Hello please bare with I'm new to this. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 11:41 PM   #41
jparker is offline jparker  United States
diyAudio Member

I could put the center channel under the TV and the "mains" above the couch then the surrounds in side walls close to the ceiling. 2 subs in front. So people would only at first see 4 little speakers and 2 big subs and think "wow Jimmy that's it"! I could use higher spl drivers since I want it a "little" loud.
Old 24th January 2013, 12:44 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

after read tuxedocicic's replies i have to rethink. do something else. don't want just throw speaker everywhere. anyone can do that.
Old 24th January 2013, 12:53 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

This might be a late reply but how big is your room and how loud do you listen to movies?
Old 24th January 2013, 01:15 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

I'm at work so can't reply too much. My kitchen joins my living room. It's 24 feet to my frigde and 11 feet from side wall to side wall. The wall that the 50 inch orr 60 is going on is about 8.5. I'm in the process of remodeling so I can pretty much do want I want. It is a trialer house that I have. I listen to movies and music farly loud. I have all the batman movies and have blu r ray in my computer which I use for everything. I'll buy some full ranges fostexs and experiment with my income tax fe207ens first since mids are important too then I'll know for sure what I can and cannot do. Don't want just throw speakers everywhere but if I could hide them that would be cool to save space. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me. I'm not going to be an idiot about this. Just thinking a little out of the box of normal.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:30 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

I'm looking for good mids and highs back up by 2 200 or 300 or so watt subs. 11opas has in his system. Someone suggested wall mounting to save space and so I got some ideas with using a little cardboard in the drop ceiling I'm going to have so weight won't be factor. Just trying to think of a little different placement that might reap benefits that maybe no one has thought about.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:42 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

I saw a you tube video where a young man took two 3 dollar woofers that looked like the ones in the rear deck of a 60 model car and and small fullrange. made open baffles for the woofers out of cardboard and put the fullranges on sticks. Didn't sound like 400 dollar Klipsch but sounded better than my VE-5 CVs I have now. I was surpised at what they did sound like for maybe what 20 dollars.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:51 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

They seemed to sound more "live" than anything else I have heard. Yes I have heard about distortion but they sounded like the person was right there in the room singing and that was through mine. Must say I was shocked.
Old 24th January 2013, 02:00 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Sometimes being simply stupid is being simply genius. Dr. Klipsch I once read said keep it simple stupid. I have heard Klipschhorns and a Heresy and was impressed.
Old 24th January 2013, 02:38 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Back in 1980s I had one of the first yamaha cd players. borrowed 3000 from a loan company and got the cd player 750 realstic mach ones and a yamaha 350 stereo receiver. Man the good times. Me and a roommate got throwed out of our appartment on Memorial Day weekend because you could here 4 blocks down the road at Furr's grocerory store lol. If I would have had a 500 watt sub I would have been put in jail. Good memroies we still talk about that laugh. I have heard ARs,Sansui and a host of others. Man the good days of Made in the USA. But now we these little 100 watt toys to play with.
Old 24th January 2013, 02:41 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

I should first say I have not done a FR HT so I can't comment via direct experience. Also this the FR forum so only one quick comment.

It seems like you like to listen to Movies and Music at louder levels that *might* overload the FR units under extended listening periods. If it was my HT I might go the Pro Audio route, Compression driver with horn and high efficiency woofers and not worry about cranking it too loud as to damage my FR. You'll get SPL and dynamics for movies.

I would then get a pair of nice FR for those occasions I like to sit back and enjoy. I'm in the process of breaking in some Alpair 12p FR units. I really like what I hear so far. Either way you go, sounds like your room will sound great.

Last edited by mikealanlee; 24th January 2013 at 03:00 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!