Best full range driver between 50-10.000Hz for a 3way system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 09:10 AM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
mondogenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: City Of Villans
Blog Entries: 1
myself and TVRgeek have been discussing a similar topic over in the multiway forum. Our desired bandwidth is a little smaller (600-6k or so). Within these constraints its a little easier. Im thinking of using an alpair5, and TVRgeek is looking at a fountek, the 89 i think. The limit with these is their sensitivity. We are both aiming to keep the FRs breakups out of the mid band. Provided excursion isnt a problem there is nothing preventing a wider midband, but i imagine that going with higher efficiency FRs could present more difficulty, particularly with matching polar patterns with larger drivers.
__________________
Every new piece of knowledge pushes something else out of my brain - Homer.....................Simpson

Last edited by mondogenerator; 4th February 2013 at 09:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 09:20 AM   #12
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
myself and TVRgeek have been discussing a similar topic over in the multiway forum. Our desired bandwidth is a little smaller (600-6k or so). Within these constraints its a little easier. Im thinking of using an alpair5, and TVRgeek is looking at a fountek, the 89 i think. The limit with these is their sensitivity.
The 600-6k range could be an option if I was going to use a woofer instead of a subwoofer but there is a conflict with the center channel that rules out that option.

If I was in your shoes I would be also looking at Fostex FF83WK with a 10" SB Acoustics woofer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 09:21 AM   #13
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
Well, contrary to my own expectations, the FF225WK is not shouty when played unfiltered. It is pleasant and warm sounding. The B200 indeed has a reputation of being somewhat difficult to handle.
Thank you for that info. So it seems that the Fostex could be one of my options.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 10:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Bill poster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London/Bangkok
What about the cheap MA CHR-70? Not sure where it rolls off f3 sealed but it might be a good bet
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 10:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
mondogenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: City Of Villans
Blog Entries: 1
+1 for that .
__________________
Every new piece of knowledge pushes something else out of my brain - Homer.....................Simpson
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 10:54 AM   #16
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Does 55 to 5.5kHz at 91 dB efficiency work for you? Here is a neodymium driver that may work and has been suggested in an mtm setup with good results reported.
Aura NS6-255-8A 6" Paper Cone Neodymium Magnet Woofer 299-030
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 11:24 AM   #17
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
What about the cheap MA CHR-70? Not sure where it rolls off f3 sealed but it might be a good bet
How much better a CHR70 can be (if it is any better) from the CHP70 that I have already bought and ruled out (along with all the 4" & 5" fullrange drivers available)?

The requested useful range of 50-10.000Hz can actually shrink to 80-8.000Hz or even to 80-5.000Hz but I want the effortless 80Hz of a large cone and not the stressed and probably distorted 80Hz of a 4' or 5" driver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 11:50 AM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
The requested useful range of 50-10.000Hz can actually shrink to 80-8.000Hz or even to 80-5.000Hz but I want the effortless 80Hz of a large cone and not the stressed and probably distorted 80Hz of a 4' or 5" driver.
Since you filter actively, you could cross the extended midrange at, say, 150 hz.
Then you could opt for the incredible Alpair A12P which in a way would be a good investment as you won't need a tweeter and associated filter components. The Alpair is very, very good, in my opinion a class higher than anything I heard from Fostex except a few limited editions.

Last edited by talaerts; 4th February 2013 at 11:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 12:14 PM   #19
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Does 55 to 5.5kHz at 91 dB efficiency work for you? Here is a neodymium driver that may work and has been suggested in an mtm setup with good results reported.
Aura NS6-255-8A 6" Paper Cone Neodymium Magnet Woofer 299-030
That one looks like the perfect driver for an ultra low cost speaker in general.
However even though my budget is not huge I would rather spend some more money on the main and most important driver of the system.
Having said that at $9/ea I may buy 3 of those just to try them.
I am only afraid of spending all my budget on possible low cost alternatives and not get the sound I want in the end (I have the tendency to buy several cheap stuff just to try if they are good for the money; I have already bought a pair of low cost 8" drivers only because they were cheap and had great reviews. They don't meet my criteria either so now I have to find a use for them).
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 12:22 PM   #20
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
Since you filter actively, you could cross the extended midrange at, say, 150 hz.
Then you could opt for the incredible Alpair A12P which in a way would be a good investment as you won't need a tweeter and associated filter components. The Alpair is very, very good, in my opinion a class higher than anything I heard from Fostex except a few limited editions.
The Aplair A12P could also be a choice even though I would rather cut the sub under 100Hz.
How does an A12P crossed at 100Hz would compare to an FF225WK + tweeter with a 6db/octave XO @~5-8K?
The Alpair is a 6" driver right?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help with a full range system Larkoth Full Range 5 9th December 2012 03:12 PM
Full range driver in a small speaker system exeric Full Range 18 7th April 2012 08:38 PM
Simple, Inexpensive, yet Decent Full Range/Single Driver system? dsavitsk Full Range 11 16th August 2006 10:40 PM
4-5" driver 50-10,000hz chuck55 Multi-Way 10 23rd June 2006 06:00 PM
PEAK FULL RANGE 12TX-50 DRIVERS - Are they worth anything? ozynigma Full Range 0 27th April 2004 07:47 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2