Thoughts and opinions about Fostex FF85WK - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2013, 04:21 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Well that Fountek I liked in post #19 is new to me and really catches my interest. Not available quite yet though. Looks like it'll be around q = 0.8 in 25 to 30L if you stuff it full. Easily takes a 80hz cross over to bigger subs. Would cross nicely around 300hz. And only $55/ea.

You could do passive, it just takes quite expensive components. Most people would cringe doing this, but just use iron core inductors and non-polorized electrolytic caps. At least until you've got the cross over dialed in. You'll still be spending >$10 per inductor likely. But cheaper than buying amps and a dsp module. I can't offer much expertise on passive line level active, but parts are cheap for that IF you have the amps.

I tried starting a discussion around this very sort of thing here: Cross Over design and Woofer choices for FAST

But it didn't go very far other than me expressing how I would do it. Dave chimed in with a few of his thoughts. It might offer some help though.
Old 21st January 2013, 06:01 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Given those constraints, CHP70 (Gem 1), makessense. They have the advantage over A7 that they will not expose the shortcomings of a typical HT receiver as much. Or as much as the FF85.

dave
Old 21st January 2013, 07:16 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Doesn't the CHP70 have a rolled off top end? I find my HT receiver rolls off the top unless I put it in Pure Audio mode (which can't be done for movies). So combined the top end may be very rolled off.

Just a thought.
Old 21st January 2013, 07:32 PM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHP70 (gen 2) has a shelved down top end. Those in Europe are in the enviable position to get gen 1 from Rudy while he still has stock, the gen 1 driver is broadly similar to EL70 -- the only direct comparison from Zia.

dave
Old 21st January 2013, 07:39 PM   #25
Pnotus is offline Pnotus  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Without really knowing what I´m talking about - wouldn´t the Fostex ff225wk work?

One would think that they sound somewhat similar due to material and suspension?

/P
Old 21st January 2013, 07:50 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My set of FF225 are still sitting on the shelf. We have truly only evaluated the 3 smallest FFs, and the FF85 is a standout (except for lack of bottom).

FF225 also requires tweeter, and you would be getting potential bass performance that you would be throwing away.

dave

dave
Old 21st January 2013, 08:19 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

So a ff85 on top with ff225 doing bass is a no-go?
Old 21st January 2013, 08:28 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

efficiency differences would mean need to bi-amp, and for the cash to buy FF225 you'd be way ahead with a traditional midbass.

dave
Old 21st January 2013, 08:59 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

But.. they look so good.

Ok dave - thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!