Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Solder terminals inside speaker cabinet?

Hello I have a pair of nice sounding Infinity RS-2001 that I'm pretty happy with. I'd like to try and improve their sound if possible. I was wondering if I soldered the internal connection wires to the internal speaker terminals, if that would possibly improve the sound. Right now they just slide on with a fairly tight friction fit.
Old 13th January 2013, 05:38 PM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

If the contact resistance was 0.05R then you are loosing 0.054dB of your power compared to a contact resistance of 0R. (based on 8R speakers)

I don't think I could tell the difference.

Some people solder them internally like you've suggested.

The only advantage I could see is that it will not come loose or change.

Your call.

Old 13th January 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You wont come up with a measurable difference.
Just a difference your ears will appreciate. Less grit and grain.

The best sound I've heard, yet been unable to measure any difference:
For no xover:
Solder bare speaker on to the little fine copper braid wire going to the speaker driver terminal. Careful to fasten the heavy speaker wire on to the speaker frame or something so it doesn't pull the fine copper wire at all.

Xover: Do the same to all drivers from the xover wires.

Eliminate speaker binding posts, they all suck. But are convenient.

I just soldered speaker wire on to the full range driver wire then soldered the speaker wire on to the circuit board of a Lepai 2020A+ amp, not using the cheap speaker wire connectors.

Less grain and grit, cleaner clearer.

Essentially free, and reversible. But no measurable diff.
Old 14th January 2013, 01:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'll give you a dollar to a donut that you can't hear the difference in a blind ABX.

Soldering wires to the driver tinsels is just asking for trouble somewhere down the line. I do solder the internal wires to the speaker terminals simply because screwing with those slip-on connectors is more of a PITA the simply soldering to the terminals. i do not put the wire through the hole in the in the speaker terminal. I make a loop in the end of the wire and then tack solder the wire to the terminal. Removing the driver means simply heating the joint and the wire falls off.

What you do at the amp end is strictly your business, but again, I doubt that you can detect a difference in a blind ABX. However, I can say that direct soldering to a Lepai smack as a pearls/swine situation.

Bob
Old 14th January 2013, 06:41 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I'll give you a dollar to a donut that you can't hear the difference in a blind ABX.

Soldering wires to the driver tinsels is just asking for trouble somewhere down the line. I do solder the internal wires to the speaker terminals simply because screwing with those slip-on connectors is more of a PITA the simply soldering to the terminals. i do not put the wire through the hole in the in the speaker terminal. I make a loop in the end of the wire and then tack solder the wire to the terminal. Removing the driver means simply heating the joint and the wire falls off.

What you do at the amp end is strictly your business, but again, I doubt that you can detect a difference in a blind ABX. However, I can say that direct soldering to a Lepai smack as a pearls/swine situation.

Bob

yet again another opportunity to agree with Bob, well except for the high carbo loaded snack prize - I'll go for a "bag of chips"

Here it goes: I challenge anyone to conduct or reference a listening test in which the only variable is the use of soldered vs whatever other method of connection might have theoretical advantages

So in other words, to test the putative effects on imaging, detail, yada yada ad naseum, this would require a pair of enclosures and driver complement identical in all other respects. Who's got the time for a that?
($hit, I might actually know someone like that , but he's not talking)

If anyone has resources to conduct such a test, or reference to scientifically rigorous data on the subject please elucidate us.

attribute this attitude with pejoratives of your choice (considering the forum's rules of decorum) but really aren't there far more important things to worry about?

personally, I solder all internal connections , and use lighter gauge wire than many folks consider minimal - the latter of which is a whole 'nother can of wuppa$$
Old 14th January 2013, 09:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

(Skids to hault).

I don't have any data to hand but connection losses etc. are a reality; there's plenty of data in industry on the subject. However, as far as speakers are concerned, you need high efficiency for these to potentially become audibile, even when it comes to what are fairly major interruptions in the signal chain, e.g. binding posts, large compression fittings etc. Soldering tinsel leads on a set of middling efficiency standmounts (IIRC, the Infinity's are 89dB 1m/1w)? -I'm with Bob. Forget it. You might think you can hear a difference afterward, but it's almost certain to be self-fulfilling prophesy. Under double-blind conditions the likelihood of audible changes are at best miniscule. No harm in carefully cleaning all the contacts etc. though to remove corrosion &c.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:55 AM   #7
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you pull out the xo?
Maybe upgrade some of the parts?
Old 14th January 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post

Bob
Thank you for your OPINION. Every one has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
(Skids to hault).

I don't have any data to hand but connection losses etc. are a reality; there's plenty of data in industry on the subject. However, as far as speakers are concerned, you need high efficiency for these to potentially become audibile, even when it comes to what are fairly major interruptions in the signal chain, e.g. binding posts, large compression fittings etc. Soldering tinsel leads on a set of middling efficiency standmounts (IIRC, the Infinity's are 89dB 1m/1w)? -I'm with Bob. Forget it. You might think you can hear a difference afterward, but it's almost certain to be self-fulfilling prophesy. Under double-blind conditions the likelihood of audible changes are at best miniscule. No harm in carefully cleaning all the contacts etc. though to remove corrosion &c.
You might think you CANNOT hear a difference afterward, but it's almost certain to be self-fulfilling prophesy.

Aren't opinions fun?
Mine included.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Indeed it is my opinion. I am entitled to hold it, and express it. Could you cease using bold text please? The rest of us don't need to have our eyeballs assaulted, nor does it make you seem a profound sage, here to pass benign and reasoned judgement on the rest of us kindly regarded, but erring children.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th January 2013 at 01:03 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!