classic rock - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2013, 01:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

For this application, this should be an interesting, lively sounding speaker at mid size, and using a modified FR driver until 3000hz (modified as in: the whizzer has been cut off). I have never heard this design but it is well regarded and often built in Germany, precisely as it's a bit a throwback to the old days: they use cone tweeters!
FYI the new version uses a better tweeter that allows the total sensitivity to be quite high.

New version CT263:
Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente

Original design CT230:
Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente
Old 1st February 2013, 03:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Indeed, the Kenwoods were beautiful and very loud. 102 dB @ 1w/1m.

I have seen people ragging on these in the other forums. I bet if someone got a pair and overhauled the crossovers they'd be impressed. Talk about rock speakers.

Alas, I am happier today with my DIY full rangers than I have been with any speakers. My SPL requirements are more modest, and imaging, soundstage, etc. are more important to me.

Good luck in the search for some rockers.
Old 1st February 2013, 04:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

102db/1w? Surely not? That is Klipschorn etc - like sensitivity.
Old 1st February 2013, 05:52 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
102db/1w? Surely not? That is Klipschorn etc - like sensitivity.
Kenwood KL-777 on thevintageknob.org

Click on "specs".

I do recall that volume position 2 was pleasantly loud, and if you really wanted to rock, 4 was sufficient.
Old 2nd February 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

FWIW, when you said JBL, I always think of L100s. I never had the chance to hear an Altec Model 15, Santana or similar.

I was partial to AR3A's or large Advents, that it until I got a pair of ESS AMT1A's.

Still regret selling those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
No 'perhaps' judging by what was used in clubs, fraternities and those that could afford them, though of course the somewhat 'boomy' big bookshelf cone/dome offerings from both USA and foreign manufacturers were also popular due to being generally cheaper, smaller, but they too tended to have similar response profiles even though they didn't sound the same due to not being horn loaded, or at least not down nearly as low as the most popular Altec/JBL products.

Regardless, what was your fave/’dream’ R&R sound system composed of back then?

GM
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:21 PM   #16
MPM is offline MPM  United States
diyAudio Member

A combination I have always enjoyed is an SLA from billfitzmaurice.com and the T18 also from bill. My first SLA was built with buyout mids and some inexpensive tweeters. Having said that I am planning some new SLA's with 3.5" vifa drivers. No tweeters this time so its officially a full range. The T18 is very efficient and plays well with others. Worth checking out.
Old 4th February 2013, 07:52 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Kenwood KL-777 (15" paper woofers, dual midrange, tweeter, dual horn, adjustable crossover)...
Hmm. Reminds me of some of the old Sansui systems from the same era. Which I rather liked TBH, especially the SPX-11000 range-topper. Far from perfect, but great for Led Zep, King Crimson, Rick Wakeman etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!