Full Range Amplification - A Revelation - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 01:28 AM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
I don't like scotch either.
I good single malt (without any peatiness) is nice.

Crabbe & i did a taste test of blended scotches and the Crown Royal won

dave
Old 25th January 2013, 01:33 AM   #42
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
In reality, a tube amp reacts differently to a real speaker load than a solid state amp. It behaves more like a current source than a voltage source at some frequencies.
Maybe as a generality, but there certainly are tube amps that are voltage sources, and solid state amps that are current sources. Most tube amps, even the ones that have quite high output impedance still fall on the voltage source side of the dividing line. Remove the feedback loop on a pentode amp and it does become a current source.

What hasn't been said yet, is that (until recently) the triode is the most linear voltage amplification device made by man.

dave
Old 25th January 2013, 01:38 AM   #43
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenkin View Post
If you are used to MP3, you may have to pick your jaw up off the floor so you can drop it again when you plug a full fidelity music file through it...
In my double blind listening tests, people actually preferred MP3's over the original uncompressed files. I say, stick with mp3s.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:40 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Try listening to vanessa mae toccata and fugue
Old 25th January 2013, 01:52 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Those "spirit" generic capacitors are prime candidates for modding.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:59 AM   #46
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
Try Glen Moray 16yr
Very smooth, not much peat, yum. My current favorite.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:01 AM   #47
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
In my double blind listening tests, people actually preferred MP3's over the original uncompressed files. I say, stick with mp3s.
I suppose that some music these days is so highly compressed and has such a limited dynamic range it may not matter. But anything well recorded? Really?
Old 25th January 2013, 02:34 AM   #48
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenkin View Post
Try Glen Moray 16yr
Yes. Very good. I don't consume much alcohol, so don't buy much (usually cider for the wife). A bottle of scotch would last years, my limit is close to as little as you can put in a shot glass and still cover the bottom. I get my samples from visits to friends.

dave
Old 25th January 2013, 03:45 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will drink it if forced.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Crown, makes a dandy cocktail too.

jeff
Old 25th January 2013, 04:31 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe as a generality, but there certainly are tube amps that are voltage sources, and solid state amps that are current sources. Most tube amps, even the ones that have quite high output impedance still fall on the voltage source side of the dividing line. Remove the feedback loop on a pentode amp and it does become a current source.
You are absolutely correct. In fact my ultralinear probably acted more like a voltage amp than a current amp, since I used about 30 dB loop gain (a lot for a tube amp!) and tweaked the phase with feedforward compensation until it was stable. Nevertheless, it was distinctly more "tubey" than solid state amps and distinctly less "tubey" than any tube amp I ever heard until the mid 90s. It was quite unique for its time (not a reinvention of the wheel by any means but at the time nobody cared about tubes at all except for nerdy me ) and would certainly be considered a fancy boutique amplifier by todays standards.

It had full frequency response (power bandwith of 20 kHz @ 20 watts RMS very good for a tube amp of 37 watts RMS) , it was very dynamic, it made every single speaker that I hooked up to it sound better, it had 4/8/16 ohm outputs, it had 3 dB of voltage headroom, it had very soft clipping with no nasty artefacts at all, it was all that and a bag of chips.

Quote:
What hasn't been said yet, is that (until recently) the triode is the most linear voltage amplification device made by man.

dave
Again this is true, but the benefits of an ultralinear pentode push pull amp can't be denied. With thoughtfully applied feedback, it becomes virtually a moot point.

Hide this!Advertise here!