FAST woofer choice for Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I am looking to develop a few products that can be produced and sold on a very small 'made to order' level.

I am looking at producing a FAST that resembles the B&W 800D
images

With the Alpair 7.3 in a turned plywood teardrop shape.

And a woofer or two in a curved plywood cabinet.

I am currently using a miniDSP for active crossover. I believe I would cross somewhere between 80Hz-150Hz, is this strickly subwoofer territory?

Based in Uk, driver choice and their related prices are not good as those in the US.

Can anyone recommend fantastic woofer. 10" would match the teardrops diameter and look visually good, Im happy to have any sort of cabinet design, be it ported, sealed, with a passive radiator...

The only driver that has sprung out at me so far is the Peerless XLS10 which can be found on ebay for £70 a piece. This is towards the upper end of my budget. If I am going to try and sell them, they obviously have to be of the highest quality...but putting a £750 Accuton woofer in, would price out most markets. I guess £100 a driver shipped would be top.

These will be demo units, and hopefully will lead to the sale of a few as built units or perhaps kits. So drivers must be able to be sourced easily.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks, I have edited the original post to reflect your questions for other readers (80-150Hz crossover, Active XO so can play around)

The Peerless 8" looks good. At $66 is £50. In english/European stockists £75. If I needed two for each cabinet £300 total (or less from the states, but once taxes, shipping, more taxes...) perhaps a little too much?

Willing to stretch for the right driver, Would prefer to keep it to a single unit (or with passive radiator) as the miniDSP has 4 outs, so two woofers would have to be joined in parallel or series which seems to add perhaps unnecessary complications.

I keep on hearing about TangBand, and them making some really great products, but again it seems to mainly be in the US (Europe-Audio sell them) and we don't have access to the prices that make them so appealing.

So ideally woofer choices that are available in Europe...

Another possibility is the SEAS LR22RN4X/P (H1208), which you can get from Wilmslow Audio. They are about £70. The SEAS L26ROY or 'RO4Y would probably be ideal, but is too expensive. An application of the LR22RN4X/P is in the Hi-fi Critic magazine's 'Rhythm King' kit speaker, used in a sealed enclosure. It did occur to me when I heard of that design that an Alpair 7 could be substituted for the BMR and probably sound better too. Sensitivity of the two drivers is fairly close, IIRC, so a passive version might work well.

Here is the basic idea.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

However as this will in a few months hopefully form the bass cabinet of a compression driver/horn combination ala Avant Garde Duo, maybe I should look into loading the driver?

Ill draw up some pictures, but until then 10" woofers in the UK for reasonable prices is what im looking for.

hmmm, looks good. and a good price too (often Wilmslow seem to be pretty expensive).

Is there any great reason you would choose this over the XLS? Excluding the £20 difference. I have read the XLS works well in a 20L cabinet, for small subs. As I have the luxury of building a bigger cabinet, maybe this is a drawback.

If I crossed the woofer at say 150Hz, realistically what frequency would the driver still be playing at, dave mentioned playing nice up to 1Khz.

With the help of Wine, I now have WinISD working on my mac, and so can start modelling, if I figure out how to use it and input all the data!

...£54 exl VAT.

These appear to be coming in around £62 from other sites, which still seems reasonable. The XLS are £70 on ebay at the moment, but are listed at well over £130-£160 ea on other sites. Perhaps a shame to miss out on a bargain, they are 4Ohm though..?

I originally was working this out for a 12"/15" driver, but changed this for aesthetic reasons. But would rather have one larger driver than try and integrate two.

Anyone used this site?

www.loudspeakershop.eu

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.