Best full range driver between 50-10.000Hz for a 3way system - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 04:50 PM   #61
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hamilton, was Ottawa (Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
...The Eminence pro drivers are well built and if they suit your design they will sound great. I love the beta 12lta and have built my main system around them. I have a bunch of TB and Fostex drivers (including the expensive TB 1808 and Fostex 168Z) and prefer the Eminence overall for my application, in my room. I think the sound is so different between these drivers that personal taste must come into play. The larger pro drivers will sound very different than the smaller drivers listed above...
Could you say a bit more about the sound of the 12LT vs small full-range. (I've been following your progress, but other might not)
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 05:05 PM   #62
diyAudio Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Is he using it in the Emken? That's how I heard the 12lta.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 05:16 PM   #63
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
For this particular B102, I doubt the reviews your reading. I don't look at reviews like that because I like accurate sound and most reviewers like unaccurate sound.
I am a professional photographer and I can understand where you are coming from. In our language this is called pixel peeping.
Even in my job (and hobby) I am not a pixel peeper. I am happy with less than accurate colors and grain in the pictures. But I don't do commercial photography I do weddings. Accuracy is not my 1st priority.
Same with music and movies. I just want to enjoy the content. If it's pleasing I am happy.
If I was a sound engineer I would like accuracy. But I am not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 02:04 AM   #64
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirosZ View Post
I am a professional photographer and I can understand where you are coming from. In our language this is called pixel peeping.
Even in my job (and hobby) I am not a pixel peeper. I am happy with less than accurate colors and grain in the pictures. But I don't do commercial photography I do weddings. Accuracy is not my 1st priority.
Same with music and movies. I just want to enjoy the content. If it's pleasing I am happy.
If I was a sound engineer I would like accuracy. But I am not.
seriously, You have said everything. You seem to know (without hearing the eminence) that you want the eminence. Go for it, but dont complain after that the sound is not refined enough. You dont want the best sound, good, because you will not acheive hifi result with a budget PA bass speaker.
We gave you recommendation and you dont think our opinion is more valuable then some unknown reviewers. You can find great review for Bose too!
Good Pa drivers are as good as any hifi driver, that not the issue here. the issue is that you decide of a bass driver, with not that great freq charts and then claim that you have the "feeling" that this speaker could sound good because you didnt find any negative review, gosh.

I strongly suggest that first of all, since you will be doing a 3-way, you open a thread in the multiway section.mention your idea about that bass driver. I am no pro, but I'm sure that some guy over there will be happy to inform you the best they can.

Last edited by murphythecat8; 6th February 2013 at 02:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 02:42 AM   #65
diyAudio Member
 
Kindhornman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, California
Murphy,
I have to agree with you that the Eminence is probably not the way to go. As far as I know I have never seen an Eminence speaker really used by any proaudio guys I know. This is something I would expect to see in a consumer audio type of so called proaudio products in a place like Guitar Center or the like. You are never going to see someone replace a JBL or EV or many other true proaudio drivers with an Eminence. Just not going to happen. It is nothing but a cheap imitation of a true high end pro driver. For what is being looked for here he would be much better off with either a real pro driver or a much better audiophile type speaker from someone else. Anyone using a loudspeaker that is being used for any type of guitar application for a musical reproduction system is looking in the wrong place. If it sounds good on an electric guitar it is not going to be a good choice for a playback system. Guitars require a large amount of cone cry, distortion, to make them sound like what we are use to, not something to use the way they are being proposed here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 05:56 AM   #66
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
seriously, You have said everything. You seem to know (without hearing the eminence) that you want the eminence.
No I don't know. I cannot claim I know before I hear the speaker. I just read reviews and user comments and I am trying to imagine how the speaker will sound based on the commonality of the comments. Seriously if I had seen even one comment bashing those speakers I would have a completely different opinion right now. The fact here is that neither me or you have hear the speaker and therefore our opinions are just educated guesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
You dont want the best sound, good, because you will not acheive hifi result with a budget PA bass speaker.
No I don't want the best sound, that would cost me a fortune.
I only want good, pleasing sound and I am willing to sacrifice accuracy as a trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
We gave you recommendation and you dont think our opinion is more valuable then some unknown reviewers.
Your opinion is just as valuable as anyone else's. I don't know personally anyone of you so I don't know whose opinion is more valuable.
However I tend to favor the opinions of people that have actually heard the speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
I strongly suggest that first of all, since you will be doing a 3-way, you open a thread in the multiway section.mention your idea about that bass driver. I am no pro, but I'm sure that some guy over there will be happy to inform you the best they can.
That is a really sound advice
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 10:19 AM   #67
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
No I don't want the best sound, that would cost me a fortune.
I only want good, pleasing sound and I am willing to sacrifice accuracy as a trade-off.
Even so I still don t quite get why you would choose this over a refined full range driver. You will simply have more detail with a high fi speaker than with this guitar speaker. The only advantage I can see is that it can be mind bogglingly LOUD, if you care about that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 01:07 PM   #68
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I am risky and I like challenges.
I also like to go against the wave (I will not p*** again the wind though, I am not that dumb ).
What intrigued me to try that driver is the fact that it has being the base of a HiFi speaker with great reviews (the Tekton Lore).
The driver used in that speaker could be modified or custom build for that particular speaker and not stock. Nobody seems to be quite sure about that.
It looks stock and even though it's designer says that is has being modified, he doesn't say what has being modified.
It may only be that he is saying so to protect his sales.
Worse case scenario, the driver in the Lore performs well because of the modifications. Even then, the stock driver performs remarkably well from 45-2.000Hz and has useful extension up to 4K.
I believe that if there have being some modifications, they would be to improve the high frequency extension to make it work nicely without a crossover.
In that case a proper crossover at 2KHz will probably be enough with the stock driver.
O.K. I said I want to avoid the crossover, but if nothing else works at least I will not throw the drivers in the garbage.

