Veneering flat pak speaker kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Veneering flat pak speaker kits to match KCS BLH cabinets

My transition from traditional commercial speaker designs to back loaded horns with full-range drivers is almost complete. My first purchase was a pair of FH3's with FE126En drivers. These will be used as surrounds in a 5.2 home theater multi-channel system.

My latest purchase was a beautiful pair of KCS BLH's with FE206ES-R drivers that had been eNAbled by Dave at Planet 10. The sound these speakers produce is addictive. Lows do need a little help so I have a pair of Klipsch Ultra II subs with the crossover setup at 80Hz. I also acquired an extra modded FE206ES-R driver as part of the deal which I want to use in a center channel speaker.

I'm considering 2 options for this center channel. I can go with a Sachiko design laid flat under the projector screen but this requires me to build them from scratch and I neither have the skills or woodworking equipment to get this off the ground without some outside assistance.

The other option is the Madisound BK20 flat pak. They have one ready to ship and all I need to complete the speaker is some wood gluing and clamping which I'm comfortable doing myself.

So I have a couple of questions. Since the center channel carries a lot of the voicing in movies which speaker design will replicate male and female voices the best? Bass performance isn't really so critical but clarity and timbre is.

Second question is about refinishing the baltic birch. The LR KCS speakers are finished in a really nice Cherry veneer with a French polish which I'd like to duplicate as near as possible on the center. Should the veneers be applied to the flat panels or the finished speaker? Does anyone have any useful step-by-step guides to assist an inexperienced newb?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.