Help with MA CHP-70 gen 2 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 06:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Ah, the gentleman is back, moaning because he didn't bother reading the information in the data sheet, didn't bother looking at the frequency response, stuffed the drivers into a pair of boxes salvaged from a minisystem without any thought whatsoever given to the alignmment, and therefore blames them for their HF extension (read the data sheet & look at the FR), and because being 4in wideband drive units, they lack the dynamic range of a couple of 15in Tannoys.

Go figure.
Old 30th January 2013, 02:16 AM   #12
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know if i'd say it's a toy speaker... actually I wouldn't say that. It's decent for what it is. It's a small speaker mounted in a small box. As such, there are definitely short comings; bass, sound stage size, super clear detail is lacking because the mid is having to make bass and no high freq driver. I knew these things going in.

I have large speakers and there will be others even bigger on the horizon. I also don't see the point in tiny drivers in a huge speaker. My next build will probably be a 3 way with 10" or 12" bass and 6.5 or 8" mid. Why make a little tiny speaker struggle to produce the bass while also handling the mids when you have all that real estate to put multiple drivers.

Compared to my Troels Graveson Nomex 164's they hang in there pretty good. They don't have the super smooth shimmery highs of the Scanspeak tweeter or the more effortless lows and mids of the dual 6.5" drivers, but they come close in general.

Compared to my Kef's, once again they don't have the bass of a floorstander, but they are much smoother and nicer to listen to.

Regards,
Evan
Old 30th January 2013, 10:40 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

"Smoother and nicer to listen to". That is the goal of every "next" speaker I have built.
The chp-70s in my frugal horns give the most musical presentation I have ever had. Upper end roll off is no problem for my ears at my age. The bottom end is a little "bloomy" but certainly not offensive.
I am presently experimenting with a 2 way plus sub floorstander using the nomex 164. If I can achieve the same musicality as the chp-70 but with improved bottom end I shall be more than satisfied.....for a while. After all, this is a hobby.
I found the amp to make a noticeable difference with the chp. B1 pre and F5 works best for me. Symasym on a breadboard at the moment looks very promising too.
Peter
Old 30th January 2013, 03:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hey Peter,
Those are my goals too, among others.
Are you meaning you are using the Peerless 830875 for your two way or taking Troels design and tweaking it? The Troels Design is very musical, bass is very respectable (I built the 40L) and they are very smooth and easy to listen to
The Peerless is a nice driver that I have zero complaints about. Seems made well, looks great and sound great.
Evan
Old 30th January 2013, 03:43 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The 830875 is a snoutspankingly good driver. Most of those HDS units are.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
The 830875 is a snoutspankingly good driver. Most of those HDS units are.
Yes, I was not disappointed. One thing is that they are supposed to deliver tons of detail. I think the CHP delivers a little more of the subtle stuff. I have attenuated the tweeter level 2.5db in the NOMEX. Could this be the culprit? I've been planning on bringing it back up to see, but it's a pain in the *** opening the speaker up and tearing the crossover apart.

Peter, Troels Jensen speakers sound like they might fit the bill for you two way with sub. They are three way with 10" I believe. He had planned a version with the Nomex 830875, but I haven't seen it. Not sure if he scraped that one or just not done it yet. You could always ask him; he's a real nice guy. They crossovers for those speaker are a nightmare cost wise though. Of course you can use cheaper stuff than he does.

Evan
Old 30th January 2013, 03:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Possibly, although it's also quite likely a matter of the voicing of the drivers. Without being able to measure them side by side to ascertain exactly what's going on, it's difficult to say. Personally, I'd leave Troels' design as-is since it's likely a balance that will suit extended periods.
Old 30th January 2013, 04:12 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The reason I attenuated it further, only about .5 db more than he calls for, is that female vocals were sounding just a bit shrill. Now the speakers are rather warm and mellow and vocals sound very real. They are probably not real balanced, but it doesn't stand out. Overall, they sound great

Evan
Old 30th January 2013, 05:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

In that case, I'd leave well alone & enjoy them for what they are.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Evan....
Not meaning to digress from the full range, but to respond to your question, I am using the peerless 830875 and vifa xt25 in my 2 way w/dayton 10" sub actively crossed. If you are interested, there is a picture of it attached to my last post in the multi-way forum. In fact, my Frugelhorn is there too. I have some other drivers that i intend to try also, that I have acquired over the years. If I can achieve the almost holographic quality of the full ranger, I'll be really pleased, but I suspect that may be a quality limited to crossoverless speakers.
Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!