TL-box for BG20 Visaton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!:hohoho:

I need design for TL-box for BG20 Visaton.Design may be bass reflex or similar.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Best Regards.

Attachments

• bg20.jpg
    bg20.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,056
Given up on the W5?

Which is it? You say you want a TL & in the same sentence that it 'may be a bass reflex or similar.' So do you want a TL, or a bass reflex?

You can get a reasonable response similar to Augspurger's favoured alignment with a straight TL, 50in long, cross section of 265.375in^2, driver tapped in 12.5in down from the top. Stuff 1lb ft^3 dacron pillow stuffing.

Attachments

• BG20 TL.png
    BG20 TL.png
    71 KB · Views: 2,136
Last edited:
TL-box design for BG20 Visaton

Guys let's go with the TL-box, or let your suggestion box, because I found full range drivers BG20 (Visaton) for 70EUR for pair, while drivers W5-1611saf 170Eur for the pair. So I want to box making for these speakers Visaton BG20. Please suggest a draft box.
Which crossover frequency to use to align the frequency diagram speaker BG20.
Can the draft (design) of this or these boxes (see Figure 1)
Thank you for your cooperation!

Attachments

• preview-bg-20-koax-large.jpg
    preview-bg-20-koax-large.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,500
Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

I posted this MLTL many moons ago, but don't recall anyone building it/reporting back. Note that I have three sets of specs, so used the ones that required the biggest net Vb, lowest tuning figuring it might have some tuning flexibility.

L = 60"
CSA [WxD] = 178.35"^2
zdriver = 22.8"
zport = down near/at the bottom
Dport = 6"
Lport = 0.75"

All dims i.d. [inside] and approximate. Sim is minimally stuffed. It will need some form of EQ to flatten out the bass if not corner loaded. That, or use a larger vent to tune it higher.

GM

Attachments

• Visaton BG20 35 Hz MLTL.gif
    Visaton BG20 35 Hz MLTL.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 2,041
TL-box design?

Hi guys!
E like I imagined it looks TL-box for full range Visaton GB20 speaker , so ask for help about the given dimensions of the TL-box.
So please if you are able to give the values ​​set in the outline box.
Are these switches can be used to align the frequency response?
Is it can be used box by the Russian ?
See figure:
Thanks for your cooperation.
Cheers!:cheers:

Attachments

• Kutija za BG20.gif
    Kutija za BG20.gif
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,911
  • Skretnica.png
    Skretnica.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,502
  • TL-box for BG20 (Visaton).JPG
    TL-box for BG20 (Visaton).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,704
Last edited:
switches ?
Ha ha, maybe you're talking about those three passive components that compose the Notch Filter, which, yes, it aligns the response of the speaker in a box, on a baffle.
Nice that you name them 'switches', which is sort of Digital talking instead of Analog
(Linear)...me too, because I'm not really into electronic phenomena, I like to think of those components as switches, that take or release energy ...
BTW Build whatever you want, be it Voigt Pipe, reflex, MLTL,TL
'cos we cannot determine how it'll sound by just looking at some picture !

Greets!

I posted this MLTL many moons ago, but don't recall anyone building it/reporting back. Note that I have three sets of specs, so used the ones that required the biggest net Vb, lowest tuning figuring it might have some tuning flexibility.

L = 60"
CSA [WxD] = 178.35"^2
zdriver = 22.8"
zport = down near/at the bottom
Dport = 6"
Lport = 0.75"

All dims i.d. [inside] and approximate. Sim is minimally stuffed. It will need some form of EQ to flatten out the bass if not corner loaded. That, or use a larger vent to tune it higher.

GM
Hi GM!
If this is all you can to show the sketch (schematic) to be a little clearer.:confused::(
thank you!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi guys!
E like I imagined it looks TL-box for full range Visaton GB20 speaker , so ask for help about the given dimensions of the TL-box.
So please if you are able to give the values ​​set in the outline box.
Are these switches can be used to align the frequency response?
Is it can be used box by the Russian ?
See figure:
Thanks for your cooperation.
Cheers!:cheers:

You really should take a look at the BIB enclosure for the BG20. Use the BIB calculator by GM - it gives you all the dimensions you need. The BIB sounds good by most who try it out and accepts a wide range of drivers. It will be big though for a BG20 and have lots of bass - so much that you will not find any need for the BSC circuit - and in fact, you will probably have to reduce the bass output with stuffing or EQ'ing.

Here is the calculator: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/full-range/226318d1307565261-enclosures-hemptone-fr8-bib_calculator_v1x.xls.zip

Since the BG20 has such a large Vas (3.88 ft^3), it will generate a very large enclosure (89 in tall x 30 in deep). There is a trick to reduce the size of the enclosure yet retain the characteristic sound of the BIB: reduce the Vas that you enter into the calculator. The length will still stay the same, but the volume is reduced and consequently, width and depth are much more manageable. You can also reduce the height if you set the tuning frequency of the BIB higher than the Fs of the driver. The BG20 has a very low Fs of 38 Hz. If you can live with a tuning freq of 47 Hz, and cut the Vas to 1.94 ft^3, the final dimensions come out to (assuming 0.75 in thick plywood): 16.5 in wide x 23.5 in deep x 72 in tall. This is a much more reasonable size, and this design will still have more bass than you will ever need.

If you are not familiar with what a BIB looks like, here is a design for a tiny 3,5 in driver that Jhutka came up with. The calculator will give you all the critical dimensions you need.

Good luck.
X

322415d1357667795t-terry-cains-bib-why-does-work-does-anyone-have-those-fostex-craft-handbooks-bib-vifa.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi xrk971!
This picture is very small please give the increase.
thank you!
Cheers!

