FE208EZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LABYRINTH - Platinum

As I'm not a woodworker I would not hazard trying to build even a simple loudspeaker cabinet yet alone a complex one. However, I am capable of putting together a kit.

Has anyone any experience of the Fostex FE208EZ ?

I'm tempted to try a full range driver to see how no crossover affects the general sound of a loudspeaker. The FE208EZ however only extends to 20kHz. Would this too benefit from a tweeter and a dreaded crossover ?

Do bear in mind that I currently have a pair of B&W 683's which are already impressive.

I need something that will be capable of handling my 100W amp.

I could up to about 2 years back, but I've dropped off since then to about 19KHz. That's not going to last much longer either I suspect, since I'm 34 & extremely lucky for it to have lasted as long as that.

Anyway, the FE208ESigma is about done by 12KHz; no bad thing since Fostex concentrated on getting the low end & midband right, leaving the HF to be covered by something better adapted for the purpose. The T90a is the minimum needed to do justice to it.

The 'labyrinth' as Wilmslow call it, or as everybody else in the known universe refers to it the 'factory back loaded horn' is one of Fostex's better enclosure efforts, although MDF is not what you want for it. A good ply is essential. Wilmslow can supply that, or you can make it yourself since the plans are freely available. It's not the best box design out there, but it's a solid one & a decent performer. If you don't want to use a supertweeter to fill in the HF, the FE206En will work fine in that enclosure. Note however there is still an XO there: it's just that it's a mechanical one, not electrical.

They won't sound like B&Ws, that's for certain. As for 'capable of handling your 100w amp', that is entirely dependent upon how far you turn the volume knob. They don't require anything like that. About 3w is all that is needed since they're about 98dB 1m/w. They were designed largely for SET amps & class A designs, so unless your 100w job is something from Pass Labs, McIntosh, Accuphase or similar, they're not going to sound great. System matching is key. You can use high resistance wiring to improve the impedance match (i.e. provide the speakers with something akin to what they were designed for) though, so this isn't an instant turn-off.

It seems to me that the Labyrinth is the Fostex designed cabinet for the 206E.
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE206En.pdf

Good grief, you're right. The baboons look like they're selling the 206 factory horn with the 208Esigma.

Even the T90A is £180 (each)

Yes. You get what you pay for. The drivers in your B&Ws for example will have cost about $3 to make; were they sold separately on the DIY market, they'd likely be in the $30 - $50 price bracket. The FE208ESigma sells for about $215 and will cost Fostex about $30 to make. Economies of scale, production tolerances and cost of materials.

I'm ending for a high-end design not a budget one.

You've lost me. How do you expect to have a high end design (irrespective of type) without spending money on it? Quality unfortunately costs. You can make something very good for a modest sum, but if you want high-end, it never comes cheap, whether you buy commercially or build it yourself. The latter might cost less, since you're not shelling out for labour etc., but that doesn't mean 'cheap.'

My B&Ws are rotting unused in the basement. Not that there's anything wrong with them. I just prefer listening to my homemade creations.

I would not use Fostex full range drivers with 100 watt amplifiers.

Maybe I'm wrong but I consider my cheap digital amp + backloaded horns (with fostex drivers) hi-end enough for me. No one can tell me otherwise. I also have beautiful Cary tube amplification that sounds similarly good. When the system, room and source all work well together the sum of their parts are magnified resulting in wonderful sounding music that can transport you to the performance... with goosebumps.

Zilla

Methinks it depends on exactly what is wanted from your speakers.

For example, while listening levels are fairly sane, I'd expect the Fostex units to sound considerably better than the B&Ws. Once pushed with loud, complex music, I'd expect the B&Ws to sound better: I'm yet to hear a paper coned full-range driver that doesn't suffer from severe cone break-up (giving a screechy sound) when pushed past its limit.

It took me a while, but I figured that, while FR drivers can be very good, they have limits to what they can do well. Its my opinion that a stereo out to be able to turn its hand to any music, with adequate volume capability. To that end, I'm beginning to look toward multiway designs.

Chris

PS - where abouts in the UK are you? (PM me if you prefer).

I think a concern might be that the 208EZ has 98db sensitivity and an xmax under 2mm. It is a great driver, but a 100W amp may be a bit overpowering.

I have this driver in a BIB (large) paired with a Fountek ribbon crossed with a single capacitor at about 10KHZ. It sounds great, but I suspect I could use a lesser tweeter and be fine. It definitely needs the tweeter, but in the BIB it does NOT need any bass support. It is tall enough for some ceiling loading and goes to about 35Hz.

It is too big for my space, so I will find out if it works with a friends 100W SS amp soon...I am nervous and was wondering if anyone knew of another 8" driver that would have lower sensitivity but work in the same BIB in case it doesn't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.