Best full range driver between 50-10.000Hz for a 3way system - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 01:28 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirosZ View Post
The requested useful range of 50-10.000Hz can actually shrink to 80-8.000Hz or even to 80-5.000Hz but I want the effortless 80Hz of a large cone and not the stressed and probably distorted 80Hz of a 4' or 5" driver.
Audax PR170N0, successor of legendary PR170M0 could suit you very well:

The Madisound Speaker Store
Old 4th February 2013, 01:39 PM   #22
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If considering FF225WK, what about FF165WK? It goes to 50 Hz and is 6.5 in class full range with good efficiency and priced much less than A12.
Old 4th February 2013, 01:57 PM   #23
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

you know SpirosZ, Dayton makes rather inexpensive and quite good pro-midwoofers, 5" and 6", which perform very well, I know, I used them. If you need more slam, you can always double the drivers...
Woofers, Subwoofers & Midrange Speakers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 31 - 497|3917,3919,301

here what I built for my musician friends:
Audio Pages: PA speakers
Old 4th February 2013, 03:05 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Nice projects there Adason. I have used the small Dayton's too (5" full rangerers) to good effect in small BIBs that were designed for the Fostex 127e. The Dayton's offer more punch and bass than the Fostex but a less refined sound. Sometimes who gives a crap about refined tho... a lifelike reproduction can trump microdynamics depending on how you listen or your mood. I used to shy away from pro drivers but don't anymore.

I heard the Audax driver (the original one) in an open baffle setup with ported VOT woofers beneath them and an old Klipsch tweeter. The sound was effortless and dynamic.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirosZ View Post
The Aplair A12P could also be a choice even though I would rather cut the sub under 100Hz.
How does an A12P crossed at 100Hz would compare to an FF225WK + tweeter with a 6db/octave XO @~5-8K?
The Alpair is a 6" driver right?
I only listened to the FF225WK full range without extra tweeter. Very pleasant but a bit too dark on its own. I have not heard it with tweeter but it should be great.

The A12P is quite simply one of the very best fullrange speakers I have ever heard. It is one of those few "why pay more" products. It does not need a tweeter. What is remarkable is that it even sounds dynamic at low volume.
I would cross it a bit above 100hz.
Alternatively you can find a great looking standmount design for the A12P here on the forum (someone will be kind enough to post a link to the pictures and the dimensions). I think that the A12P descends to 90hz or so in that box. You could initially even try not to filter it at all, only match the sub.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:32 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
Well, contrary to my own expectations, the FF225WK is not shouty when played unfiltered. It is pleasant and warm sounding. The B200 indeed has a reputation of being somewhat difficult to handle.
so the 225WK was just dark above 8K(?), as compared, say to the 165?

but, yeah, the A12P is pretty special - in a full sized Pensil, quite capable to well below 80Hz, and younger, keener ears than mine might want some help above 12-15K

Last edited by chrisb; 4th February 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:38 PM   #27
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
I only listened to the FF225WK full range without extra tweeter. Very pleasant but a bit too dark on its own. I have not heard it with tweeter but it should be great.

The A12P is quite simply one of the very best fullrange speakers I have ever heard. It is one of those few "why pay more" products. It does not need a tweeter. What is remarkable is that it even sounds dynamic at low volume.
I would cross it a bit above 100hz.
Alternatively you can find a great looking standmount design for the A12P here on the forum (someone will be kind enough to post a link to the pictures and the dimensions). I think that the A12P descends to 90hz or so in that box. You could initially even try not to filter it at all, only match the sub.
I have the A12p. it sound really really good. for your needs, it would fit.
however, the suggestion of a audax pr170mo (which I use) is miles better then the a12p, but you do need a supertweeter at 5k and a bass/midbass woofer up to 300hz...
Old 4th February 2013, 05:52 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
however, the suggestion of a audax pr170mo (which I use) is miles better then the a12p,
In what way?

Quote:
but you do need a supertweeter at 5k
That's a tweeter.

jeff
Old 4th February 2013, 06:21 PM   #29
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
In what way?

That's a tweeter.

jeff
Well, yeah, but you can use a good supertweeter that can go low.

well, its hard to compare especially since the audax is used from 300hz to 5khz.
The audax is more natural sounding. really organic. the weight of th instrument is better rendered, sparation of instrument is stunning. vocals are more natural. the tone is spot on, great tone. The naturalness of the sound is really addictive. Miles davis have never sounded so good really. The vocals are to die for, spinechilling. The presence of the music is just magical, the dynamics are shocking. It really feels as if the musician are right there. Yeah, the audax is the only driver I can honestly say that the musician feels just in the room. the slightest details are showed in a way that if someone cough and you didnt knew it, you would think its a real person. The audax is probably the best midrange I have ever heard. Its the only driver that I can compare to the mid of a tannoy red. The a12p tone is different. Its hard to talk about sound quality. The a12p sounds great, but side to side, the audax win easily. The highs of the 12p may be lacking a bit, I would use it with a supertweeter myself. The mid of the a12 is great though.
I am not bashing against the a12p, its a really good driver, the comparison is a bit unfair. The a12p is a driver I would have been happy with from 200hz with a woofer support.The audax is legendary and its aimed for midrange only, the a12p is a fullrange.

Last edited by murphythecat8; 4th February 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:22 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have the A12p. it sound really really good. for your needs, it would fit.
however, the suggestion of a audax pr170mo (which I use) is miles better then the a12p, but you do need a supertweeter at 5k and a bass/midbass woofer up to 300hz...
It's soooo weird how things all connect together ....

Audax PR170M0 100 dB or just *94 dB??

Hide this!Advertise here!