Retro Style Airplay Boombox with Alpair 10 MAOP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody

I was able to finsh my latest project last week. I don't exactly know why I keep building boomboxes or speaker docks. Somehow it is fun for me.

Anyway, here are some details of my last project.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I had the chance to get the MAOP version of the Markaudio Alpair 10 speakers (Thanks Mark). The MAOP version of the Alpair 10 speakers have a modified cone compaired to the original version of the Alpair 10. You can find more information on this in this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/194359-alpair-10-gen-maop-prototype-tw-1-a.html .

As an amplifier I used the Hifimediy T2 again. The only modifications to this amp is an alps “blue velvet” volume pot. The amplifier is powered by a Meanwell NES 350W power supply. Since the amp got a little bit to hot for my taste in my last box, I have mounted a silent fan on the backplate for the connectors. A selector switch for the input sources has also been added. Wireless music over Airplay is realized with an built-in Apple AirPort Express. There is a charging function for USB devices as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As a template for the speaker itself, I oriented myself on the construction plan of Erich Hartmann (Erich's Hartmann's bookshelf box). The placement of the chassis are not as ideal as in Erich's plan since they are not fully centered. The vents are on the backside, as opposed to Erich's plan. The box is seperated into three chambers. Each speaker chambers is about 14.5 litres and the walls are damped with acoustic foam. In contrast to my previous boxes this box has a curved front. In this way I hope for a better angle of dispersion for stereo sound. The veneer used on this box is bubinga rosewood which looks a little bit like red wine.

I really like the sound of the box although I am not yet able to make a final statement since both the speakers and the amplifier have just played for roughly 50 hours. The speakers have definetly the lowest bass of all the alpairs I have had. I will say some more words on this in a couple of weeks.

Here is a very crappy video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgMljnH9Yjc

I would really appreciate questions and suggestions for furture builds.

Cheers

ElAdMi

Last edited:
Very nice work indeed, but it seems a shame to waste a pair of MAOP units in a compromised enclosure setting. Might be worth dropping a stock pair of 10.2s into this, & using the SE units in something where they can give of their best. Just a thought.

That apart, for what it is, I really like it, particularly the slightly curved front baffle, although you might want to try something other than acoustic foam internally, which isn't all that great at damping. Acoustic fiberglass, BAF wadding, Monacor's MDM3 or similar should have an edge.

Last edited:
Very nice work indeed, but it seems a shame to waste a pair of MAOP units in a compromised enclosure setting. Might be worth dropping a stock pair of 10.2s into this, & using the SE units in something where they can give of their best. Just a thought.

Hi Scott

I have had the same thought. I might swap them into different enclosures but I really love the looks. ;-)

That apart, for what it is, I really like it, particularly the slightly curved front baffle, although you might want to try something other than acoustic foam internally, which isn't all that great at damping. Acoustic fiberglass, BAF wadding, Monacor's MDM3 or similar should have an edge.

I will certainly consider this for my next build.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Due to your comments and a little bit of thinking from my side I decided to build new homes for the MAOPs and bought a pair of "normal" Alpair 10 for the speaker dock.
For the new boxes I have used Erich's bookshelf box design as a baseline and changed just some minor things (e.g. better damping - Thanks Scottmoose :D).
Well, I have to say that the MAOPs sound better in the new boxes even with a cheap Lepai amp. The good thing was that they have already run in.
I will get my new amp and some speaker stands next week and am looking forward to listen to the MAOPs again.

I shot a couple of pictures with my phon, but the quality is not so great:
MAOP_2-1024x768.jpg

MAOP_3-768x1024.jpg

MAOP_4-1024x768.jpg

Cheers

...The speakers have definetly the lowest bass of all the alpairs I have had. I will say some more words on this in a couple of weeks...

Eldadmi,

Did the bass changed with the change of driver model? And, have you tried stuffing the enclosure with some poly-fill or suitable material to see if there is an bass increase without affecting the overall sound quality?

Very nice work!!!

Hi guangui

I can't tell you if the bass has changed. The new Alpairs have just played 50 or so hours. I am very pleased with the bass of both types of Alpair 10. I don't think that there are many fullrange drivers of this kind that have a better bass performance. They are no subwoofers but that is not what they were made for. I used sheeps wool as stuffing for both boxes (Sheeps Wool Sound Insulating Material, 20 l from Conrad.com) and I am pleased with the result. Fot the inside walls of the bookshelf boxes i used Tyrofoam.

The box stands arrived but I still have to wait for my amp until Tuesday. :sad:

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.