Bookshelves powered by T-amp for nearfield - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
bocosb is offline bocosb  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Bookshelves powered by T-amp for nearfield

Hello guys, i'm new to diy and i'm researching my first speakers so i would like some guidelines:

- I want to make a pair of bookshelves which will be placed on stands on either side of my desk. The listening position will be sitting at the desk (working on the pc).
- The amp will be a T-amp, somewhere around 10w/c (already have it), source asus xonar stx from pc.
- The room is small, around 12'x9' (3.7mx2.9m). The speakers will be close to the wall about 1 feet, and the listening position in the center of the room about 4 feet from the speakers. Will add a room plan for better understanding.
- I want something easy to listen for lots of hours in a row, i listen to all types of music but mainly vocals, acoustic, jazz, classic rock.
- Atm i have 2 way 6.5'' 'regular' bass reflex speakers, aprox. 16l volume, but i could go bigger if needed, no WAF problems in here, it's my man cave

I read many threads the last 2 days and i find Mark Audio drivers appealing(but not sure about the sensitivity paired with my T-amp).. do you think it would ok for my needs? Alpair 7, 10 or 12? Or try something cheaper for my first project?
Also the variety of enclosures is confusing what would work best in my situation? (nearfield)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room_eng.jpg (99.3 KB, 314 views)
Old 14th January 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The reduced BSC version of this should be good :
Zaph|Audio - ZMV5 - MCM / Vifa 5" System

rgds, sreten.
Old 14th January 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Mark Audio CHP-70's on my desk at work. I use an old Sony receiver to power them. It's right around 18 WPC. I'd say you would probably be OK for nearfield listening with your amp. I'm a fan of Mark Audio speakers, so I'd say build a set and if your amp isn't powerful enough, get a larger one. I know that sounds bass-ackwards, but for bang for the buck, in my opinion you can't do much better. Depending on your budget, you could even go with 2 or more drivers per cabinet. That would give you a few more dB.
Sorry to spin the post around, but you mentioned Mark Audio, so it got my attention.
Mike
Old 15th January 2013, 12:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You could build a pair of uFonkens with some Fostex FF85WK drivers. These are small and very detailed but will not produce the bass of larger drivers.
Old 15th January 2013, 02:17 AM   #5
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Uhh remembering that Sounds originate from the PC and likely internet downloads.
Even a Logitech 'puter monitor' setup would work 'jes fine'
Old 15th January 2013, 02:36 AM   #6
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I listen to these all day long in a room about the same size as yours. Although made using some very inexpensive drivers the cabinet really makes it sound rich and full. They excel at vocals, acoustic stuff and jazz. They are wall mounts though, and from your picture it looks like you have wall space. They are indeed made using Logitech 'puter speakers You can build a slightly larger upgraded version with 3 in drivers that will be 16 in square.
Post 60 in this thread Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Here is a 16 in version made with TB w3-881si drivers Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Last edited by xrk971; 15th January 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:09 PM   #7
bocosb is offline bocosb  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

The reduced BSC version of this should be good :
Zaph|Audio - ZMV5 - MCM / Vifa 5" System

rgds, sreten.
That system looks like great value for the money and the reviews on the drivers seem very good but i want to try a fullrange speaker design. And i have zero experience with soldering so i try to avoid crossovers for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Uhh remembering that Sounds originate from the PC and likely internet downloads.
Even a Logitech 'puter monitor' setup would work 'jes fine'
The Asus Xonar Essence STX i'm using is pretty well regarded in terms of audio quality and my music is mainly ripped loseless format, so i would'n call that a problem, plus in the future i'm considering a dedicated DAC for the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
You could build a pair of uFonkens with some Fostex FF85WK drivers. These are small and very detailed but will not produce the bass of larger drivers.
I really like the ideea of a "onken" cabinet but i would go with a bigger driver then the Fostex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikje View Post
I have a pair of Mark Audio CHP-70's on my desk at work. I use an old Sony receiver to power them. It's right around 18 WPC. I'd say you would probably be OK for nearfield listening with your amp. I'm a fan of Mark Audio speakers, so I'd say build a set and if your amp isn't powerful enough, get a larger one. I know that sounds bass-ackwards, but for bang for the buck, in my opinion you can't do much better. Depending on your budget, you could even go with 2 or more drivers per cabinet. That would give you a few more dB.
Sorry to spin the post around, but you mentioned Mark Audio, so it got my attention.
Mike
I read about the CHP70, very well regarded but if budget will allow i think i'll try the Alpair 7.3 - it seems that lots of people are considering it one of the best fullrange speaker you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I listen to these all day long in a room about the same size as yours. Although made using some very inexpensive drivers the cabinet really makes it sound rich and full. They excel at vocals, acoustic stuff and jazz. They are wall mounts though, and from your picture it looks like you have wall space. They are indeed made using Logitech 'puter speakers You can build a slightly larger upgraded version with 3 in drivers that will be 16 in square.
Post 60 in this thread Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Here is a 16 in version made with TB w3-881si drivers Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!
That is a very interesting design, looks easy to build but for the moment i want to make a standmount. But in the future I definitely see myself building two of this pizza boxes

Some more questions: if i settle on a Alpair 7.3(or something similar), what would be the differences between the BR cabinet and the onken style?
And another thing.. i never heard a fullrange speaker. Making some calculations the build will get me to around 3-400$. That's the price range for good quality commercial entry level bookshelves. How is a full range diy speaker(let's say based on the above Alpair 7.3) compared to these speakers? I know the sound signature is different, but a rough quantification of sound quality will put my mind to ease(as in a confirmation for getting better bang for the buck)
Old 15th January 2013, 10:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
t-amp
Quote:
Atm i have 2 way 6.5'' 'regular' bass reflex speakers, aprox. 16l volume, but i could go bigger if needed, no WAF problems in here, it's my man cave
a good starting point ;-) let me think a bit on it...

do you have a powered sub?

Last edited by venomizer; 15th January 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:19 PM   #9
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I'd say start out with a 2-way, but only use 3dB of baffle step compensation. Most designs on the internet use 6dB, and this is unlistenable when your speakers are near the wall. Vocals get drowned out by the bass. Using the right amount of BSC is the most critical aspect to the final sound of the entire system.

The Alpair 10.2 has 3dB of BSC already built in, which makes it easy, but it's on the expensive side.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Alpair 10.2 has 3dB of BSC already built in, which makes it easy, but it's on the expensive side.
interesting! yes, also seemed expensive to me...

so, do you need "real" fullrangers or do you also have/plan a powered sub?

Quote:
I know the sound signature is different, but a rough quantification of sound quality will put my mind to ease(as in a confirmation for getting better bang for the buck)
fullrangers have kind of a special sound, well, you'll get to know it then... they don't necessarily have to be expensive... there are also some "cheap" ones that are really "good", imho

Quote:
source asus xonar stx from pc
with pc as source, you can also use a software EQ for the BSC... as well as for some maybe needed notch filter(s)

Last edited by venomizer; 15th January 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!