Help with moving to smaller speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for your unwitting help all the time I have been lurking here.

About 3 months ago, using these forums for info, I built myself an amp and some large full range speakers, the frugal-horn kirishima (http://p10hifi.net/FH/downloads/SpawnHorn-v2-planset-070412.pdf).

It was a joy :) but now, too quickly, I have had to move and my new 'cave' is much smaller, to the extent that I will have to disguise the Kirishimas as a bed and build anew.

I am pretty sure the 206en drivers will have to go back in the box as I have not seen any great success with them in small enclosures.

Sooo... What shall I do next ladies and gents? If I am looking at 2M x 3M of usable space for a listening room, should I say farewell to fullrange horns for now, or can you suggest a new, frugal solution for my little room?

Based on the other things I have to squeeze in there, I would say I cannot build a bigger cabinet than 350mm depth or width; height up to 1800mm

I have looked at the pensil series
http://www.frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil-Series-set-100711.pdf

and the floorstanding fonkens,
http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/fonken-tune-FE127-FS-Mk2.pdf

there are possibilities there for sure, but I just thought this time, I would ask for some help before I glue my palm to my forehead again

Alternatively, if there is a general thread you think I should read again, point me there by all means, I am a little bummed out at the moment, it makes me slow witted

Thanks in advance

Jim

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sorry to hear that you are now stuck in a 2 m x 3 m room. You do not need very big speakers to fill this size room nicely. I think that the TABAQ with a 3 or a 4 inch driver will work very well in this size space and they sound great! A well designed straight profile mass loaded transmission line (folded if you want) is easy to make, looks good, and sounds terrific. Check out the TABAQ thread by Bjohannesen. Alternatively, some small (14 in to 16 in) cornu spiral horn wall mounts witha 3 in driver will also work well in this size room.

While there are numerous designs for decent sounding compact enclosures using drivers in the 3-4" range, (I've built dozens of pairs of at least half a dozen different designs) unless you'll be wall/shelf mounting them, they'd all need stands of some sort - a decent pair of which can cost more than the material to build the speakers.

I'd be inclined to suggest something along the lines of the Pensil with Alpair7.3, or at a lower budget the CHR70. Of the current Fostex series, the FF105WK would be another candidate in a smaller footprint floorstander.

The Cornu design is also very interesting, and when using the foam core material, apparently a very easy construction. If wall mounting would suit your placement / listening position, these would certainly be a viable option.

The wall mount Cornucopya built with foam board is a really cheap, quick solution.

I might favor a nice little Metronome with either the FF105wk or FE108eS. The FF105wk has at least one good comment on this forum. I have built the FE108eS Met and found it quite nice. Not everyone loves the Fostex sound so, as always, YMMV.

Cheers, Jim

Okay, Thanks for all the responses, you are very kind.

The cornu horn is intriguing, but I am a little sceptical ... Still as everyone says, not a big investment of time or money to find out :)

The Metronome is also something I had not really considered, again a relatively easy build with a small footprint.

Is a 5" being greedy? I am now thinking that the FF125WK (replacement for the FE127e) can fit in a cornu, a metronome and a really impressive array of small floorstanders. It does rule out the pensils though (unless there has been a successful mod that I am unaware of?)

Flip-flopping I know, but I suppose this is the whole point of asking for advice! :)

Thanks again

If your room (the total acoustic space) is only 2x3 meters, I would tend to go for the 4" driver rather than the 4.5". (The FF125wk isn't exactly a replacement for the FE127e, but it is as close as you can get with the current line of Fostex drivers.)

The Metronome is a smallish floor stander and can do OK close to a wall. Building a Met is more difficult than some other builds since the front/back/side panels aren't simple rectangles. I use a circular saw with a guide, then clean up irregularities (and make all pieces size matched) using a router with a flush trim bit.

Cheers, Jim

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
By Cornu standards, the FF125WK is a fairly big full size driver as it is meant for the 27+ in class Cornu's - which are too big for a 2x3 m space. A 3 inch driver could still work. If you are interested in getting deeper bass extension, a TABAQ will produce an ultimately lower note (down to 55 Hz) than a comparably sized Cornu for a 3 in driver and should sound nice in a small space.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We understand your apprehension of dropping down to such a small driver, but I think everyone who has built and listened to a cornu is that they can't believe such a big sound is coming from such a small driver. At least the effort to build one is really minimal compared to most speakers and the drivers can be relatively inexpensive to try compared to an 8 inch driver. A $12 to $30 3 in driver will sound very nice in a cornu. Give it a shot.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
The wall mount Cornucopya built with foam board is a really cheap, quick solution.

I might favor a nice little Metronome with either the FF105wk or FE108eS. The FF105wk has at least one good comment on this forum. I have built the FE108eS Met and found it quite nice. Not everyone loves the Fostex sound so, as always, YMMV.

Cheers, Jim

That FF105WK metronome is my favourite.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.