Audio nivarna Super8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of using the Audio Nivarna super8 (std magnet) in aVoight pipe or Frugal horn type of enclosure. I see from the specs that both the stamped or cast frame models have impedance rising to around 150 ohms in the 40-50Hz area.
Can anyone advise me if this would be a problem ?
Thanks
Mike

I had a pair of VOIGHT PIPES with the 6.5 common sense (audio nirvana) drivers and they were starting to sound very good until my house burnt down and they were lost to that. as far as 8's for them or the frugal horn would be a tough thing to enlarge the cabinet properly. I have 2 sets of 2.8 cabinets with 2 ,3 inch ports that work very well with 8 and 10 inch drivers, that common sense recommends with these drivers. i'm building the frugalhorns with the fostex fe126, to see if these small drivers truely sound better in this cabinet(frugalhorn). I have done the first step in EnABLing the audio nirvanas (Modpodge painting) with a better sound coming from them than I thought possible. Thats my take on the audio nirvana's

Voigt. No 'h.' Named for P. G. A. H. Voigt.

There aren't any FH designs for the Audio Nirvana drivers. You'll need some help from a high output impedance amplifier or Eq in any event since as-is, with a mass-corner of nearly 400Hz according to the published data, they're not ideal for use in back-loads without support. Assuming this is the case, a Voigt pipe (tapped conical horn) designed for them would probably work as well as anything.

Re the impedance, with certain exceptions that we don't need to go into here, the impedance of all drive units rises at resonance.

GM

Joined 2003
FWIW, FreddyI's measurement of two a few years ago had even lower Qts than spec'd, a rare occurrence regardless of manufacturer, though higher Fs, but once loosened up calculates to very close to spec. A pity that not all of their driver line is proven to be as good.

GM

mikenoble

Hello,
whats up with the double horn technic,
to reduce the Imp below 50 Hz to 4 ohm flat,
and bass down 35 Hz.
May be my solutions would be the best way to drive
such driver with single tube amps.
look Saxophon, RDH20, Posaune XL on my HP
the double horn is smaller as a single driver solution.

FWIW, FreddyI's measurement of two a few years ago had even lower Qts than spec'd, a rare occurrence regardless of manufacturer, though higher Fs, but once loosened up calculates to very close to spec. A pity that not all of their driver line is proven to be as good.

Interesting! Good to know; that's very rare for a lower Qt. Yeah, shame some of the others haven't measured up as it were.

I had a play around with a pair of Super 8"s I picked up off ebay a while back. There is a few pictures here:

Audio Nirvana Super 8"

They are a good entry level fullrange driver for the price but the mids are hard to tame.

have you damped the stamped basket with anything? playing with other drive units with stamped baskets, it makes a huge difference to the sound.

think i also read somewhere on here, that there's a definite improvement between the cast frame super 8's and the stamped frame ones.

Ditto encasing the motor in open cell foam or felt and depending on how the motor is attached to the frame, adding a thick bead of epoxy to stabilize this joint/raise its resonance to make it easier to damp, though some folks prefer to fill this area with modeling clay or similar to try and push the resonances lower.

GM

I measured super 8 a couple of years ago for a customer. Qts came back much higher then declared. Don't remember which exact model it was but it sounded good OB and very muddy in the ported cabinet. Also, not sure if the specs changed over the years.
Distortions and CSD were quite nice for a paper driver. Much better then Fostex IMO.
But I would suggest checking TS on your own.

Attachments

• fr far field.JPG
    fr far field.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 78
  • imp.JPG
    imp.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 74
  • distortion.JPG
    distortion.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 69
  • csd.JPG
    csd.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 72
  • dist in arta.JPG
    dist in arta.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.