Thoughts and opinions about Fostex FF85WK - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2013, 10:29 PM   #31
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip. Actually they are so cheap I bought a pair just to try them.
Google translation on the german forum was really funny though.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:31 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Your'e welcome, I bought 2 pairs hehe
so I'm building Isobaric Compound closed box with them, one friend tried them so and says that he never heard better kick and bass
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:37 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I plan to use them in my car but of course I will also try them at home. If I could find the Mark Audio tweeter 3 I would be tempted to build that 2way speaker from the German forum.
However in the Home Theater front I am totally confused.
I am back to square one.
Right now I am looking at my options if I finally choose the CHP70. The enclosure options are overwhelming and at the same time I have some of my own designs in mind and that doesn't help either.
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:37 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

look at the last page of the thread in Hi-Fi Forum, there is a drop in tweeter

this TB wideranger is also bestbuy if you need some bass, sound is big/real, and vocals are outstanding
http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/ta...W51611SAF.html

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 23rd January 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 02:25 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Just an update.
After a lot of reading and thinking, I decided to abandon the idea of the FF85WK + woofer + subwoofer for cost reasons.
I still believe it would me my best choice but it is going to go well above my budget and it will also be very revealing so an upgrade on my front end and amplifiers could be a necessity with that system.
I decided that the CHP70 Gen1 is a good VFM choice but the amplifier I was planning to use can only handle loads down to 6ohms.
Dual CHP70/channel should be my only option which is not bad because it will bring me closer to the dynamics I am after.
Being able to cross them between 100-150Hz I can go straight to a sub and avoid the woofer.
However since I have not heard a FR driver before and I am not 100% that I am going to be happy with it I decided to step back and take a different approach.
I bought one pair of CHP70 and one 10" Peerless XLS 830452 sub which is supposed to work well in very small enclosures.
I will do some tests with them and then I will decide which route I will go.
However since I have abandon the Fostex FF85WK ( ) I will stop posting in this thread and open a new one as soon as I have some info about my new project.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:17 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Fair enough. You never know, you might be able to come back to it when funds permit (I know the feeling).
Old 2nd September 2014, 03:32 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hi all,I would like to order a ff85wk.How do you think it will work with a 2a3 tube amplifier.And actually i have a visaton b 200 driver.How do you compare their sounds? I know it's a small driver but i am planning to use it as a small room or office speaker..
Old 2nd September 2014, 04:52 PM   #38
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

as wonderful as both the FF85WK and a well executed 2A3 can be - I've owned and heard numerous examples of each - except for the most modest of volumes in the near field, I think most folks would find the combination lacking in total SPL and dynamic headroom
Old 2nd September 2014, 05:34 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
as wonderful as both the FF85WK and a well executed 2A3 can be - I've owned and heard numerous examples of each - except for the most modest of volumes in the near field, I think most folks would find the combination lacking in total SPL and dynamic headroom
I understand that will be a great combination for the moderate levels.I am using bottlehead stereomour 2a3. How is the sound character against visaton b200 ?
Old 2nd September 2014, 05:47 PM   #40
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

To be honest, my only exposure to the B200 was several years ago, in a wide panel OB (far too impractical for my own domestic situation) , so my recollection would be very cloudy. The best that I can remember was that in that configuration, it could definitely have benefited from the addition of a tweeter.

On the other hand, in the very nearfield - such as my 2 current computer desktop setups , the FF85WK doesn't need much assistance at all.

of course, YMMV

Hide this!Advertise here!