Best full range driver between 50-10.000Hz for a 3way system - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 02:07 PM   #71
Account disabled at member's request

Ive build my 3-way with all good quality drivers (I tried to use the best bang for the buck), it costed me with the wood and everything, 1k.

You should not build a speaker around the eminence, open a thread in multiway and ask them what they think.

Last edited by murphythecat8; 6th February 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10th February 2013, 03:26 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

>>> Godzilla seems to like the Beta 12LTA. Personally, I don't. But who am I to point to a graph and say he's wrong.

Thank you Tux. You are a gentleman.

I thought I responded to this already about the 12lta but I guess I did not click the post button... I use this driver on an open baffle. I've built my main system around it. I own Fostex and TB and they are also excellent but there's something about the 12lta that allows me to forget about the system and listen to the music. It does not go deep enough in a sealed (or ported) 2.5cf cabinet. I've read it's been used with good results in 4 and 5cf cabinets but that's larger than I wanted in my home. I think it works well on open baffle and in a small sealed cabinet down to about 150Hz. You will need a subwoofer and a helper tweeter somewhere after 10kHz. But the driver pumps out 97db per watt and if you cut out the dustcap it will sound smoother than in stock form. It's a bit ragged but covers a large portion of the music without a crossover. There are measurements on the forum somewhere that coincided nicely to my listening impressions. I love the driver. It easily and effortlessly fills a room with sound. Tailor to taste with bass and treble support... and enjoy!

I would not shy away from Eminence drivers for the home. They may not be the most refined sounding drivers but they are efficient, well made and certainly pump out the volume. They are built differently than the more fragile drivers we typically discuss and they do sound different.

After spending years on trying to build a flat sounding system and realizing their are too many variables to overcome (my personal conclusion... your's may be different) I decided to try Eminence and for me it was a great choice.

Zilla

Hide this!Advertise here!