Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 09:06 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Yikes! I like the Haydn one:

Melissa Venema plays live Haydn - YouTube

jeff
Yikes?

Get a few glasses of scotch into you and play Nini loud.

That Haydn stuff is far too cheerful for me.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:07 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

In reality, a tube amp reacts differently to a real speaker load than a solid state amp. It behaves more like a current source than a voltage source at some frequencies. This results in a flatter frequency response with some speakers. This is part of the reason that tube amps sometimes give subjectively "better" bass response; impedance fluctuations are far more pronounced in the bass region, whether it is a 2 way 3 way etc or a "full range." A current source will give flatter frequency response with a varying impedance load than a voltage source will. I will leave it up to the reader to do the math.

By far, the "best" (subjectively) amplifier I ever built was a tube amp. It was an EL84 ultralinear that used excellent salvage transformers. I employed a solid state regulated power supply for the 12Ax7 input and phase splitter stages and for the heaters. I also employed global feedback (including output transformers) and employed feedforward compensation to compensate for phase shift. It measured 37 watts RMS/ channel both channels driven and 85 dB s/n referenced to 1 watt output, which was comparable to good solid state amps of the era (mid 70s). No buzz, hiss, or pops from this baby.

That amp could blow any solid state amp of the era with any wattage out of the room. It could drive any speaker of any efficiency with authority. It really rocked. But I did too good of a job because it got stolen. I would give my left you-know-what to have it back.

Last edited by Fast Eddie D; 24th January 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:09 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Tine is pretty good, too. Tine Thing Helseth Exclusive Live Performance for C Music TV - YouTube
Old 24th January 2013, 09:11 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Get a few glasses of scotch into you and play Nini loud.
I don't like scotch either.

jeff
Old 24th January 2013, 09:12 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
In reality, a tube amp reacts differently to a real speaker load than a solid state amp. It behaves more like a current source than a voltage source at some frequencies. This results in a flatter frequency response with some speakers. This is part of the reason that tube amps sometimes give subjectively "better" bass response; impedance fluctuations are far more pronounced in the bass region, whether it is a 2 way 3 way etc or a "full range." A current source will give flatter frequency response with a varying impedance load than a voltage source will. I will leave it up to the reader to do the math.

By far, the "best" (subjectively) amplifier I ever built was a tube amp. It was an EL84 ultralinear that used excellent salvage transformers. I employed a solid state power regulated power supply for the 12Ax7 input and phase splitter stages and for the heaters. I also employed global feedback (including output transformers) and employed feedforward compensation to compensate for phase shift. It measured 37 watts RMS/ channel both channels driven and 85 dB s/n referenced to 1 watt output, which was comparable to good solid state amps of the era (mid 70s). No buzz, hiss, or pops from this baby.

That amp could blow any solid state amp of the era with any wattage out of the room. It could drive any speaker of any efficiency with authority. It really rocked. But I did too good of a job because it got stolen. I would give my left you-know-what to have it back.
Build it again?
Old 24th January 2013, 09:13 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
I don't like scotch either.

jeff
Pick your poison.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:27 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Build it again?
Some day I will. The transformers alone would cost as much or more than many tube amp kits. I would consider myself lucky to find salvage transformers of the same caliber for any reasonable price, if I could find them at all.

And the amplifier holds sentimental value for me. Although it was stolen in the early 80s I have never forgotten it. It was the first "real amp" I built. I was in high school at the time. It was not a kit; it was built from $15 worth of salvage parts, rat shack and Allied Electronic parts, and a case fabbed up for me by a machinist friend of my dad's. If I saw it at a flea market or in somebody's system, I would buy it back in a heartbeat if I didn't drop dead from excitement first.

And I have several other solid state/ chipamp designs that I am working on too.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:48 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

The parts alone to build that Shuguang I-25 would cost well over $1K. I built a similar amp myself and don't even want to know how much money went into it (or money's worth of time). But it makes me feel good every day for many years, so is perhaps money well spent.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:40 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
...But it makes me feel good every day for many years, so is perhaps money well spent.
Indeed, and you have the satisfaction of a job well done.

Some day I will build one. Maybe in retirement, when my possible death won't matter quite so much.

In the meantime I will enjoy this one; do some tube rolling and maybe consider re-capping it eventually, just to cut my teeth in electronics.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:10 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Listening to Gilmour, Live in Gdansk. 48kHz FLAC, ripped from DVD.

Un-freakin'-believable.

Hide this!Advertise here!