Hello please bare with I'm new to this. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2013, 06:36 AM   #11
jparker is offline jparker  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes I have the STX that came with headphones.I got it from a friend without the headphones for 50 dollars. I don't think he knew what he was getting rid of. I tired to talk him out of selling it, him being my friend, but he did not want it so I bought it. Been glad ever since. As far as height they can touch the ceiling if that what it takes. I have not got the drop ceiling in yet so I can just move it up. Like I say I'm remodeling my house which embarrassingly is a trailer house but I don't make much money and it's paid for. I can some what build to accommodate the speakers. That's why I'm picking and choosing now so I'll know what I have to do to get where I want to be. If I need to change a wall I can since I'm re-paneling as will so I'm planning everything so everything can work together. I think that is the smart thing to do. I have 3.5 years then I retire. I won't retire with the same money I'm making so I want to do everything that needs to be done and I want to before I do. I work for the State of Texas so retirement amount is what it is.
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:50 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I going to add as a side note that I'm glad that people from different backgrounds and countries can come together and talk. I appreciate that very much. I have been to a few places to ask advice and they were rude or I never got a response so I'm glad that I got some advice. I was shocked that I got responses as fast as I did. Lol. We all live and breath the same. We need to come together and get along. Thanks again.
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:16 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Maybe Dave can suggest if the same center will work for the Alpair 7.3?
Same size, different tuning. For any of the usual candidates for the FH3 there is a centre pulled from the miniOnken plansets for use with them. You might have to look in the FH3 thread for links.

dave
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dave. I'm looking all over the site lol. Man so many cool designs it's amazing some of them. I'm trying to take it all in. I look wherever I'm pointed. I started reading about full ranges a while back and seen all the different designs of cabinets I knew something had to work with HT. Especially since receivers are only 100 to 120 watts anyway you know? And efficiency is almost a must because I burned up a Techniques receiver in 2000 because I had I set of old CV VS-100s and L-7 center and L-7 2-ways for surround. Man I had it cranked. Anyway the receiver got too hot because the CVs were not working hard and fired the board. Hind sight is better than fore sight. So I learn that efficiency is important to a degree. That and I'm older and wiser. I usually work nights but it is a holiday here,MLK's birthday so I'm off. Most of the time I'll be on on the weekends. I sleep during the day so if someone post and I don't get back right away that's why. Don't want to be rude.
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:30 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I got a stupid question,what is FH3? I was looking but can't find it.
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I found it. Did google search "diy audio fh3 and got it.
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:01 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

So you will know I'm paying attention a FH3 is a Frugal Horn. 3 being third gen. It looks more complicated than a Pensil so I was thinking I could build Pensils now then sell them later and Build FH3s when I know how to work with wood more. That being said how would a sealed cabinet work with the Pensils and would it be fine for use with the FH3? All running the same speaker of course. I know that from reading as much as I have. Really all drivers need to be the same. Also would 3 Pensils across the front and sealed or bass reflex as surrounds work? I'm going to be using a sub also. 15 inch 300 or so watts and the same spl. Don't want to over power the other speakers with too much bass. It's going to be ported. I'm going to start buying the Alpairs with my income tax. Would the 10.2s be too big? Would they cut the highs too much? Thank you for your help. You guys build some great stuff. Ya'll have my respect and admiration.
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you are remodelling to the extent you said, you could consider doing in-wall front left, right and centre. Normally this would be done in drywall, which is pretty sound-neutral. Not sure how thick your panelling is, but it could always be reinforced on that wall. Maybe drywall, then panelling.

Something to consider, anyway. Many people around here would jump at the chance to do in-wall. Would be cheaper, and would potentially provide the best sound possible, if implemented correctly.

Last edited by cogitech; 22nd January 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 22nd January 2013, 03:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Wow! Did not think of that. Actually did not think it would sound good if I did. I was planning on using Cinnamon Beech MDF paneling. But if I can go another route and use something else that's ok too. So many things to consider. So I could put 2 drivers on each side of the TV for the mains and 2 at the bottom for the center to keep the ohms the same build 2 driver surrounds. 4 ohm loads on each. Now I'm wondering would it be too much to use a 8 inch sub at the front to boost the mid bass and a 12 inch behind the couch to boost the lows. My room measurements I posted earlier. Room is 11 feet wide and 24 feet deep to the fridge in the kitchen. I am going to have a small wet bar in the middle but still it will be open. I like loud. I live 25 miles out of town so people out here are pretty cool. Neighbors listen to the same music I do. I do like to drink beer and crank the tunes lol. Yeah Texan go figure lol. See only my budget is stopping me. I could have an outside theater if I wanted too on my screened-in-porch when I get it built. 2o'clock in the morning might cause a problem though. I just want to keep the philosophy "keep it simple stupid" as far as crossovers and the like. That philosophy as served me will over the 50 years. I just have to be careful of thieves.
Old 22nd January 2013, 03:52 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

In- wall would not take up that much room either because no cabinets. What kind,if any,fill do I use? I'm glad you suggested that. That would make things much easier and I could have more money for the subs and better quality as will. I'll try to send a picture later of the wall I'm using. Have to learn how to upload have never done it. I have been ignored at other sites when asking questions so I just have been reading and looking over the past year to learn. Just fyi to the moderators I will donate to the site for helping me. I'll have to wait for income tax. You guys have helped me a lot in a short period of time that's the least I could do. Don't have a lot of money but I appreciate the time and effort ya'll have done to reply. Man finally got to a place where I can get some good ideas and talk. Thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!