Listening room and Fostex questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Fitz is offline Fitz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Listening room and Fostex questions

Hello. I am looking at either purchasing Madisounds BK-16 or BK-12 kit. I am wondering, is the BK-16 too large for my listening area ? I have attached a crude drawing to show the rough dimensions of where the speakers have to be located and the location of the sitting position. I have read some really good reviews of the Fostex F120A in a ported enclosure so I am strongly considering this as well.

I know this room is not great, but its all I have to work with. I listen at low volumes less than 90db and mostly to small combo jazz. Power will come from a small 4wpc tube amp. Thank you for your assistance.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

How big is the room?

Despite similar nomenclature (the m on the end of the BL12m is signficant), the BK12m is a modern design using modern design tools specifically for the FE126En, BK16 is from the late 90s.

dave
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave. My mistake, I didn't notice the "m" on the cabinet kit. The room is roughly 12' x 14'.
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Hello Dave. My mistake, I didn't notice the "m" on the cabinet kit.
A distinction easily missed. And one of the design briefs was to make the BK12, fir in with the rest (there are untested BK16m & BK20m)

Quote:
The room is roughly 12' x 14'.
Small. I'd go with the smaller speaker -- but then i think the sweet spot is 4-5", i;d pick them for a larger room too

dave
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Dave. Any thoughts on the F120A ?
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Thanks for the info Dave. Any thoughts on the F120A ?
Wonderful driver, but certainly not inexpensive. With the room and listening position indicated, high sensitivity drivers and big-a$$ enclosures are probably not essential.

The new little BK12M was specifically designed as a compact option for the FE126EN when larger or rear mouth designs aren't practical.

I've heard both drivers, and at approx 5 times difference in cost, it'd be hard to highly recommend the F120A for anyone not already enamored of them. Even the lower cost FX120 is still 2.5x the cost of the FE126EN, and would definitely need to be heard to be appreciated.

If your question parses out to -"which Fostex driver would you recommend for this particular situation?", in addition to the FE126EN, IMO, the recently revamped FF series has a lot to offer at few moderate prices, particularly the 85 and 105 for smaller rooms.

Then there's the Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 - don't let the nominally lower sensitivity dissuade you from consideration of this wonderful driver.
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Bigger is better IMO... tho your room would work well with the smaller option too. Living with larger speakers makes it difficult to go back. That room can be lit up and bristling with sound from the 8" drivers effortlessly. At the low volumes you listen the smaller option will work too but you are more likely to seek bass support (powered sub) with the smaller option. It's a win win here. Let us know which way you go.

Zilla
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

A friend and I just built the BK12m. I think you will be VERY happy with them.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

RE: F120A

I built a pair of Metronomes with F120A. I was about to write them off as seriously mediocre until MJK brought over a tube amp he had found disappointing. I had been using a direct coupled topology SS receiver to drive them. Switching to tubes was like night & day. With tubes, the F120A is a VERY nice driver.--and the tube amp which had performed so poorly on Martin's speakers sounded fabulous on the Mets. But I still think the F120A aren't worth the price. Just my opinion.

Cheers, Jim
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:05 PM   #10
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

NO question about the sonic merits of the F120A, particularly when used in conjunction with a nice tube amp ( a DHT would be my first choice) but at $250 each, + shipping, taxes, etc, they could well be considered outside some folks' comfort level

Says the guy who just took delivery of a pair of Alpair 7 MAOPs in the middle of typing this post

now I just have to figure out what to do with them - besides not break them

Last edited by chrisb; 23rd January 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!