SB 8 inch woofer sounds great on its own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 5mH inductor here. Any suggestions?

John

It could introduce you in the realm of OB (open baffle) :usd:

Or any other application of a woofer which is 'cut' real low- so it
make happen the extension>sensitivity trade off .

With OB you lose lots of pressure in the bass because of acoustic
short-circuit
:wave2s:
Which I doubt is present in foam enclosures, in multiple forms ( transparency
to the lowest frequencies , and selective and depending on the different paths
that sound travels with ...)

Well, I don't know anything about open baffle, but if you also have a bigger cap I'd swap in the 5mH instead of the 1.5mH. I'd then bump up the 22uF for something about 50uF if you have it. Even two 22uF in parallel gets you 44. Once you have that I'd put the 1.5mH and about 5 to 10ohm resistor in series with it, and put that LR across in parallel with the alp7. So 44uF followed by 1.5mH + 8ohm going to ground.

A schematic would make more sense but I'm on my phone.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...first order cross over consisting of a 1.5mH inductor on the woofer and a 22uF film cap on the MA 7.3

Somewhere 700-800 Hz (nominally). Part size is going to need to increase.

Try connecting those parts in series and see what happens. It may help, it may not. One thing it does is lock the 2 drivers together so that the LP = HP.

attachment.php

Try with what you have

A series XO has a parameter called Zeta that describes the behaviour of the electrical filters around the XO. Zeta = 1.0 = Butterworth (with the same text book RL values as passive). Raise the zeta you get a depression, lower it a hump.

dave

Attachments

• A73-SB23-seriesX.gif
    A73-SB23-seriesX.gif
    10 KB · Views: 508
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.