Audio nirvina super 12 vs super 15?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I was looking at the A.N. super 12 vs the super 15 drivers? The price between the 12s and 15s is over $200 dollars. Is it worth it to spend the $200 dollars more? Can anyone tell me any information regarding the sound between these two drivers? This will be my first time spending this kinda money and I am a little nervous to be honest. So please help me out if you can? Thank jm

There's More hope of actually achieving a full range with a smaller diameter driver cone...imo 12" is unlikely to do so and 15" stretches beyond my belief.
Alnico imo is always preferable
Beyond that there seems to be a Lot of Hype on these products... which clouds a reasoned decision.

Imo, the audio nirvana 12 sounds really good. I have mine in an open baffle running fullrange. The midrange is to die for. The highs beams though so i dont have them Point directly to my ears. I had them setup with a helper woofer and tweeter before crossed at around 400hz and 12k before as a test and they worked out pretty well.

I do like the sound of these drivers on open baffles.

It's (OB) about the only practical use for them in normal domestic situations, since they are not excempt from the laws of physics.

The 15s appear to be gaining a good reputation, within the rather severe restrictions of how they can be practically used. I know Bud likes them. The 12s seem to be less highly thought of. They'll move more air than smaller drivers, but rely more heavily on the whizzer cone, so like all such units they're actually a coax 2-way; the XO just happens to be mechanical rather than electrical.

There was a pretty in depth thread written by some guy from Australia i think. Anyway, he did some open baffle and some cabinets, more than one of each. He posted listening impressions as well as measurements. Very good thread imho. Might do a search and check it out. The guy got bounced from the board for some reason, don't recall, but i thought the guy brought up some pretty good points. He also had some 10s, but didn't seem to like them as much. Good read if you can find it. Regards, J.D.

I haven't heard the 15's but I do respect the opinions of Bud and others on them. What I do have are the 12's and am using them open baffle with slot loaded woofers below 70Hz. They might miss a slight amount of air on the uppermost octave however the midrange is superb. These are not what I'd go with for big crescendo orchestra pieces but within their limits they are VERY good. I mean singers in the room right beside you good! At one point i also used them in a sealed well stuffed 2 cu ft cabinet. Not ideal but still had magic. Take a look at what Nelson Pass had at Burning Amp and you might get some ideas. Would the 15's with helper woofer and super tweeter be even better? Probably. Would either be the ne plus ultra of speakers? Nah, but they are FUN.

I have the Audio Nirvana Super 15, haven't really run it in yet. Just gave it a few hours to see how it sounds.

Sound is pretty good, but needs tweeter help... I bought a cheap ribbon tweeter to supplement it, too busy to try anything yet.

Now, as for why it might sound good.... My guess is this.... the whizzer cone... At 4" diameter it is pretty much a speaker in its own right.;) So the speaker should sound more like a 4" AN without a rubber surround...

Oon

I can say from experience with my 12's that these speakers as with lots of other speakers really benefit smooth out and come alive after a break in period. As much as I enjoyed them right away, at about 200 hours they were much much better. FWIW I think for the 15's the B&G Neo3 might be a really could tweeter choice. Have fun.

I run my AN cast frame 12's xover at 70Hz 24dB slope (have tried other settings so far this seems best) I do not use any shaping filter, but of course twin 18's are covering the low end. I thought seriously of doing the whole Enable treatment however once I crossed the 200 - 300 hour mark I found the sound quality improved enough not to keep the Enable on the front burner. At some point I'll switch them out and do the treatment but for now they get a fair amount of use for stereo only listening. I do hear some strain at big crescendo levels however thats only about 5% of my listening. Like most good set ups the quality of the front end means alot and they resolve it well.

I run my AN cast frame 12's xover at 70Hz 24dB slope (have tried other settings so far this seems best) I do not use any shaping filter, but of course twin 18's are covering the low end. I thought seriously of doing the whole Enable treatment however once I crossed the 200 - 300 hour mark I found the sound quality improved enough not to keep the Enable on the front burner. At some point I'll switch them out and do the treatment but for now they get a fair amount of use for stereo only listening. I do hear some strain at big crescendo levels however thats only about 5% of my listening. Like most good set ups the quality of the front end means alot and they resolve it well.
OK< Thanks Bro.

the high end is a personal/subjective matter.

for example i do not have much hearing above 15K so the increased output of the 12s there helps me.
Any adult person rarely ear the treble fundamental freq(called H1 in electro-acoustics), but all feel these hi freq as a better sound quality.
Of course if one work in automotive sound or pro-audio sound his mind will be full unaware of this better sound quality.
In this case the ears are ruined to hi fidelity sound.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.