Anyone interested in helping with a bookshelf and floor stander using E100HD? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Anyone interested in helping with a bookshelf and floor stander using E100HD?

If anyone feels like joining me to help develop two designs I have kicking about in my head using the E100HD and Scanspeak D2008/851100 Tweeter please speak up!

Any interest and I'll post my initial scribbles here as images and PDF files out from Sketchup.

I'm looking for support with crossover design and measurements as I have neither of these resources available to me!
Old 5th February 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
AnKoe is offline AnKoe  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default E100HD in a closed box

Your project sounds interesting. I am currently experimenting with the E 100HD in a small closed box. Next weekend I will perform first measurements. Later I will add a tweeter, with the option to switch between broadband and two-way mode. We can share our experience with the driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehaeuse1.jpg (30.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 5th February 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just had a look at that tweeters spec sheet out of curiosity. Says Fs is at 650hz but the impedance plot shows it at 875hz.
Old 10th February 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default first measurements

This weekend I have performed first measurements.
Driver in Box:
e100hd_in_box.jpg

Driver in Box after equalisation:
e100hd_nf_bs_in_box.jpg

Circuit used for equalisation:
eq.jpg

The outer dimensions of the box are 19 cm x 30 cm x 21.8 cm. The driver was sitting in the mittle of the baffle.
Old 19th February 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What tweeter did you decide to use? Many use Jim Griffin / Aurum Cantus ribbon.

I know someone has used the Vifa 19TD.

I'd like to try with the Scan Speak D2008/851100.
Old 19th February 2013, 04:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have E100HD and will be measuring it in a couple of days.
Don't have that tweeter tho.
What software are you planing on using to design the crossover. I imagine, you'll need phase and impedance of the driver in the enclouser. TS too.
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

TS were of the measured driver were very close to stated. FS was 3hz higher which is really no big deal.
Break up is dampened pretty well, and it's certainly a good midwoofer to run high up to bridge with the ribbon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E100HD absolute spl copy.jpg (147.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg E100HD dist at 2 copy.jpg (114.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg e100hd fr and dist arta 2v copy.jpg (101.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg e100hd csd copy.jpg (229.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It's a really nice driver. I'm running with a BSC at the moment and think it could probably be OK without.

Not sure the added complexity combining a tweeter would be worth the benefit but I'm keen to know..
Old 24th February 2013, 09:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wow, very impressive measurements. Could you provide me the raw data? What distance between microphone and driver did you use? what was the baffle geometry? Did you measure indoor or outdoor?

I have spent a lot of time during the last two weeks listening to the speakers. Close up (distance 1m) they produce an extremely realistic soundstage. When I increase the listening distance the reflected sound from the walls (medium size living room 30m) becomes more important. In this configuration I have the impression that a tweeter is definitly neccessary. Until now I have no clear preference which tweeter to use. Many people like ribbon tweeters, but they are very hard to model...
Old 24th February 2013, 02:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnKoe View Post
Wow, very impressive measurements. Could you provide me the raw data? What distance between microphone and driver did you use? what was the baffle geometry? Did you measure indoor or outdoor?

I have spent a lot of time during the last two weeks listening to the speakers. Close up (distance 1m) they produce an extremely realistic soundstage. When I increase the listening distance the reflected sound from the walls (medium size living room 30m) becomes more important. In this configuration I have the impression that a tweeter is definitly neccessary. Until now I have no clear preference which tweeter to use. Many people like ribbon tweeters, but they are very hard to model...
I didn't save the files as FRD or SE. Only measured E100HD to see how different it is from original JX92.
But the conditions are:
Driver measured free air on a 5'x10' baffle. Near field response is taken with 500msc gating, 262144 sequence length at 1cm.
Far field at 1m 7msc gating, 65535 length, spl adjusted for gain.
Response merged at 600hz.
Distortions are taken at .5m 2.9v input signal.
Are you familiar with Jeff Bagby's PCD?
Which part of ribbon tweeter response modeling do you find harder then let's say a dome tweeter?

Last edited by R-Carpenter; 24th February 2013 at 02:06 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!