemed to be very close to what I was looking for.
The Zu Audio probably uses proprietary 12" drivers and they are a bit too much for my taste.
The Tekton design speakers though not only use smaller drivers and get great reviews but they seem to use off the shelf drivers probably Eminence Pro 8" & 10" with home audio tweeters.
The fact that they get great reviews and their drivers are available at a reasonable cost make them very interesting.
The drivers they use seem to be the 10" Eminence Delta 10A (on the Pendragon and M-Lore), Eminence Legend B102 (Lore), some Seas 8" (Lore-S) and various tweeters (some of them said to be proprietary).
With so many great reviews on both the Tektons and the Eminence drivers themselves and at the same time such a reasonable price, the Eminence drivers look like a safe bet.
Has anyone tried one of the above?
I would love to hear your comments.
The driver I am mostly interested in is the Legend B102. I know it is not what I was looking for in the first place as it doesn't reach 8KHz but with a ring radiator tweeter with a low fs like the Vifa XT25BG60 I can still cross them with a first order XO at 2.5KHz.
Besides my main goal was to avoid complex passive crossovers and these drivers can probably make it possible.
If I go that route I will also be able to use a very low XO point on the sub probably under 60Hz which I believe is preferable.
Any thoughts?

Eminence Delta 10A

Vifa XT25BG60

Any thoughts?

I've used both of these drivers. The delta 10a in my kit here: Fusion-10 Pure - Fusion Series - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

And the XT25BG60 in a competition design here: Iron Driver Overall Best Sounding Speaker: Design Details

That woofer and that tweeter do NOT go together. Especially at 2.5khz with a soft cross over. The delta10a needs to be put to death above 1.5khz and the vifa (without any waveguide loading) needs to be stopped fairly quickly below 2khz.

I haven't read much of this thread, but I gotta ask, what are you trying to accomplish? If you want effortless 100db sound you should consider 80 to 600hz out of a 8 or 10" plus 3" full ranger. Or you should consider a 2 way horn speaker crossing over in the sacred 1 to 1.5khz region.

I am looking at the Eminence Legend B102 that goes up to 4.000Hz not the Delta A10.
The Delta A10 was mentioned as being possibly the driver used in the Tekton Pendragon speaker not the one I am interested in.

What I am trying to accomplish is already described in this thread.
I can't make an 8"or 10" + 3" crossed at 500-600Hz because:
1) I want to build 3 identical speakers for L/R/center so the 8"+3" vertical will be too big for a center channel
2) the crossover will have be either too expensive (larger capacitors & coils) or it will have to be active i.e. more amplifiers etc etc.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I am looking at the Eminence Legend B102 that goes up to 4.000Hz not the Delta A10.
The Delta A10 was mentioned as being possibly the driver used in the Tekton Pendragon speaker not the one I am interested in.

1) I want to build 3 identical speakers for L/R/center so the 8"+3" vertical will be too big for a center channel
2) the crossover will have be either too expensive (larger capacitors & coils) or it will have to be active i.e. more amplifiers etc etc.
and why do you want to use a eminence legend bass speaker? are you looking for hifi here?. I dont want to say anything against the eminenece, but I doubt this is hifi territory

Ya, I saw some vague ideas. For the center, you could turn it sideways if crossing down around 400hz, that shouldn't be an issue.

As for the more expensive cross over components, ya, no getting around that. But at the price of the drivers you're considering, you're now in the territory where that's not so bad.

I'm just trying to help :eek:

I'm just trying to help :eek:

And I really appreciate that.

My bigest problem is that I am trying to design an HT system with other people's ears.
I haven't heard any of the speakers mentioned and I have to rely on reviews from people I don't know that may have a completely different taste or needs.

Anyway, I already have a pair of 8" midbass drivers that I can try together with the CHP70s or the Tang Band W3-881SI that I also have.
We'll see.

Ya, I hear ya. That's what you get on a forum though. You either rely on others experience and evaluate all the various opinion and make a best guess. Or you start trying it for yourself.

If you have the W3-881SI, I have it to. I have it running with a the 8" Silver Flute W20RC-08 woofers crossed around 300hz. I can tell you the W3-881SI is really quite good except the treble can be a touch to hot (but some people like that). KyleInCowichan heard them last night if you want another opinion. I've wrecked one of the woofers though, so it wasn't performing in it's top condition. I think I over drove it while listening to some funk to loud. Or a movie. So it would click everyonce in a while.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.