Best full range driver between 50-10.000Hz for a 3way system - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 10:06 AM   #51
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
fair enough. I just really like the metal cones for their mids so maybe a larger metal cone with a tweet, fountek do a nice 6.5" at a good price http://www.fountek.net/uploadfile/1011/25104057.PDF
I was eyeballing that one too but then I discovered the 10" Eminence B102 and that is probably the driver I am looking for.
The center channel speaker is going to look enormous with that 10" driver but it's probably worth it.
Old 5th February 2013, 02:04 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

There's nothing wrong with pro drivers for hifi sound. They're just very difficult to work with cause they have large break ups and wild impedance. I wouldn't be worried about the sound if you can implement it right. Mind you. The only eminence like this b102 was the beta12lta with a wizzer cone, and it had some issues. Not bad though. All the other eminence woofers I've used have been really great.
Old 5th February 2013, 02:32 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

>>> Anyway, I already have a pair of 8" midbass drivers that I can try together with the CHP70s or the Tang Band W3-881SI that I also have.

>>> beta12lta...

The Eminence pro drivers are well built and if they suit your design they will sound great. I love the beta 12lta and have built my main system around them. I have a bunch of TB and Fostex drivers (including the expensive TB 1808 and Fostex 168Z) and prefer the Eminence overall for my application, in my room. I think the sound is so different between these drivers that personal taste must come into play. The larger pro drivers will sound very different than the smaller drivers listed above.

Just my 2 cents...
Zilla
Old 5th February 2013, 02:43 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

this driver is worth a try
SP-205/8
Monacor SP 205 8 Universal Breitbandlautsprecher 8? | eBay
The best DIY speaker in the world? - DIY Audio & Electronics - StereoNET Australia
here are some pics from the original Australian Thread, because I think to see pictures you have to log in
Ultra Fi za male pare - Zvucnici - diyAudio.rs
for those who speaks German:
http://www.dosisnet.de/SP_205_8.pdf
Old 5th February 2013, 03:36 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
There's nothing wrong with pro drivers for hifi sound. They're just very difficult to work with cause they have large break ups and wild impedance. I wouldn't be worried about the sound if you can implement it right. Mind you. The only eminence like this b102 was the beta12lta with a wizzer cone, and it had some issues. Not bad though. All the other eminence woofers I've used have been really great.
I wonder, have you seen the frequency response graph of this driver?
I can't see any cone brake up (at least not one that can affect the sound). Can you? Am I missing something?
Old 5th February 2013, 03:39 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
The Eminence pro drivers are well built and if they suit your design they will sound great. I love the beta 12lta and have built my main system around them. I have a bunch of TB and Fostex drivers (including the expensive TB 1808 and Fostex 168Z) and prefer the Eminence overall for my application, in my room. I think the sound is so different between these drivers that personal taste must come into play. The larger pro drivers will sound very different than the smaller drivers listed above.

Just my 2 cents...
Zilla
That was exactly my thought.
Personal taste plays a huge role here.
However in order to hear them I will have to buy them (just like I did with the CHP70s).
Oh well...
Old 5th February 2013, 03:58 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
this driver is worth a try
SP-205/8
Monacor SP 205 8 Universal Breitbandlautsprecher 8? | eBay
The best DIY speaker in the world? - DIY Audio & Electronics - StereoNET Australia
here are some pics from the original Australian Thread, because I think to see pictures you have to log in
Ultra Fi za male pare - Zvucnici - diyAudio.rs
for those who speaks German:
http://www.dosisnet.de/SP_205_8.pdf
There are some ultra low cost drivers that are well worth a try, the monacor you just mentioned, the 6"Aura woofer, the 8" Kenford and probably several others I have not discover yet.
However even though I enjoy the DIY process I do not intend to keep building speakers as a hobby.
I just want to build the speakers I need and then sit back and enjoy them for years.
I truly hope i will only have to do it once .

Last edited by SpirosZ; 5th February 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 5th February 2013, 04:00 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

I was talking about pro drivers in general, but ya, I see cone break up starting around 2khz. Do you see cone break up in this 3" driver measurement (red plot)

Click the image to open in full size.

Cause there is some and it's audible.
Old 5th February 2013, 04:12 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

I am not an expert but the cone break up (on the Eminence driver) at just above 2k looks very smooth and right after there is a very steep falloff so any harmonics will be very low in volume.
I have seen frequency graphs of other pro drivers that look like roller coasters above 1k but this one looks pretty smooth. My guess is that the cone breakup is not offensive and can be left as is.
The 3' driver looks quite smooth too at least up to 9k
Old 5th February 2013, 04:33 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

What I was saying, was directed at those who said pro drivers can't make hifi sound. Yes they can. They just get a bad name because they often require tons of work.

For this particular B102, I doubt the reviews your reading. I don't look at reviews like that because I like accurate sound and most reviewers like unaccurate sound. The B102 may have a smooth roll off, but what you don't see in the spec sheet, or my measurement of a 3" full ranger, is the harmonic distortion, the CSD ringing, the erratic off axis response, etc. That 3" has break up starting at 7khz and it's audible.

Your logic that because of the steep roll off any harmonics will be low in volume is incorrect. The harmonics originate lower in frequency than the break up. Here's a quick example: http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/AurumC...0-50C2C-HD.gif

You can see the break up in the red plot starts at 3000hz and on. Look closely at the shape of the break up. Now look at the green trace (2nd order) directly below it. See it has the same shape. Now the blue (3rd order) starting at 1khz. And the grey (5th order) starting at 600hz. All those harmonics are products of the break up.

I'm only trying to be upfront. Your plan isn't necessarily bad. Go for it and report back to us. Godzilla seems to like the Beta 12LTA. Personally, I don't. But who am I to point to a graph and say he's wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!