classic rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looking to build some medium size speakers for my son. He is still in the rock era. el70 in a full size founkin comes to mind. Good looking nice size but I think a little more crank ability(shake the house git down) is in order I think. Is there a med. size box for the tang bang 8" 1772 or some thing sim. black keys style music

"Shake the house" likely will destroy any full range. This is an inexpensive easy build that will play loud.
Maurbacs NS6 MTM

looking to build some medium size speakers for my son. He is still in the rock era. el70 in a full size founkin comes to mind. Good looking nice size but I think a little more crank ability(shake the house git down) is in order I think. Is there a med. size box for the tang bang 8" 1772 or some thing sim. black keys style music

GM

Joined 2003
The MTM is nicely done, but in the rock era, the 'West Coast Sound' response typical of Altec, JBL or similar proved the most popular:

GM

Attachments

• 3087249868_c193181b32_o.jpg
    3087249868_c193181b32_o.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 289
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
fastbike,
thanks for the tip on the Maurbacs MTM and finally a project that uses the Aura NS6. I have been wondering how well those work and it looks like they may be the ticket for a cheap and compact sub woofer. My problem with multi-way speaker projects (aside from the fact that they are not fullrange) is that the crossover components often cost as much as the drivers when you use budget drivers and that is just unappealing. Bi-amping may be the way to go.

GM

Joined 2003
For some perhaps.

No 'perhaps' judging by what was used in clubs, fraternities and those that could afford them, though of course the somewhat 'boomy' big bookshelf cone/dome offerings from both USA and foreign manufacturers were also popular due to being generally cheaper, smaller, but they too tended to have similar response profiles even though they didn't sound the same due to not being horn loaded, or at least not down nearly as low as the most popular Altec/JBL products.

Regardless, what was your fave/’dream’ R&R sound system composed of back then?

GM

Joined 2011
Paid Member

GM

1972-ish Kenwood-TRIO 100 watt receiver (forget the model number) + Kenwood KL-777 (15" paper woofers, dual midrange, tweeter, dual horn, adjustable crossover) + Dual TT w/Shure.

Kenwood_KL-777_Stereo_Speakers_web.jpg

This was my dad's system that I listened to throughout the 80's. I still haven't heard Led Zep any better than it was on that setup. Dad let me take it to University. That system in a tiny dorm room was as rockin' as it gets! It was as good at grunge as it was at classic rock...

I blew one of the speakers while on mind-altering substances and they got left in the old apartment. Hope somebody found them and fixed them up...

I attribute my tinitus to the time spent with that system. :D

Last edited:
For this application, this should be an interesting, lively sounding speaker at mid size, and using a modified FR driver until 3000hz (modified as in: the whizzer has been cut off). I have never heard this design but it is well regarded and often built in Germany, precisely as it's a bit a throwback to the old days: they use cone tweeters!
FYI the new version uses a better tweeter that allows the total sensitivity to be quite high.

New version CT263:
Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente

Original design CT230:
Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Indeed, the Kenwoods were beautiful and very loud. 102 dB @ 1w/1m.

I have seen people ragging on these in the other forums. I bet if someone got a pair and overhauled the crossovers they'd be impressed. Talk about rock speakers.

Alas, I am happier today with my DIY full rangers than I have been with any speakers. My SPL requirements are more modest, and imaging, soundstage, etc. are more important to me.

Good luck in the search for some rockers.

FWIW, when you said JBL, I always think of L100s. I never had the chance to hear an Altec Model 15, Santana or similar.

I was partial to AR3A's or large Advents, that it until I got a pair of ESS AMT1A's.

Still regret selling those.

No 'perhaps' judging by what was used in clubs, fraternities and those that could afford them, though of course the somewhat 'boomy' big bookshelf cone/dome offerings from both USA and foreign manufacturers were also popular due to being generally cheaper, smaller, but they too tended to have similar response profiles even though they didn't sound the same due to not being horn loaded, or at least not down nearly as low as the most popular Altec/JBL products.

GM

A combination I have always enjoyed is an SLA from billfitzmaurice.com and the T18 also from bill. My first SLA was built with buyout mids and some inexpensive tweeters. Having said that I am planning some new SLA's with 3.5" vifa drivers. No tweeters this time so its officially a full range. The T18 is very efficient and plays well with others. Worth checking out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.