subwoofer augmentation for alpair 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
after understanding the relation of 'emmittance' and cone size, one possible solution thats popping up is to go for smaller subs(say 6") in an array(say 4 per side). as per my knowledge, this could effectively have acceptable higher SPLs at lowbass range,total air volume moved and still maintain that dynamics. if i am not wrong, may not need huge power also and could get away with max. power supported by the drivers(say 200W max). need to look at other issues such arrays would pose though. anybody tried this?
here we go!
Pair of EVO Active Bass Modules (ABM's) Including Cabinet Linking Cables

anyone have experience with this?

After listening to a pair of Alpair 10.2s in Pencils in nearfield, I'm not sure a subwoofer is necessary. In fact, depending on room placement, box stuffing, listening position and the rest of the system, there actually may be more bass than what one hears in a natural acoustical environment (such as Powell Hall in St. Louis). There is adequate deep bass (for me in my environment and set-up) to round out an orchestral performance. In the nearfield listening experience (with an optimized room set-up) there is also quite adequate dynamic headroom.

I suppose that users could bi-amp in a good subwoofer, but I would not bring it in above 40hz if the 10.2s are in Pencils. YMMV.

(Written as I attempt to squeeze into my flameproof suit and crash helmet.)

After listening to a pair of Alpair 10.2s in Pencils in nearfield, I'm not sure a subwoofer is necessary. In fact, depending on room placement, box stuffing, listening position and the rest of the system, there actually may be more bass than what one hears in a natural acoustical environment (such as Powell Hall in St. Louis). There is adequate deep bass (for me in my environment and set-up) to round out an orchestral performance. In the nearfield listening experience (with an optimized room set-up) there is also quite adequate dynamic headroom.

I suppose that users could bi-amp in a good subwoofer, but I would not bring it in above 40hz if the 10.2s are in Pencils. YMMV.

(Written as I attempt to squeeze into my flameproof suit and crash helmet.)
the motivation behind looking to augment sub with alpair 10.2 is to 'relieve' the alpairs from the stress below 80hz (where cone excursion is evident) and let it handle the rest of the band with ease.

the motivation behind looking to augment sub with alpair 10.2 is to 'relieve' the alpairs from the stress below 80hz (where cone excursion is evident) and let it handle the rest of the band with ease.

Then why bother with a MLTL style box at all, if you're going to high pass them with an active/passive filter? A smaller BR box would be a better approach.

jeff

I'd argue against using lots of small drivers to replace one big one, unless a high aspect ratio cabinet is desired.

My reasoning is this:
4x 6" woofers is not the same as a single 12" woofer.
They might have the same cone area, but a decent 12" woofer can move, say, 12mm one-way.
Now ask those 4x 6" woofers to do the same.
Asking 6mm one-way travel of a 6" woofer is, IMO, more like it, but still excessive. But now you need 8 of those 6" woofers to match the SPL capability of the 12", and I'd still expect similar distortion figures.

Chris

Then why bother with a MLTL style box at all, if you're going to high pass them with an active/passive filter? A smaller BR box would be a better approach.

jeff
yes. currently they are in small vented box only!
however i will still go for MLTL box. i will switch to sub+MLTL for movies and certain kind of genre where lows are expected. other times i will bypass sub and enjoy soft music with just the MLTLs!!

That was my thought originally. I changed my mind after listening to them and finding the right room placement to get the best bass performance. I have some very good subwoofers that I might use, but I'd probably still run the 10.2s full range and just add the subs below 30hz or so. I don't think I want any additional electronics or crossover components in the signal path of the 10.2s.

I'd look harder at room placement and seating position rather than just throwing a sub at them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.