Fostex drivers vs Audio Nirvana Drivers for voices?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good Afternoon everyone,

While I am waiting for my Fe103en drivers from Dave at Planet 10 super guy. This will be my first buy from dave. ( I can't wait!)( Sorry I feel like a kid that just ate to much candy at the local candy store like in the willey wonka movie. The candy man song.) Well I was thinking of another project that I have been meaning to tackle? I know there is alot about this subject on Fostex vs A.N. drivers but, nothing really about voices? I am looking to build a speaker which will do alot of mixed sound effects and voices and radio theather listening duties. I was wondering which would be better to wait for my Modded fe103ens and add a subwoofer or buy the fe206en drivers? The same for the A.N. drivers but no modds. Has anyone really done any side by side listening test with the same wires,cd player,amps? I am looking at gettng the best bang for the buck and the best sound per. dollar. I can tell you that my room is 10 feet wide by 10 1/2 feet long with 8 foot ceilings. I will be using a modded dayton DTA 100A t- amp with my sansui 250 stereo amp. Wires who know at this point? No cd player but, will be getting on very soon. I will be using my computer to play my songs for now or my phones player. I hope this make sense. C.R.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon everyone,

While I am waiting for my Fe103en drivers from Dave at Planet 10 super guy. This will be my first buy from dave. ( I can't wait!)( Sorry I feel like a kid that just ate to much candy at the local candy store like in the willey wonka movie. The candy man song.) Well I was thinking of another project that I have been meaning to tackle? I know there is alot about this subject on Fostex vs A.N. drivers but, nothing really about voices? I am looking to build a speaker which will do alot of mixed sound effects and voices and radio theather listening duties. I was wondering which would be better to wait for my Modded fe103ens and add a subwoofer or buy the fe206en drivers? The same for the A.N. drivers but no modds. Has anyone really done any side by side listening test with the same wires,cd player,amps? I am looking at gettng the best bang for the buck and the best sound per. dollar. I can tell you that my room is 10 feet wide by 10 1/2 feet long with 8 foot ceilings. I will be using a modded dayton DTA 100A t- amp with my sansui 250 stereo amp. Wires who know at this point? No cd player but, will be getting on very soon. I will be using my computer to play my songs for now or my phones player. I hope this make sense. C.R.

some thoughts;

with decent music player software in your computer, you could probably sidestep getting a CD player altogether
- until you do, the quality of the standard sound card audio out on many computers, or line out on most phones leaves a lot to be desired - something like the little Topping TP30 can be a surprising upgrade for very little money when using PC (or Mac) USB

- for iPhone/iPod users there's a silly good & cheap dock by Pure (i20) that extracts the raw digital data, and has a fairly decent 24/192 internal DAC, as well as Toslink and coax SPDIF outputs for connection to external devices.

i-20

I use mine in the workshop for streaming my favorite NPR Jazz/Blues station with an iPhone app- better reception than FM radio, and the phone will also stream bluetooth to my truck radio (Kenwood)

- you should probably wait till you run the FE103s for a while, but I'd suggest that the 206s would be a step in the wrong direction for your described application (which is really a FAST -type 2-way) and room

- avoiding for the moment the question of comparing the two brands, the 206s or any of the larger AN drivers are quite capable of great performance, but need larger enclosures than you'd probably want to shoehorn in your room

-to supplement the 103s, I'd look for a pair of decent (6-8"?) mid-woofers XOd somewhere between 200-300(?), rather than a sub-thumper, none of which I've heard do a very seamless job of integrating with smaller FR drivers.

stock fostex 206 VS AN8 neo

both are good drivers in my opinion but the AN8 neo gives more detail in a smoother presentation, which I am assuming is down to things like it coming with a phase plug as stock, and surround treatment that is the same as used with the Enabl process.

i can only imagine that the fostex with similar mods would sound very similar, if not better than the AN8 as i feel it has higher quality cone material.

one major let down for me with the fostex is the stamped basket. it looks and feels cheap and tatty and needs to have something done to it as you can feel it resonating under normal playing conditions. the AN8 super models have a very high quality cast frame BUT appear to have cheaper cones and magnet materials.

both are detailed and have good dynamics.

the fostex also has more 'good' boxes around for it and more forum support that is less biased and more realistic.

Last edited:
some thoughts;

with decent music player software in your computer, you could probably sidestep getting a CD player altogether
- until you do, the quality of the standard sound card audio out on many computers, or line out on most phones leaves a lot to be desired - something like the little Topping TP30 can be a surprising upgrade for very little money when using PC (or Mac) USB

- for iPhone/iPod users there's a silly good & cheap dock by Pure (i20) that extracts the raw digital data, and has a fairly decent 24/192 internal DAC, as well as Toslink and coax SPDIF outputs for connection to external devices.

i-20

I use mine in the workshop for streaming my favorite NPR Jazz/Blues station with an iPhone app- better reception than FM radio, and the phone will also stream bluetooth to my truck radio (Kenwood)

- you should probably wait till you run the FE103s for a while, but I'd suggest that the 206s would be a step in the wrong direction for your described application (which is really a FAST -type 2-way) and room

- avoiding for the moment the question of comparing the two brands, the 206s or any of the larger AN drivers are quite capable of great performance, but need larger enclosures than you'd probably want to shoehorn in your room

-to supplement the 103s, I'd look for a pair of decent (6-8"?) mid-woofers XOd somewhere between 200-300(?), rather than a sub-thumper, none of which I've heard do a very seamless job of integrating with smaller FR drivers.

Wow Chris Alot to think about :D. Thanks for your insight about using a subwoofer. I will wait like you said and go towards a 8 inch woofer. Can you step us to a 10 inch woofer or does it lack the quickness to integrate with the fe103en drivers? Also Which 8 inch drivers are a good match? This is my first time for this type of speaker building? I have been looking at a few 8 inch drivers and 1 -10 inch driver.

Here are the drivers:

1. Dayton Audio RS-225-8- 8 inch driver and the RS-270-8 10 inch driver.

2. Silver Flute W20RC38-8- 8 inch drivers. ( I have worked with there 6 1/2 inch drivers very nicely build after 10 years going strong.:D)

3. SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8-8 inch drivers.

4. HIVI F8-8 inch woofer.

5. Peerless 830869 or the 835026 8 inch woofers.

Now for the most over the top 8 inch woofer I fell in love with for the natural and live sound was the Audax is the HM210C0.

I hope this helps out were I am coming from. Thanks C.R.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
does Bud not suggest ever sticky glue treatment to try and damp the rayleigh waves that occur here and at the intersect?

For some drivers, but it is not part of EnABL. Just another trick to deal with cone/surround issues. And not really on the surround, at the surround/cone junction. It should be noted that it is in addition to what is already there on the FExx6 drivers.

dave

C.R. - FWIW, of the various brands in your short list, the only with which I've had any experience are several models of Peerless - 4, 6 & 8" HDS, and one of the Silver Flutes (Dave can advise which model Greg used in his 2-way a few years back) . Due to a special acquisition some time ago, we've had a substantial, though now dwindling, supply of the CSS SDX7 - a great performer, but not the lowest price in this weight class.

Over the years I've tried Adire Shiva, (12" XBL) and various other deep stroking bass monsters, but frankly would prefer to go for multiples of smaller drivers- such as push-push bipole , etc. - --but of course YMMV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.