Bookshelf build with TB W3-881SI, nice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After getting help with the gurus on this forum, particularly Scottmoose, who suggested the cabinet dimensions as outlined here. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/227000-tb-w3-881si-cabinet.html

I have just finished and listened for about 30minutes. sounds clear female voice, high notes are also well reproduced. Unfortunately I only had yellow color wood stain which does not do justice. Here is the video uploaded to youtube but the digital camera was several years old and sound is not reproduced well. home made speaker, sounds excellent but the old digital camera was used. - YouTube

I knew the bass was not going to be substantial but for my near field use in a small room is very satisfying. I will listen more for several days and may add further comments.

I enourage others to try this cabinet.

gychang

Attachments

• SAMSUNG WB7502013-01-22--13.59.430038.jpg
    SAMSUNG WB7502013-01-22--13.59.430038.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 767
  • SAMSUNG WB7502013-01-23--16.23.230003.jpg
    SAMSUNG WB7502013-01-23--16.23.230003.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 722
  • DMC-LZ72013-01-24--10.02.580002.jpg
    DMC-LZ72013-01-24--10.02.580002.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 729
  • 20130121TB1.jpg
    20130121TB1.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 737
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Gychang,
Nice build - I bet they sound good! So you went with the Scottmoose TL design? Why did you start a new thread instead of just posting the build in the original thread? Do you have a mic? Try measuring the port output with Holmimpulse to see if it is close to the simulation. What is the amp you are using?

Last edited:
Gychang,
Nice build - I bet they sound good! So you went with the Scottmoose TL design? Why did you start a new thread instead of just posting the build in the original thread? Do you have a mic? Try measuring the port output with Holmimpulse to see if it is close to the simulation. What is the amp you are using?

they sound somewhat laid back and "full" for the 3" speaker. I don't have a mic... My amp is Arjen Helder's MKIII, they are an excellent t-amp.

gychang

gychang,

Thanks to you and Scottmoose for the posts.

I work with middle school students in an inner city school. I have some students interested in speaker design and thought that this design looks complicated enough to hold their interest but simple enough for them to complete. Plus, Parts Ex had the drivers on for $8.

After studying your 3D drawings (the corrected ones) in the other thread, I had one question.

Is the driver centered in the front baffle? The drawings and photos seem to show them a little lower than centered. That dimension was not on the drawing.

Thanks again,
JH

Last edited:
Hi jhutka, you could consider my folded TABAQ. It is more simple and works very well. Please note you can mount the driver in the middle of the front baffle.

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ BOX Cabinet build.pdf

Have fun !

PS: Why not build both TABAQ BOX and Scottmoose TL design and compare the two ? This could be very interesting !

Hi from Bjorn

Hi jhutka, you could consider my folded TABAQ. It is more simple and works very well. Please note you can mount the driver in the middle of the front baffle

Thanks Bjorn, (Don't want to stray too far from this thread)
I already have a set of your TABAQ designs done and given to a friend. There are 5 pairs of TB W3-881SI s and most of those are going to folded TABAQS. Also, following Toobhed's lead, I've got a pair of TB W4-1320SJ s, 4 inchers for TABAQ s too. He preferred no baffle step correction. I may differ and ask you for the BSC parameters for the previously mentioned 4 inch drivers.

So yes, we will compare... if time allows.

JHutka

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.