The image can be found in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ne-have-those-fostex-craft-handbooks-510.html

Link to picture here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ave-those-fostex-craft-handbooks-bib-vifa.jpg

It is only an example with a different driver. You need to run the BIB calculator for the BG20 to get the dimensions and location of driver (from top), and length of diagonal divider.

By learning about quarter-wave speaker design, and then designing it. ;) That's a conical horn (sometimes rather inaccurately called a TQWT) by the way rather than a transmission line.

OK, these are the basics of what you need to do:

-The total axial length of the horn should be set according to the desired tuning frequency and the degree of taper you wish to employ.

-The degree of taper you wish to employ should (theoretically) be established by the bandwidth you wish the enclosure to operate over. The greater the degree of taper, the wider the resonant bandwidth, but all other things being equal, the longer the horn will need to be for a given tuning frequency.

-The driver location along the horn must then be be set according to the length and taper of the horn to minimise unwanted harmonic resonances.

-The total volume of the enclosure needs to be established according to the volume compliance of the drive unit, its Q, and the desired tuning frequency.

-The cross sectional area of the vent depends on the desired tuning, whether you wish to mass-load the horn, or whether you simply want to use it to help filter off some unwanted pipe harmonic resonances. Assuming you wish to keep it simple, just set it to = the Sd of the driver.

-You will then need to damp the enclosure appropriately. The quantities and location of the damping material will vary depending on the alignment you have used.

OK, I had a couple of minutes so here are some (more) dimensions for you, for a Weems style folded conical horn like the one you drew above.

Please don't ask me to draw a diagram. I don't have the time (or talent). If you don't know what some of the words mean, a very little searching / research will give you the answers, and you might get a better understanding.

This is based on a T/S max-flat volume alignment assuming the parameters on the Visaton website. All dimensions are internal. I assumed 3/4in building material.

-Cabinet height = 40.25in
-Width = 12in
-Total internal cabinet depth = 19.5in
-Throat depth = 4in
-Taper ratio = 1:4
-Height of vent = 2.75in
-Zd (distance of the centre of the drive unit from the throat) 31.125in
-Top of internal baffle centred equidistant from the internal top, back and front
-Line the front and top of the box around the fold with damping material. This should be continued for 10in down the back of the enclosure. Adjust to requirements from there. A removable back to the cabinet would be useful to allow easy stuffing adjustment.

Attachments

• BG20 thiele-small derived max-flat derived Weems pipe.png
    BG20 thiele-small derived max-flat derived Weems pipe.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,458
Last edited:
Hi scottmoose!
You speak for horn with BG20-Visaton, I want I design the TL-box or the WIBAQ: TABAQ design with this speaker BG20!
Here's horns see to draft BG20 !:eek:
Best Regards!

Attachments

• Horna so BG20 bVisaton.jpg
    Horna so BG20 bVisaton.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 2,471
Last edited:
-The drawing you show in post 12 is technically a type of horn, since it expands toward the terminus. It is sometimes known as a Weems Pipe, or, rather inaccurately, a TQWT or TQWP. I have given you dimensions for the type of enclosure that you asked for. Are you now saying you don't want that after all?

Last edited:
-The drawing you show in post 12 is technically a type of horn, since it expands toward the terminus. It is sometimes known as a Weems Pipe, or, rather inaccurately, a TQWT or TQWP. I have given you dimensions for the type of enclosure that you asked for. Are you now saying you don't want that after all?

Mr. Scottmoose, all right now, I realized that you're talking about the sketch up!
thank you!

Yes, that's what I was talking about.

The TABAQ is just an MLTL for a particular set of small drive units. WIBAQ is just a similar type of MLTL for a different drive unit. GM, in post 5, gave you the dimensions for just such an enclosure.

To translate GM's nomenclature for you: it is a simple rectangular box. Like the TABAQ.

L = length. The internal height of the enclosure.
CSA = Cross Sectional Area of the cabinet in square inches. Multiply the internal width of the cabinet by the internal depth of the cabinet. It needs to add to the figure he provided, or very close.
Zdriver = the distance the centre of the drive unit should be from the internal top of the box.
Zport = the distance the centre of the vent / port should be from the internal bottom. He told you it should be as close to the bottom as possible.
Dport = the diameter of the circular port used in inches.
Lport = the length of the port in inches.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
OK, I had a couple of minutes so here are some (more) dimensions for you, for a Weems style folded conical horn like the one you drew above.

Please don't ask me to draw a diagram. I don't have the time (or talent). If you don't know what some of the words mean, a very little searching / research will give you the answers, and you might get a better understanding.

This is based on a T/S max-flat volume alignment assuming the parameters on the Visaton website. All dimensions are internal. I assumed 3/4in building material.

-Cabinet height = 40.25in
-Width = 12in
-Total internal cabinet depth = 19.5in
-Throat depth = 4in
-Taper ratio = 1:4
-Height of vent = 2.75in
-Zd (distance of the centre of the drive unit from the throat) 31.125in
-Top of internal baffle centred equidistant from the internal top, back and front
-Line the front and top of the box around the fold with damping material. This should be continued for 10in down the back of the enclosure. Adjust to requirements from there. A removable back to the cabinet would be useful to allow easy stuffing adjustment.

That was awfully nice of you to run a sim of the hand sketched box for the OP. The design looks really good. I don't know if Gost22 realizes how much we are going out of our way to provide suggestions and actual dimensions because it looks like he may just go with another design or driver. :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.