Time Window and a microtower question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reading a lot on the net about DCM Time Windows and various restorations / clones. I remember seeing them years ago in speaker buying guides and thought the looked neat but I have never heard them.

Now seeing as I have procrastinated on building my microtowers with top mount EL70, would mounting the drivers on adjacent sides create a Time Window experience? My listening room is small and is shared for other domestic considerations (read WAF). The speakers must be close to the wall.

Thoughts?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does it make sense to change the angles of the microtower to match his? Would there be a noticable difference in the sound propagation?
Or am I just counting angels on the head of a pin?

Keep the cross-section the same (and not too radical) and you will be fine with changing the shape of the cross-section. You could even make it time window shape, with an appropriate piece of curved material.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is a 1st approximation. One could likely get a close result with 10 or 12" SonoTube (or similar) by pulling apart or pushing together cut edges as necessary. You probably can't get 11".

A pieve of 10" or 12" PVC would be ideal, increasing or decreasing the front splay or moving the intersection of the baffle with the tube. Target is about 54 in^2, one would need to accomodate some internal structure and bracing to make the build easier (in which a piece of 12" ID PVC would be ideal.

Here is a 4' chunk. If you are careful with your length wise cut this would be close to perfect.

PVC 12" Pipe, 4' section

dave

Attachments

• time-window-shaped-uTower.gif
    time-window-shaped-uTower.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.