Full Range Amplification - A Revelation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Shuguang = Psvane (now).

Actually, no.

Psvane is an offshoot of defectors from Shuguang. The giant that is Shuguang still very much exists, and they still make and sell tubes. Many more than Psvane, in fact.

Shuguang is the oldest and largest tube manufacturer in China, established in 1958 by engineers educated and trained in the United States in the 30-40s. Shuguang’s vacuum tube production accounts for the world’s 40% total tube output nowadays, either under their own brand “Shuguang” or under OEM brands.

Generic Shuguang tubes come in clear glass enclosure. The ‘Shuguang Treasure’ series comes with carbon compound coating inside the tubes making them appearing to be ‘black bottle’. They are only released in Dec 2008 to celebrate Shuguang’s 50th anniversary and technology advancement.

After launching the 50 year anniversary Treasure series in 2008, a team inside Shuguang has been developing new additions to its high end tube line to include large power tubes and small preamp tubes. With venture capital from UK and countless testing by Treasure series’ original design team, a new series called “Psvane” (pronounced as ‘Pavane’ – the brand is created from the inspiration of the 17th century classic music dance) T-series has born in Aug 2010. The Psvane series is a further fine tuning over the Treasure series, and the brand is owned by a separate entity other than Shuguang Group itself. Since Nov 2011, Psvane brand has officially become independent from Shuguang and production has been removed from Shuguang. New Psvane Audio manufacturing facility was acquired from Guiguang Tube Factory.

To know who is Psvane and the story between Shuguang Treasure and Psvane brand, read our Recent News post: Who is Psvane? | Psvane Audio Tubes, Caps and Amps

I was a little late to the party but there is a fair amount of noise going on about the TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD integrated amplifier based on the Texas Instruments TPA3100 chip. All of the Tripath chips are obsolete at this late date. As these newest generation TI digital amplifier and similar chips get developed into mature extremely high quality amplifiers over the next few years, it looks like a permanent end to all class A and AB solid state and vacuum tube amplifiers as we know them today. It also looks like full range speakers have a very bright future. Just my prediction.

No, I have had the original, genuine Tripaths and in my opinion, they don't belong in the same class as the best linear amps. The only Class D amp that does is Hypex nCore.

Also, the Class D amps are terrible matches with fullrange speakers in my experience.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've got a Tripath (TPA2020) in my bedroom system and it has earned a permanent home their for low to mid volume movie/tv/music duty, but when I plug it into the living room system it makes me laugh, then nearly cry. At anything past 1 o'clock it just sounds like a complete joke.

My tube amp isn't going anywhere. People thought SS would kill tubes, but they're not dead yet. To think class D will kill SS and tubes seems pretty funny.

No, I have had the original, genuine Tripaths and in my opinion, they don't belong in the same class as the best linear amps. The only Class D amp that does is Hypex nCore.

Also, the Class D amps are terrible matches with fullrange speakers in my experience.

The TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD integrated amplifier with the Texas Instruments TPA3100 chip has actually been around a few years. The new Texas Instruments TPA3116D2, TPA3118D2, and TPA3130D2 chips are the ones that may rival the Hypex nCore amplifiers for sound quality though at a much lower cost. Many are selling their expensive amplifiers already due to the MG3 and these new chips should prove to be much better.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I've got a Tripath (TPA2020) in my bedroom system and it has earned a permanent home their for low to mid volume movie/tv/music duty, but when I plug it into the living room system it makes me laugh, then nearly cry. At anything past 1 o'clock it just sounds like a complete joke.

My tube amp isn't going anywhere. People thought SS would kill tubes, but they're not dead yet. To think class D will kill SS and tubes seems pretty funny.

I don't think it is because it is a class D that is the problem. The 2020 is really a nominally 6 watt amp into 8 ohm loads (where distortion is very low). At volume settings above the 1 o'clock setting you are pushing it into high distortion (10%+) which is where they quote the 25 watt rating. I think if you were to use a class D amp rated for 50 watts it would probably sound fine in your living room. In terms of actual production units to the masses, solid state has essentially taken over tubes which are now only in the realm of high end and audiophile use. No major electronics manufacturer produces amps with tubes anymore (jvc, sony, matsushita, phillips, etc.) I would guess the market share of tubes is less than 1 % compared to SS. However, with that said, on this forum and amongst the audiophile community, tubes are very much alive. It just depends on the sample you look at. I am not saying which is better, just the fact that SS really has taken over the old tube technology.

The TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD integrated amplifier with the Texas Instruments TPA3100 chip has actually been around a few years. The new Texas Instruments TPA3116D2, TPA3118D2, and TPA3130D2 chips are the ones that may rival the Hypex nCore amplifiers for sound quality though at a much lower cost. Many are selling their expensive amplifiers already due to the MG3 and these new chips should prove to be much better.

Where can I buy these TPA3116D2, TPA3118D2, and TPA3130D2 modules to try?

But they do not use the same chips as the new TDA ones. Well, maybe hifimediy.com will come up with modules using the new chips.

You can get the TPA3116D2EVN Evaluation Module or board from Mouser Electronics. The other 2 boards are also available from them if you are interested in the lower powered units. These chips were made available just last July and I don't know that any printed circuit boards have been designed for them yet but it would be extremely nice if someone would get the ball rolling. These new chips have great potential. Vacuum tubes could possibly become obsolete once and for all.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cervelorider was the one who recommended the 3122. He said he has had 6 other tube amps and this chip sounds as good as any of them. I think he upgrades the input caps from the stock ones offered in the kit though. One thing that tube amps do differently is that they react differently to the dynamic changes in impedance of the driver. If someone makes a chip that can mimic this behavior, I don't see why class D can't sound the same as tubes.

