Horn sensitivity question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will upload the excursion graph when I get a chance. If I remember right in the 2.83v sim it it maxed out at about 1mm after the first minimum (I will be using a high pass so the unloading below tuning doesn't matter).

I have used this driver (in the aiko) which is a similar geometry to these with similar simulated excursion and I know from experience that this driver sounds good well beyond the rated xmax (within limits of course) I try not to push the driver past about 2.5mm peak to peak and it has performed quite well. Given that this horn is tuned a bit higher I don't anticipate it excursion being too much of a problem at normal levels. Also with the added resistance of heavy stuffing I expect the excursion to be much lower than the sim. Given that the Aiko sound pretty fantastic and it goes down to about 70Hz with VERY small excursion (I can't see motion at normal listening levels) even run WITHOUT a high pass filter I think that this horn should do just fine with a filter

GM good catch, the path difference should be 0, I mistook that for distance between the horn mouth and the driver. Will repost that sim when I get a chance to pull out my other computer.

And I have to get down to at least 85Hz with this design because the tapped horn I designed to go with it has a 16Hz f3 which limits its upper end bandwidth.

cool down,
i think there exist a few standards and DIN Norm so the best way is to make a measurement, compair and listen, but the membran movement would be interesting, show us some.

Who isn't 'cool?' :confused:

There is no universal standard value for Xmax. Fact. I have stated three commonly used methods of putting a value to it. All of them are different, and all usually give different results. Two of them do not have any fixed distortion value, one does, but it is THD, which is of very little use and only at one deflection point. Manufacturers do not usually state the method they used. Ergo, as I stated, you need to measure yourself to ensure consistency, in which case you can forget the concept of Xmax entirely and go by the individual distortion figures of the drive unit which are more likely to be of use.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The best I have seen xmax expressed is for the higher end Dayton single point source drivers which are Klippel characterized where Bl, Le, and suspension stiffness k, are measured as function of x. They also define where the limits are. Surprising amount of detail from a rather no name driver compared to the bigger names in this forum. Example for their 8 in driver here: Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver 295-346
Do other manufacturers provide this data? I haven't seen it yet...

Dayton as PE's house brand are actually a reasonable sized name in the US, although less so elsewhere, and primarily for more conventional drive units (for e.g. many of their RS range of metal cone / dome units are very good value for money and excellent performers if your XO design skills are up to it). They're not as well known in the wideband driver market, but they've not really concentrated on these products.

No, you rarely get that level of detail from most manufacturers. Time, inclination, measurement equipment limits (most use LMS) and above all money tend to restrict things. I believe Bob at CSS is trying to provide this sort of information with his latest products. In fairness, we should also remember than home measurements are not necessarily any more accurate than manufacturer data either.

Last edited:
Dayton as PE's house brand are actually a reasonable sized name in the US, although less so elsewhere, and primarily for more conventional drive units (for e.g. many of their RS range of metal cone / dome units are very good value for money and excellent performers if your XO design skills are up to it). They're not as well known in the wideband driver market, but they've not really concentrated on these products.

Dayton Audio ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm 290-212

I use a pair of those in folded Tabaqs corner loaded in my garage as work speakers and for the price they blow me away. Run full range with a tad of parametric EQ (Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amp w/Power Supp 310-300) they actually have much better HF then the datasheet would lead you to believe.

They are bass monsters, when my brother first heard them in the garage he said "when did you add a sub down here." I can hit 45hz loud enough that it could annoy the neighbors, loud enough to be heard over my saw, with just a pair of 4" drivers. I would say there is audible extension into the 30s.

I highly recommend them as work speakers, I originally made them to be portable speakers for my Pole Vault team but then liked them so much I held on to them haha. I wouldn't use them without a tweeter for everyday use though

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.