Do I want loud? Well, sometimes I do. I really miss the dynamics of my Klipsch Heresy II.
I sold that speaker because I couldn't stand the harsh treble but I was much younger then and I could hear all the harshness it was throwing out.
Maybe it was just a bad match with my Naim amplifier because it sounded very different that the demo I heard driven by a low power tube amplifier.
It was also lacking in bass for a 12"woofer.
After I sold it I couldn't find anything that will give me similar dynamics and smooth mid-highs at the same time.
All the speakers I tried after the Heresy had deeper bass (most of the limes not tight enough though), smoother mid/highs, better imaging but none of them had the dynamics of the Klipsch.
This 10" driver looks like it will have similar dynamics, deeper bass and if I am lucky it will also have smoother mids.
Coupled with a smooth tweeter it should be very close to what I am looking for.

In the end I may be entirely wrong and end up with a speaker I do not enjoy but that can be the case with any other choice.
I guess I will never know unless I try.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 01:30 PM   #69
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Well I heard a zu based on an eminence and definitely modified. It was a highly etertaining sound but not the last word in microdetail. For that a hifi fr driver like a markaudio is better. Not to mention that it will become a standard 3 way compared your original question for a driver until 10k.

Do a sim in Winisd to better predict the bass response of the eminence.

In the pro area, also check coaxials. For example Beyma have interesting 8 and 10 inch models that could work well in a small box if you add your subwoofer. My own main speakers use the out of production pro coaxial beyma 8bx.

Eminence offers a 10" coaxial as well, i once saw a quite cool design with it, it got good comments too:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/index...i/ct235_en.htm
If you find the plans for CT235 then you have an affordable and proven design along what you want, and the filter design should be ok as well.

Last edited by talaerts; 6th February 2013 at 01:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 02:07 PM   #70
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
Well I heard a zu based on an eminence and definitely modified. It was a highly etertaining sound but not the last word in microdetail. For that a hifi fr driver like a markaudio is better. Not to mention that it will become a standard 3 way compared your original question for a driver until 10k.

Do a sim in Winisd to better predict the bass response of the eminence.

In the pro area, also check coaxials. For example Beyma have interesting 8 and 10 inch models that could work well in a small box if you add your subwoofer. My own main speakers use the out of production pro coaxial beyma 8bx.

Eminence offers a 10" coaxial as well, i once saw a quite cool design with it, it got good comments too:
Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components
If you find the plans for CT235 then you have an affordable and proven design along what you want, and the filter design should be ok as well.
Thanks for the info, I will check that one too.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help with a full range system Larkoth Full Range 5 9th December 2012 03:12 PM
Full range driver in a small speaker system exeric Full Range 18 7th April 2012 08:38 PM
Simple, Inexpensive, yet Decent Full Range/Single Driver system? dsavitsk Full Range 11 16th August 2006 10:40 PM
4-5" driver 50-10,000hz chuck55 Multi-Way 10 23rd June 2006 06:00 PM
PEAK FULL RANGE 12TX-50 DRIVERS - Are they worth anything? ozynigma Full Range 0 27th April 2004 07:47 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2