Audio nirvina super 12 vs super 15?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm. SACD theoretically provided an extended upper BW inasmuch as it isn't brickwall filtered just above 20KHz. Unfortunately things aren't as simple as that: the DSD pulse-density modulation encoding method has very high noise levels in the higher frequencies. Above 20KHz it had high levels of noise with a quickly rising noise floor, severely restricting dynamic range of these out of band frequencies. To an extent, that was the point; they were using noise-shaping techniques to shunt it out of the audio band & thereby improve things lower down.

Even a elder ear can identify that the CD hi freq is bad, cause the brick wall filter kill the harmonics above 22kHz.

Utter, complete nonesense. At my elder age (69), I can here to 12k at normal volume and to 14K with my ear pressed to the speaker. I cannot tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/96. I can barely tell 320MP3 from 16/44 and only because I know what I am listening for. Modern CDs,as in anything from the last 20 years have a much better filter than the original CDs that were pretty harsh.

I don't have a turntable, but I don't like the sound of vinyl primarly because they are invariably run through tube that change the sound of the original recording. This is strictly personal preference, but doubt that most people could correctly identify a decent CD from the same mix on vinyl.

Bob

Last edited:
There is a "standard audiophile" setup. You see it at shows, you read about it on line. Vinyl>tubes(preferably SET)>fire hose sized cables>speakers being demo'd. The higher the cost of components, the "better" the system. You get the same general sound--boom tizz with a warm, fuzzy feeling. The boom is due to inappropriate eq for the room, but we have all become accustomed to it and it impresses us with the bass performance of the speakers. The warm fuzzy feeling is due to the unavoidable even harmonics produced by the SET amp, particularly the low power ones.

Now, you have given me my personal preferences, and I will give you yours. If you like the sound of a flea-powered SET, go for it! I don't. Probably more than anything else, I find the sound of a SET inappropriate for my music library. It is predominantly Baroque with heavy emphasis on Vivaldi, Telemann and Handel. I have fully 1/3 of Vivaldi's total known output including the complete numbered opuses.

Bob

Is there anyone here who can support FullRangeMan's arguments? 'Cause i think they are wildly unscientific.

That's because they are. ;)

I do understand where he's coming from; since there is some (some) evidence we are sensitive to very high frequencies above the nominal BW limits of our ears. And certainly, chopping harmonics can have odd effects lower down. But the science doesn't back up the instances given. SACD's upper BW is extended, but the rocketing HF noisefloor usually swamps most of this (and many players are actually lowpassed anyway). The object was not really to extend the HF limits & more to shunt noise out of the primary audio band, which it achieved to an extent in comparison to the redbook CD PCM format. Not that it makes much difference since SACD has just about gone the way of the dodo now.

Lest this sound like an anti-SACD rant, I should say that my source is an SACD player.

It makes sense if you know that there are 2 hearing systems built into humans, one that tends to lose HF as you age (the one they typically test), and one that degrades much less.

dave
The external ear has a analogue mechanical working and the internal ear has a digital working to send info to the brain.
the-human-ear.gif

Uh...

Is there anyone here who can support FullRangeMan's arguments? 'Cause i think they are wildly unscientific.
I simplify to you understand, I surprised you dont get it yet, psyco-acoustics is all about masking sound to the brain.
Even an air conditioning engineer can understand what effect harmonics had in music.
By chance do you work in Pro-Audio?? or hi SPL conditions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.