What can my amp handle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm running a siliconray srk09 claimed 10w by two I'm wondering can I run two of these speakers in parallel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 101
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is an interesting driver, pretty low fs for how small it is. Can you get us the link to the driver? The basket looks like a vifa/peerless but it is not.

The specs show 4 ohms, if you want to get more spl with them then 2 in series for an 8 ohm amplifier. You will lose the nice point source nature of these drivers as full range speakers if you have more than one pointing forward towards listener.

Last edited:
That is an interesting driver, pretty low fs for how small it is. Can you get us the link to the driver? The basket looks like a vifa/peerless but it is not.

That unit crops up here on and off, usually when a small batch makes it onto EPay. It's made by Guide Sound (Gui-Sound) in Taiwan, who incidentally are also the OEM producer of the Audio Nirvana drive units & the models they are based upon. It seems to be liked, but it seems to me that many of the people who have heard it haven't had any experience with direct equivalents, the most obvious being the FE103En, various TBs etc., so make of that what you will. Some might, but I don't recall any major feedback from them so YMMV.

From a design POV, it's a pretty little driver (as far as speakers go. I prefer looking at Sarah Smart myself), but I'm not sold on small units with whizzer cones. I don't much care for whizzer cones at the best of times, but in smaller units, I really can't see the point. It smacks of sloppy engineering to me, which is surprising since Guide Sound have several similar sized units which don't have whizzer cones but similar HF extension. My susicion is that it's pandering to those who want a nice shiny phase plug in the belief that they automatically make a drive unit 'better.'

My own design views notwithstanding, I've not heard anything particularly bad about these units, so YMMV. They may well produce a decent sound. As for the question

Am in the right track with two speakers is better than one or not

That depends what you mean by 'better.'

Last edited:
Use two and roll off the second driver as required so it's just for BSC. If due to room loading, no BSC is required, then use it to tune the cab a half octave lower.

That, or sit far enough away that by holding a ruler in front of your eyes they only appear to be <1" apart c-t-c. They should sound like one larger driver with a little wider horizontal 'sweet spot'.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.