Hello please bare with I'm new to this. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 04:50 PM   #31
jparker is offline jparker  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok there is 2 pictured one that is 105/8 driver in center and one that is 107/8 driver off set so I guess either one of those. Both have a section of wood in the middle that has holes. The other one that looks like a center has no measurements. I will buy plans if they don't cost too much and like I said earlier I will be donating just waiting to print out w-2 at my job so I can file. About the money I have heard that I my have to want until the 1st to file due to the fiscal cliff and the government have to adjust income tax some way. So bear with me on the time frame please. I'm really going to take a leap and try this. I'll post pics when I'm done. Also about the drivers I'm buying. I ask earlier if the drivers are very delicate. the reason I ask is I read the specs about break in and it says in bold letters don't touch the cone. Not that I want to but I get a little tipsy because,being honest with you,I drink beer once in a while,what is the chance of damaging the cone? If I turn it up too much. I'm spending a lot of money. Want to be prepared before hand.

Last edited by jparker; 23rd January 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:00 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

If this is a big cash outlay for you, then do a lot of research. For most of us, we experiement. I'll build 10 speakers before I want to actually put a finish on it and live with it. For you, it sounds like what you build you're going to keep. Make sure you're making the right choice cause there's no sense in rushing this sort of thing.
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:01 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

BTW, here's the in-wall build I was talking about in my other post: An in-wall FAST that really rocks
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:13 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default Thank You

Thank you sir. I saw the frugel horn thread and there was a gentleman on there who used foam board I believe. I'll get some saws and that and practice cutting holes then go to the wood. I also have a friend helping me remodel my house. Don't if you have been keeping up in the background. He said he would help me and teach me a few things. I got into computer building the same way. I wanted to do it as a hobby but paying someone else to work on it was expensive so I got on the internet and taught myself. Been working and building my own since 1998. So I'll do the same here. I'm a stubborn person and when I really want something I figure out how to get or do it. But legally lol. I'll look at the link as soon as I can. I work nights so I got to sleep. It's 12:11 here got to be there at 8 I get off at 4:30 am. Thanks for everything you guys.
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:17 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I can also use that and get the sound I want. Tune it. I'm paying attention.
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:12 PM   #36
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Ryan,

Did you measure your average SPL while watcing Dark Knight rises? Sorry if I've misundrstood your post, but even at 300 Hz you felt it unsafe for the FR units?
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:22 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

No, I was more worried about the woofers. The FR units have been protected very well with a LR4 at 300hz high pass.

I didn't measure the SPL. Hmm, if I had to guess. The woofer amps were probably peaking around 50 watts. SPL at the seats around 100db peaks. I was pretty near reference levels. 100db peaks would make sense. Higher than I normally listen that's for sure. But would have had unlistenable distortion with a 4" full ranger.

No idea what the average would have been. There isn't to much rest in the soundfield on that movie. Maybe 75db. Total guess.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:06 PM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker View Post
I saw the frugel horn thread and there was a gentleman on there who used foam board I believe.
Note that the foam board build is NOT a Frugel-Horn, just pays homage to it.

dave
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:59 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Card board

I work in Food Service and I can get my hands on countless cases that cereal comes in. Those cases that hold throw away cereal bowels that hospitals use. Anyway would card board be better? I could reenforce with edges with duct tape and use as much cardboard as needed. Fix up a template that way. Also since I'm going to have a dropped ceiling how would using cardboard and making enclosure hid inside the ceiling sound stuffed with poly fill as needed. I could adjust size cheaply. If I could do that then I could hide all of them. People sure would look funny trying to find them.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:12 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

I have diagrams already on how to wire drivers in parallel then series to get the desired ohms so that much I already know. My living room joins my kitchen so I could put as many drivers as I want. Don't want to be obnoxious with the amount. Of course being a Texan that is going to be hard.

Hide this!Advertise here!