Bookshelves powered by T-amp for nearfield - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2013, 09:34 PM   #11
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomizer View Post
interesting! yes, also seemed expensive to me...

so, do you need "real" fullrangers or do you also have/plan a powered sub?
I personally have a sub but don't use it. Bass extension with an Alpair 10.2 is pretty good in a small room, and the bass is clean and punchy. The room reflections add bass, that's why it sounds better with the subwoofers turned off. But I did add a tweeter. I like to hear the sparkle of instruments.

Bottom line for bocosb is, pick a 5.25" woofer in a 2-way, with 3dB to 4dB of BSC. Be prepared to spend $$$ on the crossover. Some newbies only take into account the cost of the drivers, which is just a small part of the expense.
Old 15th January 2013, 09:38 PM   #12
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomizer View Post
fullrangers have kind of a special sound, well, you'll get to know it then... they don't necessarily have to be expensive... there are also some "cheap" ones that are really "good", imho
I'd say this is true for the larger fullrange units (especially when driven by SET amps) but the 3" and 4" ones to me just sound like a conventional 2-way but with the frequency extremes cut off. The smaller fullrange units don't have the dynamics, the warmth, or the expansive soundstage of the larger units.
Old 15th January 2013, 09:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The smaller fullrange units don't have the dynamics
that's why I'm asking him after the sub. I would have to take that in account, considering some suggestions. we'll see what he wants...
Old 15th January 2013, 10:18 PM   #14
bocosb is offline bocosb  Romania
diyAudio Member

I don't have a sub
Old 16th January 2013, 09:09 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

so... the t-amp is a nice small amlifier, yet it cannot deliver a lot of power-output. This might be a problem, when you want to listen "loud". So it would be a good idea to find some efficient speakers (be it fullrange or two-way, that is a matter of taste...). Fullrangers are easier to construct, normally (and this way suited for a first project)... When you have the possibility to filter via EQ on your PC, even better, then you can save the money for BSC and/or notch-filters...

do you like to listen to your music loud?
Old 16th January 2013, 09:26 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I usually listen to low-medium levels.. i'd say under 70db for the majority of time and sometimes up to 80-84db (but that's rare) - this values are measured with an android app, probably not very precise.
My t-amp is hooked on 88db two way speakers and with the volume in windows on 100% i'm not going past 12'clock ever.
Now, the sensitivity of the driver wouldn't influence the sound quality too when hooked to a low power amp? or just the volume?
Old 16th January 2013, 10:17 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now, the sensitivity of the driver wouldn't influence the sound quality too when hooked to a low power amp? or just the volume?
well, yes and no. When the speaker has a higher efficiency, the whole system will go louder with less distortion. On low listening levels it won't account much. But afterall the t-amp is "weak". When you combine it with really efficient speakers, it's stunning :-)

ok, some suggestions, I will only suggest what I already heard, and these should not be overpriced, I hope...

3" fullrange drivers: Visaton FRS8 (cheap and good, smooth FR), Tangband W3-871S (there are some constructions out there using these drivers, they both can not go loud!)
4" fullrange driver: Fostex FE103E (without the "n", probably very similar, a quite "revealing" driver) ~6L BR (I was using these a long time with the sonic aimpact...)
6" fullrange driver: Fostex FE167E (I have one little notch filter for it) ~15L BR

these small fullrangers can not produce a lot of bass, so either, one could add a "cheap" powered sub, or pick a larger unit, but if you're used to two/three way systems, the "beaming" / dispersion patterns are different

since you don't have to go really loud, you might pick a small one... I would have a tendency towards the FE103E(n), but that's just my taste... (and then I would spend the saved $$ on a cheap 8"/10" sub and plate amp)

in your shown listening room, the speakers are near the wall, that's good for helping them with the bass, so for a first try, you could go without the sub. When you want more lowrange one day you can quickly build one

Last edited by venomizer; 16th January 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

In answer to your question about a full-range DIY build vs commercial HiFi stuff...

The commercial stuff doesn't stand a chance. Seriously. (in a 1000 speaker, around 10% goes toward the drive units)

Studio monitors, however, are a bit of a different story. IMHO, Behringer's Truth line is very difficult to beat for the money, and have amplifiers (including room-related eq) built-in. For a 300 pair, more like 50% would be drive units (if you bought them).

It all depends on what you're after:

If its a nice introduction to DIY, a FR driver in a decent cabinet is a good starting point

If its a one-off build, then I'd try to find somewhere to listen to some Behringer B2030As (the others I've heard are good, but price/performance, these are exceptional).

HTH

Chris
Old 16th January 2013, 12:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

chris661 said it all ;-) though I never heard the Behringers, maybe I should have a look at it ... sounds interesting.
Old 24th January 2013, 08:56 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I had to leave the country for few weeks so i'll probably start the project at the end of february/beginning of march; thx for the replies so far
By any chance, does anybody knows some dealers/shops in Dubai where i could audition full range speakers? Where i live this possibility in non-existent and i have some spare time during my stay.

Hide this!Advertise here!