erich hartmann alpair 10.2 bookshelf speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
completed these vented bookshelf spealers :)
IMG_20130216_170329.jpg

IMG_20130310_094040.jpg

thanks to Erich (for designing such a simple yet beautifully sounding box) and Mark.

Very nicely done.

Tried to cut some 3/4" Baltic Birch for this design a couple of weeks ago. Table saw down so I have to wait until next week to get the wood cut for mine.

any reason going for bookshelf speakers? initially i planned to couple these boxes with woofers in 2way setup, but now after listening to them i have decided to go for pencil design as these drivers alone can handle lows pretty nicely. no woofer necessary.

this box attracted me for the same reason you mentioned. apart from that its very simple!
its bass performance is very good. clean and smooth. not sure adding a sub will be good as this driver alone in pencil can reach 30hz in room. go ahead and build these tiny boxes and you will be happy. for even better bass, i read pencils are recommended.

any reason going for bookshelf speakers? initially i planned to couple these boxes with woofers in 2way setup, but now after listening to them i have decided to go for pencil design as these drivers alone can handle lows pretty nicely. no woofer necessary.

this box attracted me for the same reason you mentioned. apart from that its very simple!
its bass performance is very good. clean and smooth. not sure adding a sub will be good as this driver alone in pencil can reach 30hz in room. go ahead and build these tiny boxes and you will be happy. for even better bass, i read pencils are recommended.

I couldn't agree more - while few of us have had the opportunity to compare every possible permutation, I've experienced the larger MA drivers enough to say that with all due respect to the numerous designers of compact / bookshelf enclosures for the 10.2 (and for that matter 12P), these drivers truly blossom in a "full size" enclosure such as Pensil, M10A10, Silbury, etc.

Of course on those rare occasions when domestic concerns interfere with optimal enclosure design / placement ....;)

ya see, that's funny because .... well you know

I couldn't agree more - while few of us have had the opportunity to compare every possible permutation, I've experienced the larger MA drivers enough to say that with all due respect to the numerous designers of compact / bookshelf enclosures for the 10.2 (and for that matter 12P), these drivers truly blossom in a "full size" enclosure such as Pensil, M10A10, Silbury, etc.

Of course on those rare occasions when domestic concerns interfere with optimal enclosure design / placement ....;)

ya see, that's funny because .... well you know

pencils are not big and not small. just of the size that my room can take without complaining (in other words...allowed WAF! :D)

today stuffed the boxes with 1" thick glasswool. not sure if this is too much but thats what i have at hand. there is considerable improvement compared to 1" think egg foam. glasswool does the job better!
i used 19AWG OFC wire for internal wiring and also for amp connection. is there any advantage going for lower AWG wire in this case?

do pencils increase SPL? i see similar MLTL by Bob (M10-A10) mentioned SPL to be 90dB which is 3dB more than the driver spec.

Only in their operating band, at the bottom of the frequency range. It depends on how you measure them TBH. And the MA units are a little unusual compared to some others in that they're usually somewhat easier to drive than the bald figures might imply.

19ga should be more than sufficient for internal wiring by the way. As for fiberglass, I'm not surprised -acoustic foam (egg crate foam / whatever you like to call it) is rubbish as far as I'm concerned. One point though: you might want to get some muslin or similar stretched behind the driver to prevent fibers getting into it.

Only in their operating band, at the bottom of the frequency range. It depends on how you measure them TBH. And the MA units are a little unusual compared to some others in that they're usually somewhat easier to drive than the bald figures might imply.

19ga should be more than sufficient for internal wiring by the way. As for fiberglass, I'm not surprised -acoustic foam (egg crate foam / whatever you like to call it) is rubbish as far as I'm concerned. One point though: you might want to get some muslin or similar stretched behind the driver to prevent fibers getting into it.

thanks for muslin tip. despite of careful cnc cut baffle hole/flush mounting, still i feel there is edge discontinuity, so thinking to glue felt ring around the periphery of bezel edge. will this actually work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.