Cervelorider was the one who recommended the 3122. He said he has had 6 other tube amps and this chip sounds as good as any of them. I think he upgrades the input caps from the stock ones offered in the kit though. One thing that tube amps do differently is that they react differently to the dynamic changes in impedance of the driver. If someone makes a chip that can mimic this behavior, I don't see why class D can't sound the same as tubes.

I have not heard any of the Texas Instruments digital amplifiers but they are described as sounding like a very good vacuum tube amplifier without the dirty window and grain.

I don't know about 'dirty window' and 'grain', but you should hear some of the valve amps the guys around here crank out. Two in particular, a 300b PP & 211 SET, will always stand out in my mind. Neither of those terms would get a look in, particularly with the former, which was cleaner than a nunnery with a sideline in carbolic soap. Actually, it was a little too much so for some of the guys at the meet where I heard it; bordering on too sharp for their tastes. I liked it. Which I grind my teeth saying because a/ I don't like the 300b and b/ I don't much care for valve amps, as a rule.

I built my brother Ian Thompson-Bell's Improved Headphone amplifier (a SRPP tube amplifier) and it definitely improved the audio quality of his headphones when compared with his X-FI sound card. I would go as far as to say that it made his $150 headphones sound like a $600 model. For the most part, improvement has been most apparent in the bass region. Ian's headphone amplifier is a marvelous example of quality design. My theory is that the computer sound card was incapable of driving his HT-50's sufficiently.

Clearly, sufficient power is required to adequately drive speakers. It would take take much more to convince me that a tube amplifier is superior to a class A SS though. My recommendation is to first get an amplifier with enough power, then find the class of amplifier, then if you choose to go class A, pick between tube amplification and solid state amplification. You can hardly tell that my brother is using a tube amplifier because his uses a negative feedback loop to reduce distortion.

This "tube vs SS" debate has been going on for longer than some forum members have been around, and I'd be surprised if there's ever consensus on the if / how / why of which is (perceived as ) "better"

To my thinking, a "perfectly acceptable" amp (no such thing as "perfect" or "best"), is one that mostly gets out of its own way - in other words the fewest sins of omission in its efforts to present a facsimile of a musical event - particularly when considering it'll be used in conjunction with transducers likely several orders of magnitude more "flawed" . I've heard systems with combinations of tube, all solid state, and hybrids that do an admirable job of that. Some were quite affordable, others - if you need to ask ...:)

One thing about which there's probably no argument is that an efficient digital amp can be very compact and run lean, green and cool - for some applications these can be significant factors.

Last edited:
I don't know about 'dirty window' and 'grain', but you should hear some of the valve amps the guys around here crank out. Two in particular, a 300b PP & 211 SET, will always stand out in my mind. Neither of those terms would get a look in, particularly with the former, which was cleaner than a nunnery with a sideline in carbolic soap. Actually, it was a little too much so for some of the guys at the meet where I heard it; bordering on too sharp for their tastes. I liked it. Which I grind my teeth saying because a/ I don't like the 300b and b/ I don't much care for valve amps, as a rule.

Dirty window and grain is just a slight relative term when comparing 2 very good amplifiers. The people who are getting the most out of the TBI Millenia MGB on the other forum are connecting two 12 volt batteries in series in order to optimize the power supply. Converting AC to DC regardless of method used is apparently inferior in terms of sound quality with this digital amplifier. Tube amps are always run off of AC to the best of my knowledge. This disadvantage alone could account for the grain, but who knows. It is interesting that digital amplifiers are improving beyond the obsolete Tripath chips. It has been a very slow process.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Where can I buy these TPA3116D2, TPA3118D2, and TPA3130D2 modules to try?

I just ordered the bare TPA3118D2 chip and am now putting together the ancillary parts list (external caps, inductors, resistors). The specs on this family of amps is really amazing, you look at it and it is crazy how a chip the size of half a postage stamp will put out 25 watts with less than 0.1% THD and barely require a heatsink for a total parts cost of $18 (with high quality Panasonic caps). The eval board which is ready to go costs $150 if anyone is interested. The eval board has some high quality binding posts for output and power supply connection at least.

tpa3118d2evm_tpa3118d2evm_top_view.jpg

Here is spec sheet for chip: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slos708b/slos708b.pdf

Eval board: TPA3118D2 Evaluation Module - TPA3118D2EVM - TI Tool Folder

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I recently discovered how tweakable the Lepai 2020 amps are. Bypassed the tone controls and opamp, upgraded the input coupling caps. Huge improvement in sound. My PCB is the 2020B (almost all through-hole) which makes things easy(ier).

Have not tried it on my dual EL70 microTowers yet, but the difference is quite noticeable on my nanoTowers.

Will probably upgrade the output inductors and main power cap at some point.

In tube land, I am planning a few tweaks to the Shuguang I-25. Will be installing a supplementary power transformer to dedicate to the pre-amp tubes, which will give me enough juice to run some 12BH7s and give my main transformer some relief (runs pretty hot). Have ordered some Russian POI caps to replace the generic coupling caps. Considering putting a choke in it, as well.

So much fun!

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Coupling Caps Upgraded

I ordered some Russian POI caps, but I've not received them after almost 7 weeks, so I got fed up and ordered some Sprague 716P Orange drops.

They arrived today and I just finished installing them. Holy makerel they are huge!

I have heard I need to give them about 40 hours to burn in, however the amp sounds fantastic to me already. I do think the change is subtle, but in a very important way. I can't put my finger on it, but it does sound like it is more cohesive or something; more "solid" or "grounded" if that makes any sense.

Attachments

• IMG-20130311-00085.jpg
    IMG-20130311-00085.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 203
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.