classic rock - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 09:34 PM   #1
rock12 is offline rock12  United States
diyAudio Member

Default classic rock

looking to build some medium size speakers for my son. He is still in the rock era. el70 in a full size founkin comes to mind. Good looking nice size but I think a little more crank ability(shake the house git down) is in order I think. Is there a med. size box for the tang bang 8" 1772 or some thing sim. black keys style music
Old 30th January 2013, 09:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

"Shake the house" likely will destroy any full range. This is an inexpensive easy build that will play loud.
Maurbacs NS6 MTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock12 View Post
looking to build some medium size speakers for my son. He is still in the rock era. el70 in a full size founkin comes to mind. Good looking nice size but I think a little more crank ability(shake the house git down) is in order I think. Is there a med. size box for the tang bang 8" 1772 or some thing sim. black keys style music
Old 30th January 2013, 09:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank fastbike looks like a very usable build. being new to a lot of this all your help has been greatly appreciated.
Old 31st January 2013, 03:46 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

The MTM is nicely done, but in the rock era, the 'West Coast Sound' response typical of Altec, JBL or similar proved the most popular:

GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3087249868_c193181b32_o.jpg (36.2 KB, 264 views)
Old 31st January 2013, 02:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

For some perhaps. As much as I wanted to like JBL's, I could never listen to a pair for very long before I got fatigued. Probably becuase I was on the Est Coast at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
The MTM is nicely done, but in the rock era, the 'West Coast Sound' response typical of Altec, JBL or similar proved the most popular:

GM
Old 31st January 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

fastbike,
thanks for the tip on the Maurbacs MTM and finally a project that uses the Aura NS6. I have been wondering how well those work and it looks like they may be the ticket for a cheap and compact sub woofer. My problem with multi-way speaker projects (aside from the fact that they are not fullrange) is that the crossover components often cost as much as the drivers when you use budget drivers and that is just unappealing. Bi-amping may be the way to go.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:21 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
For some perhaps.
No 'perhaps' judging by what was used in clubs, fraternities and those that could afford them, though of course the somewhat 'boomy' big bookshelf cone/dome offerings from both USA and foreign manufacturers were also popular due to being generally cheaper, smaller, but they too tended to have similar response profiles even though they didn't sound the same due to not being horn loaded, or at least not down nearly as low as the most popular Altec/JBL products.

Regardless, what was your fave/’dream’ R&R sound system composed of back then?

GM
Old 31st January 2013, 04:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post

Regardless, what was your fave/’dream’ R&R sound system composed of back then?

GM
1972-ish Kenwood-TRIO 100 watt receiver (forget the model number) + Kenwood KL-777 (15" paper woofers, dual midrange, tweeter, dual horn, adjustable crossover) + Dual TT w/Shure.

Click the image to open in full size.

This was my dad's system that I listened to throughout the 80's. I still haven't heard Led Zep any better than it was on that setup. Dad let me take it to University. That system in a tiny dorm room was as rockin' as it gets! It was as good at grunge as it was at classic rock...

I blew one of the speakers while on mind-altering substances and they got left in the old apartment. Hope somebody found them and fixed them up...

I attribute my tinitus to the time spent with that system.

Last edited by cogitech; 31st January 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 1st February 2013, 01:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

cogitech now that's a buetiful speaker No need for a sub with that
Old 1st February 2013, 02:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Those old fashioned speaker grilles sure are nice !

Hide this!Advertise here!