Hello please bare with I'm new to this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
In- wall would not take up that much room either because no cabinets. What kind,if any,fill do I use? I'm glad you suggested that. That would make things much easier and I could have more money for the subs and better quality as will. I'll try to send a picture later of the wall I'm using. Have to learn how to upload have never done it. I have been ignored at other sites when asking questions so I just have been reading and looking over the past year to learn. Just fyi to the moderators I will donate to the site for helping me. I'll have to wait for income tax. You guys have helped me a lot in a short period of time that's the least I could do. Don't have a lot of money but I appreciate the time and effort ya'll have done to reply. Man finally got to a place where I can get some good ideas and talk. Thanks again.

I actually have no experience building in-wall, but I have read several threads around here about it. Look for "tuxedocivic's" thread regarding his in-wall system. He and others around here seem to know quite a lot about in-wall. Eventually others will chime in on this thread...

I have seen open baffle designs on the net too. How would 4 7.3s or 10.2 sound? Covering the baffle with formica to go with the color of the wall and connecting the baffle to the wall using wooden dowel rods stained or painted. I want it to look nice as will as unique. Hang 4 on each side of the TV and 4 at the bottom then have 2 subs one on the left and one on the right. 4 being the fact that wired right they would be 8 ohm load for the receiver. It can got to 4 ohms but why push it. Then I could put the surrounds in sealed cabinets at the ceiling on brackets.

Last edited:
Pensil

Think I'm going with the pensil 7.3. Is there a specific center cabinet and surround cabinet that I need to use with that one? Also if using sealed cabinets for center and surround what general size if any do they have to be? I should be getting my w-2 on the 25th or 26th so I'm going to start buying some of the speakers. Also I have read the documents on the Alpairs. They sound like they are a delicate driver. Are they? Playing movies is loud. Before I spend 500 I would like some advice on volume so I can be prepared or change drivers or speakers even if I have to. Thank you.

jparker,

An idea - you can take the CGR-Ken 7.3 and mount the driver on one of the side panels instead of the front baffle; then use it sideways. Not sure, Dave might have a special plan for the center in his paid planset.

Pensil's are good choice for fronts.

You are crossing to a sub right? As long as you cross high enough (folks with experience can comment here), it should be fine.

Hey thanks for thinking of me Cogitech :D

Ya I've done an in-wall build. A couple actually. I'm really impressed. The advantages of doing an in-wall build are significant. If you want some advice about it I can help I think. And if this is for movie watching mostly, then I'd definitely suggest trying what I did. I used this guy: Tang Band W3-881SI 3" Speaker 299-113

With an 8" woofer crossed at 300hz. Then crossed at 90hz to subwoofers. The dynamics in movies is really good. I've tried using my EL70's for movies, and it just doesn't cut it. And I love the EL70s. So I suspect the alp7 and others would have a hard time as well. Especially if you like movies like the Dark Knight Rises! Just watched that last weekend. Had the volume at -15 on my Yamaha receiver. So likely somewhat comparable. The dynamic peaks in the movie are mind bending. At -15db there were moments I feared for my 8" woofers. Even crossed to subs I think there were a could big bursts of ~100hz content that really pushed the limits.

Ok there is 2 pictured one that is 105/8 driver in center and one that is 107/8 driver off set so I guess either one of those. Both have a section of wood in the middle that has holes. The other one that looks like a center has no measurements. I will buy plans if they don't cost too much and like I said earlier I will be donating just waiting to print out w-2 at my job so I can file. About the money I have heard that I my have to want until the 1st to file due to the fiscal cliff and the government have to adjust income tax some way. So bear with me on the time frame please. I'm really going to take a leap and try this. I'll post pics when I'm done. Also about the drivers I'm buying. I ask earlier if the drivers are very delicate. the reason I ask is I read the specs about break in and it says in bold letters don't touch the cone. Not that I want to but I get a little tipsy because,being honest with you,I drink beer once in a while,what is the chance of damaging the cone? If I turn it up too much. I'm spending a lot of money. Want to be prepared before hand.

Last edited:
If this is a big cash outlay for you, then do a lot of research. For most of us, we experiement. I'll build 10 speakers before I want to actually put a finish on it and live with it. For you, it sounds like what you build you're going to keep. Make sure you're making the right choice cause there's no sense in rushing this sort of thing.

Thank You

Thank you sir. I saw the frugel horn thread and there was a gentleman on there who used foam board I believe. I'll get some saws and that and practice cutting holes then go to the wood. I also have a friend helping me remodel my house. Don't if you have been keeping up in the background. He said he would help me and teach me a few things. I got into computer building the same way. I wanted to do it as a hobby but paying someone else to work on it was expensive so I got on the internet and taught myself. Been working and building my own since 1998. So I'll do the same here. I'm a stubborn person and when I really want something I figure out how to get or do it. But legally lol. I'll look at the link as soon as I can. I work nights so I got to sleep. It's 12:11 here got to be there at 8 I get off at 4:30 am. Thanks for everything you guys.

No, I was more worried about the woofers. The FR units have been protected very well with a LR4 at 300hz high pass.

I didn't measure the SPL. Hmm, if I had to guess. The woofer amps were probably peaking around 50 watts. SPL at the seats around 100db peaks. I was pretty near reference levels. 100db peaks would make sense. Higher than I normally listen that's for sure. But would have had unlistenable distortion with a 4" full ranger.

No idea what the average would have been. There isn't to much rest in the soundfield on that movie. Maybe 75db. Total guess.

Card board

I work in Food Service and I can get my hands on countless cases that cereal comes in. Those cases that hold throw away cereal bowels that hospitals use. Anyway would card board be better? I could reenforce with edges with duct tape and use as much cardboard as needed. Fix up a template that way. Also since I'm going to have a dropped ceiling how would using cardboard and making enclosure hid inside the ceiling sound stuffed with poly fill as needed. I could adjust size cheaply. If I could do that then I could hide all of them. People sure would look funny trying to find them.:eek::scratch:

I have diagrams already on how to wire drivers in parallel then series to get the desired ohms so that much I already know. My living room joins my kitchen so I could put as many drivers as I want. Don't want to be obnoxious with the amount. Of course being a Texan that is going to be hard.:D:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.