Hello please bare with I'm new to this. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2013, 03:58 PM   #21
jparker is offline jparker  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh cogitech the wall I'm using is about 8.5 feet long if that helps. I could have a wall of speakers around the TV lol.
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:12 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I got a diagram off a site that shows how to wire speakers in parallel then series to still come up with 8 ohms so I know how to wire the speakers in sets. Budget and space the only limits I guess.
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:24 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker View Post
In- wall would not take up that much room either because no cabinets. What kind,if any,fill do I use? I'm glad you suggested that. That would make things much easier and I could have more money for the subs and better quality as will. I'll try to send a picture later of the wall I'm using. Have to learn how to upload have never done it. I have been ignored at other sites when asking questions so I just have been reading and looking over the past year to learn. Just fyi to the moderators I will donate to the site for helping me. I'll have to wait for income tax. You guys have helped me a lot in a short period of time that's the least I could do. Don't have a lot of money but I appreciate the time and effort ya'll have done to reply. Man finally got to a place where I can get some good ideas and talk. Thanks again.
I actually have no experience building in-wall, but I have read several threads around here about it. Look for "tuxedocivic's" thread regarding his in-wall system. He and others around here seem to know quite a lot about in-wall. Eventually others will chime in on this thread...
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:29 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I have seen open baffle designs on the net too. How would 4 7.3s or 10.2 sound? Covering the baffle with formica to go with the color of the wall and connecting the baffle to the wall using wooden dowel rods stained or painted. I want it to look nice as will as unique. Hang 4 on each side of the TV and 4 at the bottom then have 2 subs one on the left and one on the right. 4 being the fact that wired right they would be 8 ohm load for the receiver. It can got to 4 ohms but why push it. Then I could put the surrounds in sealed cabinets at the ceiling on brackets.

Last edited by jparker; 22nd January 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:11 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Pensil

Think I'm going with the pensil 7.3. Is there a specific center cabinet and surround cabinet that I need to use with that one? Also if using sealed cabinets for center and surround what general size if any do they have to be? I should be getting my w-2 on the 25th or 26th so I'm going to start buying some of the speakers. Also I have read the documents on the Alpairs. They sound like they are a delicate driver. Are they? Playing movies is loud. Before I spend 500 I would like some advice on volume so I can be prepared or change drivers or speakers even if I have to. Thank you.
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:46 PM   #26
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

jparker,

An idea - you can take the CGR-Ken 7.3 and mount the driver on one of the side panels instead of the front baffle; then use it sideways. Not sure, Dave might have a special plan for the center in his paid planset.

Pensil's are good choice for fronts.

You are crossing to a sub right? As long as you cross high enough (folks with experience can comment here), it should be fine.
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:59 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Not sure, Dave might have a special plan for the center in his paid planset.
CGR is one option, as i think i mentioned before, i did (ir should have) released one of the centres for free use in conjunction with the FH3.

Sealed A7.3 needs about 5 litres and IIRC hits just below 100 Hz.

dave
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:12 PM   #28
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
CGR is one option, as i think i mentioned before, i did (ir should have) released one of the centres for free use in conjunction with the FH3.

dave
My bad Dave, which site or rather which plans are they under?
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:31 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

they will be on FH.com when i get around to it, ATM i suspect one needs to wade thru the FH3 thread.

dave
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:42 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks for thinking of me Cogitech

Ya I've done an in-wall build. A couple actually. I'm really impressed. The advantages of doing an in-wall build are significant. If you want some advice about it I can help I think. And if this is for movie watching mostly, then I'd definitely suggest trying what I did. I used this guy: Tang Band W3-881SI 3" Speaker 299-113

With an 8" woofer crossed at 300hz. Then crossed at 90hz to subwoofers. The dynamics in movies is really good. I've tried using my EL70's for movies, and it just doesn't cut it. And I love the EL70s. So I suspect the alp7 and others would have a hard time as well. Especially if you like movies like the Dark Knight Rises! Just watched that last weekend. Had the volume at -15 on my Yamaha receiver. So likely somewhat comparable. The dynamic peaks in the movie are mind bending. At -15db there were moments I feared for my 8" woofers. Even crossed to subs I think there were a could big bursts of ~100hz content that really pushed the limits.

Hide this!Advertise here!